What's new

Yardley Bath soap for shaving?

I preface this by saying it is probably a dumb question, but has anyone ever tried to make a lather out of a bath soap? The yardley is very slick and moisturizing, so I'm tempted to try it. But if this is an obvious fail then I wont bother. Thoughts?

I've used it, pretty good. better than Williams, and I like Williams. not a bash. I shaved it into a cup thingy. plus its at the 99 cent store. I've used the almond and lemon, soaps.

If necessary, you can shave with a great many things. If you're on the run, a stick of butter or some automotive lubricant might work. But under ordinary circumstances, why would you want to? There are so many good, inexpensive soaps to be had. Don't settle for the merely adequate when the sublime is available.

The only bath soap (or as their marketing department would prefer to call it, a "facial" soap) that I have ever found which can also make a decent shaving soap is Neutrogena's "facial cleansing bar". It's a tallow-based transparent glycerin soap which actually performs pretty well as a shaving soap.
It is also a good example as to why I get pedantically frustrated at those who often (and mistakenly) think that any soap which does not contain "tallow" must therefore be a "glycerin" soap.

The only bath soap (or as their marketing department would prefer to call it, a "facial" soap) that I have ever found which can also make a decent shaving soap is Neutrogena's "facial cleansing bar". It's a tallow-based transparent glycerin soap which actually performs pretty well as a shaving soap.
It is also a good example as to why I get pedantically frustrated at those who often (and mistakenly) think that any soap which does not contain "tallow" must therefore be a "glycerin" soap.

From the company website-
Triethanolamine, TEA Stearate, Sodium Tallowate, Glycerin, Water, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Ricinoleate, Sodium Oleate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Stearate, BHT, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Trisodium HEDTA, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Fragrance (Scented option only)

I have shaved with some "all natural soap" that you may find at street fares. It all works, but since we have an endless supply of great stuff to shave with the question would be... why?

I do agree with the Why statement above, however one day I want to try shaving with an Old Ghar Aleppo soap as this was used for this purpose for millennia? :001_rolle

Vintage Yardley soap is highly prized, so I found the tallow bath soap inexpensively and was wondering if it was worth trying. I have a number of excellent soaps, just as I have a number of excellent razors. But that does not stop me or many others from picking up old crusty ones at an antique store with the hope of giving it new life. It will not be as good as many finer specimens, but that doesn't mean that it cannot have new life breathed into it. I think the challenge and the idea of making something work motivates a lot of people here. And without constantly rethinking things, then we have succumbed to the notion that all the knowledge and understanding of shaving has already been discovered and discussed. While many great companies have stopped producing various razors, soaps, blades, etc...I do not think the shaveapocalypse is coming, but rather a rebirth of shaving. For those of you who have been doing this for decades, I envy many of the fine offerings once available, but also pity you for having to see great products discontinued. For myself and the newer generation of wet-shavers, it is a joy to try new things, to experiment, and to kindle this fabulous hobby

I won't try Yarleys to shave but I love it as a bath soap. I feel and smell Clean.:thumbup:

I went ahead and used it in the shower this morning. Now my whole bathroom smells like Lavender. I don't know how to rate bath soap, as, well, its soap. But this stuff is great

I've shaved with dove soap a few times. Actually worked very well and had zero nicks or irritation. I figured I would since my dad used a hot lather machine that actually requested a bar of dove to refill it.

I've shaved with dove soap a few times. Actually worked very well and had zero nicks or irritation. I figured I would since my dad used a hot lather machine that actually requested a bar of dove to refill it.

Interesting. The only lather machines I've heard of use a special cream/liquid

I read about that here on B&B, went right over to the drug store and bought the VDH and Yardley. Milled them together and tried to work up a lather. I didn't like the final product, so I had a big bar of nice bath soap.

I really do like the Yardley's bath soaps used just for that purpose.

if necessary, you can shave with a great many things. If you're on the run, a stick of butter or some automotive lubricant might work. But under ordinary circumstances, why would you want to? There are so many good, inexpensive soaps to be had. Don't settle for the merely adequate when the sublime is available.

+6

I read about that here on B&B, went right over to the drug store and bought the VDH and Yardley. Milled them together and tried to work up a lather. I didn't like the final product, so I had a big bar of nice bath soap.

I really do like the Yardley's bath soaps used just for that purpose.

I think the idea is to mill vintage tallow bath soaps, not modern vegetable soaps....

Top Bottom