What's new

Yates 921-M First Impressions

This beauty arrived today and I proceeded with my nightly shave ritual. It is an incredibly well engineered and produced razor. The thin long handle was a concern for me since I prefer a heavy fat handle. After using it I liked the feel and the balance of the thin long handle. I acquired one of the short fat Yates handles through a trade and planned to try that next. On the first pass almost no blade feel. It was fairly efficient for a mild razor. I did notice on my cross grain and against grain passes the razor felt different from side to side. Not sure why. To the naked eye it almost looks like the geometry is different. Still shaved very well for the first try. Zero irritation and overall very smooth. Emailed Yates with questions and will definitely update after a few more shaves.

IMG_6635.jpg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
This beauty arrived today and I proceeded with my nightly shave ritual. It is an incredibly well engineered and produced razor. The thin long handle was a concern for me since I prefer a heavy fat handle. After using it I liked the feel and the balance of the thin long handle. I acquired one of the short fat Yates handles through a trade and planned to try that next. On the first pass almost no blade feel. It was fairly efficient for a mild razor. I did notice on my cross grain and against grain passes the razor felt different from side to side. Not sure why. To the naked eye it almost looks like the geometry is different. Still shaved very well for the first try. Zero irritation and overall very smooth. Emailed Yates with questions and will definitely update after a few more shaves.

View attachment 1444226

Ya, I am going to have to agree, that razor handle is super thin though! I own a Feather AS-D2 and a Rex Ambassador, and I can tell you hands down, I appreciate the thickness of those handles, expecially the quality grip on them. With the handle of your razor, you better not have soapy fingers, loose razors, create blood rivers. It looks like its an open combs too right, I mean, I see grooves there, or is that just one of those grooves meant for lather displacement deals.

How do you like that brush? I like the handle you have on it, very sensible. Looks like maybe bore bristles? Looks like you enjoy creams, do you apply your cream directly to the face, or do you try to whip up a lather in a bowl? I tried to do that with a CC cream in a scuttle, didn't work out so well. And how you like that aftershave, I mean, I think its aftershave?

I like your razor stand/holder/wrack.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I will order one soon, in the next days, perhaps even today.

Buyers, please note that the coupon codes CART10 and SUBSCRIBE10 work all the time. Leaving your razor in the basket and not checking for a few hours out might result in an automated offer you cannot... well, you could refuse it, it's usually the CART10 coupon, when few are left in stock I already got some extra rebate on top of that. And didn't order at that time, my bad.

@OP: May I ask if this is the machined or the polished version? Looks machined to me, and for me that looks fine enough. That's why I am asking. I am trying to get the price below some EU custom tresholds, the Machined version might do that.

Smart move on the Yates. Love my Yates. Used the M plate for a couple of years and then just for sport bought the H plate. The H plate really speaks to me. Still comfortable like the M, yet more efficient. My best performing razor.

Last edited:
Jake responded to my email last night and he is shipping me a new top cap.

Can you compare 921M to other razors?

It is a medium razor but until I try the other top cap I'm not sure if I can compare it to any of my current favorites. As it is, it is a great shave. The new cap I'm hoping will make it even better. Will post back after giving that a run.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

It is a medium razor but until I try the other top cap I'm not sure if I can compare it to any of my current favorites. As it is, it is a great shave. The new cap I'm hoping will make it even better. Will post back after giving that a run.

Well that sure took awhile didn't it? Didn't you report on this issue like 2-weeks ago? At least this situation is getting resolved hopefully. IMO, razors shouldn't be shipped out defective. They should all be properly inspected for defects. I am so glad that Rex razors get checked by an actual person. I got my fingers crossed that the new top cap is going to work for you. 🤞

Well that sure took awhile didn't it? Didn't you report on this issue like 2-weeks ago? At least this situation is getting resolved hopefully. IMO, razors shouldn't be shipped out defective. They should all be properly inspected for defects. I am so glad that Rex razors get checked by an actual person. I got my fingers crossed that the new top cap is going to work for you. 🤞

I received the razor yesterday so you must be thinking of something else.

Did shave with it again today. Still received a very nice shave. Hoping the new cap is even better.

Thank you , waiting for your conclusion

Received the new cap and have shaved twice. Blade feel is better and razor feels the same from side to side. Produces a very good shave for me with the M plate. It feels like a totally different razor.

As far as comparing it to other razor, I still can't. My best comparison is a less aggressive Blackbird but it gives me a more efficient shave than the blackbird with more comfort.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Received the new cap and have shaved twice. Blade feel is better and razor feels the same from side to side. Produces a very good shave for me with the M plate. It feels like a totally different razor.

As far as comparing it to other razor, I still can't. My best comparison is a less aggressive Blackbird but it gives me a more efficient shave than the blackbird with more comfort.

Well, way to go Classic! I am so happy for you! Thats really all you can hope for in a razor, something that shaves well, provides a smooth shave, and doesn't get you good with weepers, sending you crying running from the reapers. I also find its interesting how the different plates adjust the shave. I am happy to hear that you have a positive result with the new top cap, that is excellent! Major congrats! :thumbup:

Better than blackbirds? I was surprised

Nice. Glad the new cap fixed your issue. Yates is a great shave for sure. For me to top my Blackbird I had to go to the H plate, but the M is a fine performer and better than most in my den.

Top Bottom