What's new

Yasuki Kamisori Edge Protection?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am looking to buy a Japanese Yasuki Kamisori fixed handle straight razor (my first). I am currently in negotiations with the vendor on price.

My question related to protecting the blade's edge. I know that there are little plastic covers that can be purchased to protect the edge. What I am wondering about is what other methods are used.

The SR is pre WWII and 17.5mm wide. It appears to be a western grind but I could be wrong.

Reactions: Anu

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Maybe some magnetic stripping on each side would give you amble protection. Something like those magnetic business cards you see, not real strong but effective. Possibly a wooden case or a Pelican protective plastic case with lock taps. _liexpress has all kinds of lengths for various object sizes. I bought some Pelican type boxes for my DE razors.

I have an ohiri style that came in its original wood box wrapped in paper. The seller also included a nice box with velvet inside and a elastic piece in the center to hold the handle and keep the razor centered in the box. I have seen a few cool wood ideas too. Google kamisori holders to see some. A lot of the old razor cases that hold like six razors and have velvet inside seem to work as I have seen kamisori razor lots for sale in those.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Simply DIY with one piece of wood.
kamiholder.png

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thank you for the replies so far. What I am looking for is something like a case that protects the edge and store the Kamisori in when traveling.

So something more in the line of an etui/sheath I'd imagine. It could prove a nice DiY leatherworking project.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
So something more in the line of an etui/sheath I'd imagine. It could prove a nice DiY leatherworking project.

That could be of interest to me. Looking into it, I cannot see how a leather sheath would protect the edge. The one you linked to was a replaceable blade Kamisori where the "edge" is removed before being stored in the sheath.

There are so many different methods. I like the fancy ones made of wood or metal. But I don't have a lot of time or shelf space. So I fold over a piece of file folder. The top is open, so there is no blunt contact to the edge. By taping at the tang, the razor is prevented from rotating up and exposing the edge. And there is VCI paper inside. Not very fancy, but easy to make with a little trial and error. Then I place it in a small plastic sleeve with a zip top. It's not so nice looking and not for presentation, but it works very well. I can keep them together safely in a box. I guess someone may be able to go fancy here with a small piece of leather.

PXL_20210921_131648013.jpg

Last edited:
When I travel with a kamisori, I wrap it in a handkerchief, stuff it into a paulownia wood box, and secure the box with rubber bands.

I'm glad to see there is interest in kamisoris. They are nimble little blades; quite good for detail work on a beard or goatee. Maybe we will see a thread here, "What kamisori did you use today?"

My question related to protecting the blade's edge. I know that there are little plastic covers that can be purchased to protect the edge. What I am wondering about is what other methods are used.
What I am looking for is something like a case that protects the edge and store the Kamisori in when traveling.
^ I know you're not keen on them (from what you've said). But if you get the correct sized cover (not always easy) the blade is protected, it slides in and out easily (with a little resistance), and is perfect for chucking in your toiletry bag.

My Hoshi Tombo:
Kamisori-in-Safety-Cover_2021-09-21.jpg

Safety Cover LINK

That could be of interest to me. Looking into it, I cannot see how a leather sheath would protect the edge. The one you linked to was a replaceable blade Kamisori where the "edge" is removed before being stored in the sheath.
It was meant like a possible solution, and leather can protect the blade well enough.

I gotta say, of all the shaving options out there, a kamisori seems the least convenient for traveling, specifically.
I respectfully disagree. One of the time consuming parts of the shaving process is drying the razor. Most people will get water or soap in the scale and especially in the pivot area. You might be careful, but it is going to happen. And the insides of the scales must be thoroughly dried. But the kamisori is so simple to dry, it will save you time when traveling. I don't travel much with razors; just saying.

twocents.jpg

I respectfully disagree. One of the time consuming parts of the shaving process is drying the razor. Most people will get water or soap in the scale and especially in the pivot area. You might be careful, but it is going to happen. And the insides of the scales must be thoroughly dried. But the kamisori is so simple to dry, it will save you time when traveling. I don't travel much with razors; just saying.

View attachment 1332131
That makes a lot of sense.

^ I know you're not keen on them (from what you've said). But if you get the correct sized cover (not always easy) the blade is protected, it slides in and out easily (with a little resistance), and is perfect for chucking in your toiletry bag.

My Hoshi Tombo:
View attachment 1332099

Safety Cover LINK

My concern about that sort of arrangement would be that it would retain, rather than dissipate, any moisture. In a very humid climate, it might even encourage condensation.

Top Bottom