What's new

Yardley Solid Brilliantine - Pics

Gentlemen, last week West Coast Shaving had a 35 percent off clearance sale sonI picked up a jar of this old brand's hair dressing. Now mind, this is pretty much a straight up scented, petrolatum 'pomade' sort of dressing and is usually a big no no for me. I have a really full head of hair with some body to it. However, it is fairly fine and most liquid or really soft petro based dressings cause it to go really flat and sometimes stringy looking. So I use these very sparingly. Had to have it though. I am a sucker for such things. Scent reminds me a bit of Linettis.

IMG_20180729_135727.jpg

IMG_20180729_135814.jpg
IMG_20180729_135842.jpg

Todd, this is the stuff. It's excellent.

In about the past decade I've used this with Groom & Clean mixing them together to produce the best hair control. This is in following Cary Grant's custom as articulated in the book "Cary Grant A Celebration of Style" by Richard Torregrossa.

I add the mixture to damp hair and slick into place. It holds all day and looks as wet a shiney as old the Hollywood greats. I like the slick look so this works for me.

As a bonus, since it's mixed with G&C, it rinses out quite easily at the end of the day. I use about 60% G&C to 40% brilliantine and it works wonders for me.

In whatever capacity you use it I hope you enjoy it.

Chris

Chris, thank you for the nice reply. I remembered reading about Cary Grant's simple mixture of two products but had forgotten which ones. Unfortunately for me, the shiny look of his hair is not in the cards for me. Wrong colur of hair mostly.

Malocchio is THE man with these traditional hair dressing products. A few years ago I found an empty tin of Yardley's solid brilliantine. Loved the art work. I always wish I could find a Yardley shave soap and vintage brilliantine in some shop...just waiting for me to give them a new hone.

Imo its shine isn't as high as expected and is supposed to have more shine for its super soft consistency - Murray's eXelento is more solid yet has a much higher shine.
Do't get me wrong though, still a good shine, but what I love about it is its scent. Reminds me of Cajaput oil.
Here's a picture of me half a year back rocking a silver-screen, Valentino-esque side part with it.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Top Bottom