What's new

Yaqi Triplets.

First off, thanks to Boar Fighter, Aquilus and Esox, naughtilus for all the great info and especially to Nav for the great help.

Finally and I mean Finally I got the Yaqi brushes from the post office.

No wonder the address was incomplete, some over paid, under worked post office staff pasted a sticker over the apartment no and signed it off :a13:.

Anyway, I heard it pronounced as Yankee but I should sound like Yah Chi.

The brushes came in the most nonscript boxes imaginable...
IMG_20190524_200325.jpg

SG$ 25.02 | 24mm Ferrari Rough Complex Black Version Best Quality Brown Synthetic Hair Shaving Brushes
SG$ 25.02 | 24mm Ferrari Rough Complex Black Version Best Quality Brown Synthetic Hair Shaving Brushes

SG$ 30.82 | 24MM Yaqi Two Band Badger Hair Brushes For Razor

SG$ 42.02 | 24MM Yaqi Mysterious Space Color Handle Silvertip Badger Hair Knot Men Shaving Brushes
SG$ 42.02 | 24MM Yaqi Mysterious Space Color Handle Silvertip Badger Hair Knot Men Shaving Brushes

The brushes fresh from their boxes.
IMG_20190524_200514.jpg

The brushes in comparison to a RR Bruce.
IMG_20190524_200922.jpg

Now I've only tried a badger once or twice before and I better understand the term gel tips. Anyway, I did a gentle MBBM lather test with the badgers and the lather simply exploded.

What I wasn't expecting was the funk. It was like lathering with salted fish fins phew lol!

The damp bloom.
IMG_20190524_202545.jpg IMG_20190524_202655.jpg

Pretty amazing feeling but I prefer small to medium brushes and these guys bloom HUGE!

I tried the synthetic Ferrari and it suits my needs better even though, I love the feel of the badgers more.

I'll likely get smaller badgers in my next purchase and I really prefer bulb over fans knots due to the density and spring.

Anyway onwards to the short reviews:

24mm Brown Synthetic Ferrari

The black and red handle looks boring but it's a super brush and the handle is heavy, rock solid resin. The 24 mm knot doesn't splay as much as my Bruce but that's a great thing for me.

It lathers so easily and has absolutely zero skitch unlike, the Bruce which has a tiny bit of skitch. I love how precise it is on applying lather and the feel of the handle. Value for money and performance 10/10.

Next the 24MM Yaqi Two Band Badger:
Again the color of the handle isn't what I'll like as purple was never my color... I'm not Prince. However, its a solid handle of the highest quality.

The knot is suppose to be a bulb but the splay resembles a fan. The 2 band badger hair feels like a pusher, softer, broken in boar with a slight skitch.

The brush is 80mm wide and covers almost my entire cheek. I'm not sure how to use it well as it like lathering with a giant foam ball. It's about as precise as a mop.

The great news is it lathers like a dream. You can make mountains of lather in no time and it has just the right amount of backbone, skitch and density that face lathering with it is wonderful. Value for money and performance 9/10.

Finally the 24MM Yaqi Mysterious Space Silvertip:
Again it has the same handle as the Ferrari but in a galaxy blue pattern which although interesting, doesn't really rock my boat.

The knot is where the brush really shines. The feel is pure luxury, like a cloud of soft warm fur. Face lathering with it is absolutely a joy although, with a diameter of 76mm it's too big for me. Value for money and performance 10/10

Overall I can't be more happy with the purchase from Yaqi as I got 3 great brushes for $38 during their recent sale and I'll be getting more brushes from them.

I'm still a little confused about the difference between a bulb and a fan knot as the Yaqi badgers splays really well. Perhaps it's so densily packed the hairs have nowhere else to go and splay like this.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Last edited:
Lovely brushes, my man! Yaqi never disappointed me and they always put out the best quality for their customers. I actually have couple two band badgers, including that purple one, on the way. I'm also trying out their razor, including the beast mellon head. Glad you enjoy it and I can't wait for my order as well!

Lovely brushes, my man! Yaqi never disappointed me and they always put out the best quality for their customers. I actually have couple two band badgers, including that purple one, on the way. I'm also trying out their razor, including the beast mellon head. Glad you enjoy it and I can't wait for my order as well!

Their customer service is excellent. When I had an issue with the delivery they promptly send a 2nd package no questions asked.

I'm hoping you enjoy their gear too as their prices/quality is just amazing!

I'm thinking this might suit me better.
SG$ 42.02 | 100% Pure Silvertip Badger Hair Hand-crafted Shaving Brush for Shave Barber Tool Brush Manufacturers
SG$ 42.02 | 100% Pure Silvertip Badger Hair Hand-crafted Shaving Brush for Shave Barber Tool Brush Manufacturers

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Last edited:
They got the badger knots right. If you make a dense bulb shaped 2-band knot good luck splaying that, except with your knee. Bulb aids backbone and goes well with soft silvertips. Fan and flat tops are best for face swirling (more surface area).

Those are top class looking badgers. Congrats and enjoy them thoroughly.

First off, thanks to Boar Fighter, Aquilus and Esox, naughtilus for all the great info and especially to Nav for the great help.

Finally and I mean Finally I got the Yaqi brushes from the post office.

No wonder the address was incomplete, some over paid, under worked post office staff pasted a sticker over the apartment no and signed it off :a13:.

Anyway, I heard it pronounced as Yankee but I should sound like Yah Chi.

The brushes came in the most nonscript boxes imaginable...
View attachment 983562

The brushes fresh from their boxes.
View attachment 983560

The brushes in comparison to a RR Bruce.
View attachment 983561

Now I've only tried a badger once or twice before and I better understand the term gel tips. Anyway, I did a gentle MBBM lather test with the badgers and the lather simply exploded.

What I wasn't expecting was the funk. It was like lathering with salted fish fins phew lol!

The damp bloom.
View attachment 983563 View attachment 983564

Pretty amazing feeling but I prefer small to medium brushes and these guys bloom HUGE!

I tried the synthetic Ferrari and it suits my needs better even though, I love the feel of the badgers more.

I'll likely get smaller badgers in my next purchase and I really prefer bulb over fans knots due to the density and spring.

Anyway onwards to the short reviews:

24mm Brown Synthetic Ferrari

The black and red handle looks boring but it's a super brush and the handle is heavy, rock solid resin. The 24 mm knot doesn't splay as much as my Bruce but that's a great thing for me.

It lathers so easily and has absolutely zero skitch unlike, the Bruce which has a tiny bit of skitch. I love how precise it is on applying lather and the feel of the handle. Value for money and performance 10/10.

Next the 24MM Yaqi Two Band Badger:
Again the color of the handle isn't what I'll like as purple was never my color... I'm not Prince. However, its a solid handle of the highest quality.

The knot is suppose to be a bulb but the splay resembles a fan. The 2 band badger hair feels like a pusher, softer, broken in boar with a slight skitch.

The brush is 80mm wide and covers almost my entire cheek. I'm not sure how to use it well as it like lathering with a giant foam ball. It's about as precise as a mop.

The great news is it lathers like a dream. You can make mountains of lather in no time and it has just the right amount of backbone, skitch and density that face lathering with it is wonderful. Value for money and performance 9/10.

Finally the 24MM Yaqi Mysterious Space Silvertip:
Again it has the same handle as the Ferrari but in a galaxy blue pattern which although interesting, doesn't really rock my boat.

The knot is where the brush really shines. The feel is pure luxury, like a cloud of soft warm fur. Face lathering with it is absolutely a joy although, with a diameter of 76mm it's too big for me. Value for money and performance 10/10

Overall I can't be more happy with the purchase from Yaqi as I got 3 great brushes for $38 during their recent sale and I'll be getting more brushes from them.

I'm still a little confused about the difference between a bulb and a fan knot as the Yaqi badgers splays really well. Perhaps it's so densily packed the hairs have nowhere else to go and splay like this.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

YAY they finally arrived! Congrats!!

Your description about the badger brushes is very accurate...but your negatives about them are my positives haha

I love the black/purple swirl handle along with the fan shaped two band (I have a second one of these in my travel kit).

The silvertip I have both in fan and bulb. I love both but the fan is slightly nicer as it has a bigger face coverage and I enjoy a soft silvertip enveloping my face :)

Yaqi really have done their badger brushes perfectly IMO. Great density, and very well balanced backbone & density.

Congrats again and enjoy!!

They got the badger knots right. If you make a dense bulb shaped 2-band knot good luck splaying that, except with your knee. Bulb aids backbone and goes well with soft silvertips. Fan and flat tops are best for face swirling (more surface area).

Those are top class looking badgers. Congrats and enjoy them thoroughly.

Thanks naughtilus,

Like Esox last year, these are my first badgers and I had no idea what to expect really so, I'll take your word about the bulb and a 2 band badger.

They are super brushes and I'm sure I'll find ways to throughly enjoy them, especially when I'm straight shaving.

I will get some smaller brushes for daily use and these seem the perfect size.

YAY they finally arrived! Congrats!!

Your description about the badger brushes is very accurate...but your negatives about them are my positives haha

I love the black/purple swirl handle along with the fan shaped two band (I have a second one of these in my travel kit).

The silvertip I have both in fan and bulb. I love both but the fan is slightly nicer as it has a bigger face coverage and I enjoy a soft silvertip enveloping my face :)

Yaqi really have done their badger brushes perfectly IMO. Great density, and very well balanced backbone & density.

Congrats again and enjoy!!

Thx buddy,

They are excellent brushes and thankfully I've started to nail down the size and type of brushes I prefer.

The badgers are huge lol. Omg it like lathering with orange sized foam balls.

One swipe across my face and I'll lather my nose mouth and chin.

I do love the feel of the Silvertip and the brown synthetic. As I said earlier these are incredible brushes and for the price I can't complain at all lol.

Cheers and happy shaves,

Mawashi

Congratulations Mawashi! They look wonderful! Don't worry, with time you will learn to handle them easily despite the fact that now you think the knots are big. Remember, they sell even bigger knots! :001_302: On the bright side, you won't run out of lather with them! :001_005: I envy you for the blue colour handles! It's the Yaqi colour i don't have...

Thanks naughtilus,

Like Esox last year, these are my first badgers and I had no idea what to expect really so, I'll take your word about the bulb and a 2 band badger.

They are super brushes and I'm sure I'll find ways to throughly enjoy them, especially when I'm straight shaving.

I will get some smaller brushes for daily use and these seem the perfect size.

Thx buddy,

They are excellent brushes and thankfully I've started to nail down the size and type of brushes I prefer.

The badgers are huge lol. Omg it like lathering with orange sized foam balls.

One swipe across my face and I'll lather my nose mouth and chin.

I do love the feel of the Silvertip and the brown synthetic. As I said earlier these are incredible brushes and for the price I can't complain at all lol.

Cheers and happy shaves,

Mawashi

Yah, the bloom is quite big on the Yaqi badger brushes. The good thing is that they have the density to support the bloom so they don't collapse. This is what I really like about their badger knot construction.

Congratulations Mawashi! They look wonderful! Don't worry, with time you will learn to handle them easily despite the fact that now you think the knots are big. Remember, they sell even bigger knots! :001_302: On the bright side, you won't run out of lather with them! :001_005: I envy you for the blue colour handles! It's the Yaqi colour i don't have...

Hey BF, thanks for that. The blue is ok I suppose but I prefer classical and subtle color schemes like Japanese patterns.
IMG_20190525_105116.jpg

Call me a traditionalist but these are patterns that I find great for handles.
Shippou.jpg seigaiha.jpg kikko.jpg

Anyhoo, I'm asking for the sky here from a bunch of brushes that are below $20 each lol.

Yah, the bloom is quite big on the Yaqi badger brushes. The good thing is that they have the density to support the bloom so they don't collapse. This is what I really like about their badger knot construction.

Absolutely agree Nav and thanks so much for your advice, these are awesome brushes and now at least I have a much clearer pic of what I'll prefer.

My next purchase would be:

Boar:
Omega 11126 (24/55mm should be the right size)
Omega 10051 (24/48 is a great travel size)

Syns:
SG$ 23.62 | Yaqi Purple Haze Mew Brown Synthetic Handle Men's Beard Shaving Brush (the handle looks better than the Ferrari lol)
SG$ 23.62 | Yaqi Purple Haze Mew Brown Synthetic Handle Men's Beard Shaving Brush
2047146374-1380187948.jpg
SG$ 15.41 | 24MM Yaqi Sagrada Familia Black/White Synthetic Fibre Men Shave Brushes (a stubby handle and a tux knot which I've yet to try)
SG$ 15.41 | 24MM Yaqi Sagrada Familia Black/White Synthetic Fibre Men Shave Brushes
9646108231903123775.jpg
SG$ 18.21 | 22MM Synthetic Hair Milky White Resin Handle Men's Shaving Brushes (its a replacement for my misappropriated Bruce lol)
SG$ 18.21 | 22MM Synthetic Hair Milky White Resin Handle Men's Shaving Brushes
1624471210-1717831332.jpg

Badgers:
SG$ 42.02 | 100% Pure Silvertip Badger Hair Hand-crafted Shaving Brush for Shave Barber Tool Brush Manufacturers (something smaller that the orange sized foam ball)
1056386398700397636.jpg
SG$ 56.27 | Yaqi 24mm Aqua Highmountain Silvertip Badger Hair Shaving Brush (I just wanna try the softest badger they have)
SG$ 56.27 | Yaqi 24mm Aqua Highmountain Silvertip Badger Hair Shaving Brush
-418269005970158584.jpg

Shortly after the side by side photo was taken, my Bruce has been hijacked by my GF for use as a blusher... Oh the ignominy!

Happy shave and thx again guys,

Mawashi

Last edited:
Hey BF, thanks for that. The blue is ok I suppose but I prefer classical and subtle color schemes like Japanese patterns.
View attachment 983801

Call me a traditionalist but these are patterns that I find great for handles.
View attachment 983809 View attachment 983808 View attachment 983807

Anyhoo, I'm asking for the sky here from a bunch of brushes that are below $20 each lol.

Absolutely agree Nav and thanks so much for your advice, these are awesome brushes and now at least I have a much clearer pic of what I'll prefer.

My next purchase would be:

Boar:
Omega 11126 (24/55mm should be the right size)
Omega 10051 (24/48 is a great travel size)

Syns:
SG$ 23.62 | Yaqi Purple Haze Mew Brown Synthetic Handle Men's Beard Shaving Brush (the handle looks better than the Ferrari lol)
SG$ 23.62 | Yaqi Purple Haze Mew Brown Synthetic Handle Men's Beard Shaving Brush
View attachment 983811
SG$ 15.41 | 24MM Yaqi Sagrada Familia Black/White Synthetic Fibre Men Shave Brushes (a stubby handle and a tux knot which I've yet to try)
SG$ 15.41 | 24MM Yaqi Sagrada Familia Black/White Synthetic Fibre Men Shave Brushes
View attachment 983812
SG$ 18.21 | 22MM Synthetic Hair Milky White Resin Handle Men's Shaving Brushes (its a replacement for my misappropriated Bruce lol)
SG$ 18.21 | 22MM Synthetic Hair Milky White Resin Handle Men's Shaving Brushes
View attachment 983813

Badgers:
SG$ 42.02 | 100% Pure Silvertip Badger Hair Hand-crafted Shaving Brush for Shave Barber Tool Brush Manufacturers (something smaller that the orange sized foam ball)
View attachment 983814
SG$ 56.27 | Yaqi 24mm Aqua Highmountain Silvertip Badger Hair Shaving Brush (I just wanna try the softest badger they have)
SG$ 56.27 | Yaqi 24mm Aqua Highmountain Silvertip Badger Hair Shaving Brush
View attachment 983815

Shortly after the side by side photo was taken, my Bruce has been hijacked by my GF for use as a blusher... Oh the ignominy!

Happy shave and thx again guys,

Mawashi

OMG those brushes on your list are exactly what I would have recommended! Those 24mm Yaqi synthetics are perfect for those who don't want a huge synthetic knot.
The purple haze and sagrada are wonderful brushes!

The 21mm silvertip is awesome and I'm sure you'll love it!

The high mountain is pure luxury but again, the bloom is large and it has less backbone than the mysterious space silvertip. It's an awesome brush but just letting you know upfront since the two you got are a bit big for your preference.

OMG those brushes on your list are exactly what I would have recommended! Those 24mm Yaqi synthetics are perfect for those who don't want a huge synthetic knot.
The purple haze and sagrada are wonderful brushes!

The 21mm silvertip is awesome and I'm sure you'll love it!

The high mountain is pure luxury but again, the bloom is large and it has less backbone than the mysterious space silvertip. It's an awesome brush but just letting you know upfront since the two you got are a bit big for your preference.

Nav buddy,

Yeah 1 purchase and I'm getting a real feel for these Yaqi brushes. The quality and performance is easily 3 to 5 times more what I had paid for them.

Their customer service is also top notch, when I told them about the delivery issues, Chen promptly send me another package which I just got today lol.

I changed the order slightly and got a short heavy metal handle Silvertip!

SG$ 42.02 | Heavy Metal Handle Silvertip Badger Hair Shave Brush for Men Shaving
SG$ 42.02 | Heavy Metal Handle Silvertip Badger Hair Shave Brush for Men Shaving

This has got to be the cutest brush I've ever seen lol.
IMG_20190525_150817.jpg

The damp bloom vs a dry Bruce on the left.
IMG_20190525_154742.jpg

Damp heavy metal short handle bloom vs the 2 band purple.
IMG_20190525_154703.jpg

The size comparison from left to right between a Bruce, Heavy Metal shortie and the 2 band purple.
IMG_20190525_154842.jpg

Despite the specs for the heavy metal short handle Silvertip (HMSHS) being 24/60 mm its a much more manageable 24/52mm and the splay is just 66mm wide!

I think this little puppy is going to be my very favourite Silvertip.

The high mountain Silvertip is very soft from what I've read but it's a one of a kind so it's worth a look lol.

Nav can you please do me a favour and snap a pic of a silvertip heavy metal long handle beside a brown Ferrari and the mysterious space Silvertip so I know how big it is, thank you.

Happy shaves guys!

Mawashi

Last edited:
What have you been getting lol.
Brown paper bags, white boxes and tiny black plastic bags lol?
Marathon Watches
Marathon Binoculars
Dayton Boots
Triton Chicago Brushed Stainless Steel Quad Brush Stand
24 Count Williams Mug Shaving Soap

Just a few items I've gotten in non-descriptive, plain boxes and packaging.

Marathon Watches
Marathon Binoculars
Dayton Boots
Triton Chicago Brushed Stainless Steel Quad Brush Stand
24 Count Williams Mug Shaving Soap

Just a few items I've gotten in non-descriptive, plain boxes and packaging.

A man after my own tastes too. Marathon stuff is great.

I was just about to pull the trigger for some WMS too. A dozen for $16.8 however, the reviews of modern WMS wasn't great and I decided to get 12 sticks of Arko instead.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Love seeing these brushes. I have three Yaqi’s now and I think I’ll keep grabbing more. The heavy metal is one of my ‘to buy’ brushes.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
A man after my own tastes too. Marathon stuff is great.

I was just about to pull the trigger for some WMS too. A dozen for $16.8 however, the reviews of modern WMS wasn't great and I decided to get 12 sticks of Arko instead.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi
I'm a sucker for cheap soaps. I love my Modern Williams. It's as good as you want if you put the work in. I just ordered 10 pucks of Arko Pucks in the bowl. I use the Arko and Derby in the bowl for home use, but the sticks for travel and before bed for a face wash. I don't know why, but lathering up with Arko or Derby before bed helps me sleep like a baby. I know, weird. I also find after lathering up before bed I get even better shaves in the morning.

Marathon Watches, the only Military Watches that are actually issued Military equipment. They have NSNs, lot numbers, and everything that goes with military equipment.

Love seeing these brushes. I have three Yaqi’s now and I think I’ll keep grabbing more. The heavy metal is one of my ‘to buy’ brushes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Super super brushes really.

I'm not familiar with the more expensive badgers, custom knots and handles but for the money Yaqi brushes are an amazing bang for the buck.

The only other badger I had tried before was a buddy's $250 custom Silvertip and I would rather get an omega 49 over it anyday.

I get a kick out of getting great value rather that outright extravaganza. For $250 I could get 13 Yaqi Silvertips lol.

When I think Yaqi I think steak at The Big Steer not Wolfgang's.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

I'm a sucker for cheap soaps. I love my Modern Williams. It's as good as you want if you put the work in. I just ordered 10 pucks of Arko Pucks in the bowl. I use the Arko and Derby in the bowl for home use, but the sticks for travel and before bed for a face wash. I don't know why, but lathering up with Arko or Derby before bed helps me sleep like a baby. I know, weird. I also find after lathering up before bed I get even better shaves in the morning.

Marathon Watches, the only Military Watches that are actually issued Military equipment. They have NSNs, lot numbers, and everything that goes with military equipment.
I had a Marathon watch issued to me years ago, worked great. Not sure if they are still being issued in the Canadian military. I cant believe how expensive they are!
marathon.jpg

I do dive occasionally and my preference are for diving watches. Serious dive watches not the Omegas or Rolexes but Prospex Marinemasters.

My shaving gear choices is similar. I'll choose what works and works well over more expensive brands.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Top Bottom