What's new

Yaqi The Beast vs. R41 (current production) first impressions

I use the R41 now for a bit over 6 months and love it for its direct nature and efficency especially on 2-3 days growth.

Today I tried out The Beast and while it has tons more of bladefeel it also super efficient and managable.
What suprised me most was that at a steep angle the R41 felt somewhat scrapy compared to the Yaqi - something that I didn't noticed before.

I used Proraso red and a fresh Gillette Perma-Sharp (golden packaging) on both shaves. Both are on WCS SS handles.

So while both of them are no daily drivers for me I will likely use one or the other once a week to resharpen focus and technique as you can't let your concentration slip on either one.

IMG_0167.jpg

Interesting...

Although I use very often iKon Tech and R41, I used the "beast" just once.
I would not consider the "beast" as razor. I would say that someone tried to create/invent/make some thing -but not razor-, and in the end, what came out, was something like razor. I do not compare it with the other razors as more aggressive or not. IMHO it is not a razor.

What were your experiences? Too much bladefeel? unpredictable?
I find it super direct and efficient at least with the blade that i tried it with...

Thinking of it, a less sharp blade might make it jump and this is really a scary thought.

I have the Yaqi doc slant, looks like the beast only slanted if I see the pic properly. I just tried an R41 today and like it much better as its blade gap and exposure seem smaller and while aggressive, it gives a close shave, especially ATG. I expected slicing, but it is super smooth, a real surprise. The Yaqi slant has a gap that feels dangerous if not very careful. I can see why others here like the R41 so much as it's a fantastic razor. I was stubborn and tried others but finally broke. I have 6C, old G adjustables, fine slant, merkur 34G, tried and sold others. R41 is awesome. I even tried one of those 3D printed razors - one and done. Very noisy and didn't feel good. The Yaqi slant feels nearly as aggressive as the Ikon Tech. That was another for me that was once only. If you've used it, you can understand why. I want to keep my skin.

What were your experiences? Too much bladefeel? unpredictable?
I find it super direct and efficient at least with the blade that i tried it with...

Thinking of it, a less sharp blade might make it jump and this is really a scary thought.

Shaving is a pleasure. At least, that's for me and all of us.

The feeling I had with the that razor was not pleasant at all. My father taught me to shave with safety razors without guard. That's how I had my shaves for many many years. I did not know about all this "shaving philosophy" that I now enjoy very much.

Believe it or not it is better for me to shave with any razor without guard, than using that yaqi. It' a matter of pleasure.
Just to mention, I do not have problem to use the other yaqi razors (I have 4 of them).

... and from all my razors, the best by far of all is Blackland Blackbird and then FOCS just to mention my preferences.

Top Bottom