What's new

Yaqi Sentinel

Hi there @HQX,

Can you share a bit more detail on the fit and engineering of the Boti? I hear you on the polish, but how's the fit and machining? Any warping or uneven lines?

Thanks in advance.
I would say the build quality of the head is worse than DScosmetic and YAQI or most CNC razors.

Corners of the top cap seem to be over-polished. But there is no tolerance problem.

The handle is very nice.

I would say the build quality of the head is worse than DScosmetic and YAQI or most CNC razors.

Corners of the top cap seem to be over-polished. But there is no tolerance problem.

The handle is very nice.
I will recommend the satin matte version if you want one.

I will recommend the satin matte version if you want one.
Thanks :) I prefer shiny stuff. I was a little bummed with my sentinel when I found the edges slightly wonky and corners slightly bowed. I hope the Boti doesn't have similar issues. If it's just polishing issues without impacting the fit or alignment I could probably live with it. With this level of exposure I am expecting a very efficient razor.

Thanks :) I prefer shiny stuff. I was a little bummed with my sentinel when I found the edges slightly wonky and corners slightly bowed. I hope the Boti doesn't have similar issues. If it's just polishing issues without impacting the fit or alignment I could probably live with it. With this level of exposure I am expecting a very efficient razor.
I re-polished my boti tonight. I'll post two figures here so you can see the problem of its polish finish.

It also came with some scratches the base plate.

As for the issue you mentioned, if you mean the blade is bent on sentinel, the boti doesn't have this problem.
Actually, I think sentinel is designed to work like that for better blade rigidity:balloon:.

ATT S2 vs boti (before re-polish)
before.jpg

ATT S2 vs boti (after re-polish)
re.jpg

I re-polished my boti tonight. I'll post two figures here so you can see the problem of its polish finish.

It also came with some scratches the base plate.

As for the issue you mentioned, if you mean the blade is bent on sentinel, the boti doesn't have this problem.
Actually, I think sentinel is designed to work like that for better blade rigidity:balloon:.

ATT S2 vs boti (before re-polish)
View attachment 1528272

ATT S2 vs boti (after re-polish)
Look like an improvement in the finish after you polished it.
What technique did you use the Dremel and some color of rouge?

Well I shaved with it, and let's just say I'm glad I didn't buy a Wolfman. I'm sure this isn't quite as nice as a real Wolfman, but if it's anything more than a close approximation I think I'll stick to my adjustables. I just have to bite the bullet and stop buying fixed-plate razors, I'm just never quite pleased with them. The last few I've bought are all very nice razors, don't get me wrong, but not one of them stacks up against the worst of my adjustables.

In this case the Yaqi Sentinel is a fine razor, smooth and efficient. But for me not efficient enough, and I'd be happy to sacrifice some smoothness for some added efficiency. Even with stretched skin and close attention, this razor just can't get as close as I'd like. It's left me with stubble on my neck and jaw that I just won't be able to get rid of without using another razor, on account of my inability to shave ATG except with the mildest of razors, and this razor not being efficient enough to really get close WTG. This middle-of-the-road approach to efficiency and aggressiveness is why I prefer adjustable razors and their ability to be super mild on one end and super aggressive on the other without any real effort at all.

So for me this one will be used very infrequently I'm sure, and ultimately will probably be sold off at a fraction of what I paid; maybe I'll give it to my brother, he's always wanted a Wolfman. I'll probably try it a few more times, but I'm not expecting much from it.

But now I know, beyond a doubt, that I just don't like fixed-plate razors unless their efficiency & aggressiveness is through the roof, and hopefully this will save me money over the long term.

Last edited:
Look like an improvement in the finish after you polished it.
What technique did you use the Dremel and some color of rouge?
I have to use sandpaper to flatten the surface first, because Boti did not clean up the satin matte finish before polishing, and that is why it looks like plated plastic in the first place.

After that I use rotary tool and diamond paste, finished by hand polish using #100000 diamond paste and a cloth.

I have to use sandpaper to flatten the surface first, because Boti did not clean up the satin matte finish before polishing, and that is why it looks like plated plastic.

After that I use rotary tool and diamond paste, finished by hand polish using #100000 diamond paste and a cloth.
Oh I see what you mean I had to do that with a 6S that had a like a divot in the top cap. Sanded it till you couldn't until.
It looks good thanks for the pictures

Well I shaved with it, and let's just say I'm glad I didn't buy a Wolfman. I'm sure this isn't quite as nice as a real Wolfman, but if it's anything more than a close approximation I think I'll stick to my adjustables. I just have to bite the bullet and stop buying fixed-plate razors, I'm just never quite pleased with them. The last few I've bought are all very nice razors, don't get me wrong, but not one of them stacks up against the worst of my adjustables.

In this case the Yaqi Sentinel is a fine razor, smooth and efficient. But for me not efficient enough, and I'd be happy to sacrifice some smoothness for some added efficiency. Even with stretched skin and close attention, this razor just can't get as close as I'd like. It's left me with stubble on my neck and jaw that I just won't be able to get rid of without using another razor, on account of my inability to shave ATG except with the mildest of razors, and this razor not being efficient enough to really get close WTG. This middle-of-the-road approach to efficiency and aggressiveness is why I prefer adjustable razors and their ability to be super mild on one end and super aggressive on the other without any real effort at all.

So for me this one will be used very infrequently I'm sure, and ultimately will probably be sold off at a fraction of what I paid; maybe I'll give it to my brother, he's always wanted a Wolfman. I'll probably try it a few more times, but I'm not expecting much from it.

But now I know, beyond a doubt, that I just don't like fixed-plate razors unless their efficiency & aggressiveness is through the roof, and hopefully this will save me money over the long term.
I know it's pretty much unobtanium at this junction, but you would have probably benefitted from a TAIGA :D I don't know if you have tried the Muramasa from Tatara. The fact that you get to play with the exposure instead of the gap also means (for me) that I get to dial up or down the efficiency as I like it. It does have some minor drawbacks (not aggressive enough) and too small a dial window to see the damned number, but for those who like or need their razors on the milder spectrum, this gives literally the best fine control for a mild to medium adjustable.

I know it's pretty much unobtanium at this junction, but you would have probably benefitted from a TAIGA :D I don't know if you have tried the Muramasa from Tatara. The fact that you get to play with the exposure instead of the gap also means (for me) that I get to dial up or down the efficiency as I like it. It does have some minor drawbacks (not aggressive enough) and too small a dial window to see the damned number, but for those who like or need their razors on the milder spectrum, this gives literally the best fine control for a mild to medium adjustable.
I have a Taiga, a Ti one. It’s currently my favorite razor, it’s fantastic. My only complaint is that it wants a neutral angle and I prefer a steep one. But opening it up to 7+ solves that problem pretty easily.

I want a Muramasa, but I’m afraid it won’t be efficient enough so unfortunately I’m going to pass.

Just received the Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 and had my first shave with it last night (Yaqi Sentinel, Gillette Silver Blue (3), Proraso Green).

Based upon my first experience with this razor, I like it a lot. It hits the sweet spot of smooth and efficient for me. It didn't bite, and at no time did it feel like it was anywhere near biting.

I prefer razors on the more aggressive/efficient side -- some of my favorite razors are the Muhle R41, Rockwell 6S R6, Tatara Masamune Nodachi, Dscosmetic Z0, Karve Christopher Bradley F plate, Fatip Open Comb Slant. The Sentinel tentatively joins this group of favored razors.

I've never shaved with an actual Wolfman, so that is a comparison I cannot make.

Last edited:
I dont know about the Sentinel but I bought the Telstar head from Yaqi (Lupo clone).

0.90mm blade gap, in the third pass ATG does feel aggressive. But very efficient.

proxy.php

@koenfucius how's the Sentinel doing for you? Thoughts on comparisons against other efficient razors? My tops are Yates 921EH, Timeless Ti95, and TiBird - so curious if you have thoughts of this one against those?

So I just received the Sentinel that I ordered back on Jan 11. Took less time than suggested to get here, about 2 weeks to North Texas. I shaved with it this morning - put it on a HALO titanium handle. So this head is advertised as 1.50mm gap and 0.05mm exposure. I can't believe those specs. I don't think so. Its one of the mildest razors I've used, absolutely zero irritation afterwards on the Alum, and while the shave was "ok", it was not remarkable - nowhere near as good as my Yates 921 EH, TiBird, Ti95, etc.

Somewhere I want to say that I read that people turn the bottom plate over to get a more aggressive shave? I'm not sure I follow that but curious what others think.

Build quality seems ok - tooling marks on the top cap inside though. For $50 shipped I'm not sure its a deal. Seems the Razorock offerings are a better buy, handle and head for similar price and better quality.

I'll likely pass this one off to someone else who wants to try it...

Iridian

Cool and slimy
This head design allows for extremely huge gaps while staying mild. I have a 1.15 only version from Boti that still does a bit better due to more exposure of the blade, which tops gap for this design. They are still both on the mild side.

So I just received the Sentinel that I ordered back on Jan 11. Took less time than suggested to get here, about 2 weeks to North Texas. I shaved with it this morning - put it on a HALO titanium handle. So this head is advertised as 1.50mm gap and 0.05mm exposure. I can't believe those specs. I don't think so. Its one of the mildest razors I've used, absolutely zero irritation afterwards on the Alum, and while the shave was "ok", it was not remarkable - nowhere near as good as my Yates 921 EH, TiBird, Ti95, etc.

Somewhere I want to say that I read that people turn the bottom plate over to get a more aggressive shave? I'm not sure I follow that but curious what others think.

Build quality seems ok - tooling marks on the top cap inside though. For $50 shipped I'm not sure its a deal. Seems the Razorock offerings are a better buy, handle and head for similar price and better quality.

I'll likely pass this one off to someone else who wants to try it...
Thanks for your review - I was / am curious how it stacks up to my Ti95 as well (which is kind of what usually holds me back in getting new razors to be honest). I think I need to bite the bullet sometime to find out. But your input certainly helps.

Cheers,

Guido

I read that people turn the bottom plate over to get a more aggressive shave? I'm not sure I follow that but curious what others think.
I don’t think this can actually be done. The pictures on the Yaqi website are misleading in that sense where in the last picture the baseplate is upside down. I am tempted to say that the razor doesn’t shave if you reverse the baseplate. It should look like a Wolfman from what I can tell at least.

Cheers,

Guido

Edit: they have a second listing of the razor head on their website:

This is mounted the right way I believe.

AND: this is advertised as 1.35 blade gap rather than the 1.50 - so we now have two Sentinel heads!

You (@N6GQ) ordered in January so that would still be the 1.5 gap I think, this is 1.35 addition was not there earlier this week to my knowledge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom