What's new

Yaqi synthetic shaving brushes - what's the difference among them?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Looking at potentially buying a synthetic Yaqi shave brush. But I have not been able to find good data regarding the differences among them.

Tuxedo, Boss, Pony, Mink, Alpine, Cashmere, Plisson. What changes from one type to the other?

Personally I am interested in a brush that has enough backbone to lather soaps, yet does not have much scritch. Can anyone recommend me a good genre of Yaqi brush?

It's my understanding that the two Plisoft knots are the same.

The Timberwolf brush is a fine choice. I have no experience with the Boss.

It's my understanding that the two Plisoft knots are the same.

The Timberwolf brush is a fine choice. I have no experience with the Boss.

The yaqi plissoft is much more dense with fibres, but feels great! One of my favorite knots from Yaqi.

The yaqi plissoft is much more dense with fibres, but feels great! One of my favorite knots from Yaqi.
Nav, I'm not familiar with the yaqi plissoft knot. Could you mention some models? For example, is this considered a plissoft knot?

Reactions: nav
Nav, I'm not familiar with the yaqi plissoft knot. Could you mention some models? For example, is this considered a plissoft knot?

This is not the plissoft knot. This is their G4.

This is the Yaqi plissoft:

IMG_20220406_170338.jpg

Thanks! Knowing that you love the muhle stf so much, do you still use other synthetic knots? I don't have a Muhle and wonder what you reckon some of the best non-muhle synthetic knots

p.s. I love my Frank Shaving G4s

I have used just about every synth on the market ex-G5 series.

I enjoy most synth brushes as they all perform well.

But overall, NOTHING comes close to the Muhle STF for me. If you have the budget, I wouldn't recommend any other brush!

FS G4 is excellent, their "pur-tech" is actually the STF fibre but expect large glue bumps with FS!

Non-Muhle picks would be turn-n-shave full moon, quarter moon and Angel hair (or the apshave cashmere). I really enjoyed all three!

Of course the FS G4.
Also Yaqi pony, Yaqi plissoft.

Bear in mind though that a big glue bump will ruin the experience of any synth.
I found turn-n-shave knots very consistent for what it's worth.

Omega evo and Simpson chubby 2 are very nice, luxurious premium synths.

But even these don't quite match the STF in my experience.

I have used just about every synth on the market ex-G5 series.

I enjoy most synth brushes as they all perform well.

But overall, NOTHING comes close to the Muhle STF for me. If you have the budget, I wouldn't recommend any other brush!

FS G4 is excellent, their "pur-tech" is actually the STF fibre but expect large glue bumps with FS!

Non-Muhle picks would be turn-n-shave full moon, quarter moon and Angel hair (or the apshave cashmere). I really enjoyed all three!

Of course the FS G4.
Also Yaqi pony, Yaqi plissoft.

Bear in mind though that a big glue bump will ruin the experience of any synth.
I found turn-n-shave knots very consistent for what it's worth.

Omega evo and Simpson chubby 2 are very nice, luxurious premium synths.

But even these don't quite match the STF in my experience.
Thank you for this wealth of information! Sadly, I've spent a lot over the past year on wet shaving gear. Hopefully, I'll wait until black friday '22 to buy that Muhle stf 25mm ;)

Thank you for this wealth of information! Sadly, I've spent a lot over the past year on wet shaving gear. Hopefully, I'll wait until black friday '22 to buy that Muhle stf 25mm ;)

Yup, that's a good plan!
Splurge on one at black Friday.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Looking at potentially buying a synthetic Yaqi shave brush. But I have not been able to find good data regarding the differences among them.

Tuxedo, Boss, Pony, Mink, Alpine, Cashmere, Plisson. What changes from one type to the other?

Personally I am interested in a brush that has enough backbone to lather soaps, yet does not have much scritch. Can anyone recommend me a good genre of Yaqi brush?
I have been buying a lot of brushes over the years and especially lately on the live shows.
The best synthetic brushes for soft tips & more back bone would be the lucky dice Tuxedo knot in the dense 26mm knot or the 26 mm Rainbow brown whiskers knot is good for scrubbing also.
26mm lucky dice Tuxedo knot....................26mm brown whiskers rainbow knot( good luxury feel to the face)
Yaqi #1 Roll of the lucky dice 26mm Tuxedo knot (3).jpg
Yaqi #1 Rainbow brown whiskers 26mm brush (3).jpg

The Yaqi 2 band badgers are better scrubbers than the synthetics with soft tips IMO.
24mm 2band badger mountain lake....24mm 2band badger barber pole.
Yaqi #1 24mm 2band badger Mountain lake.jpg
Yaqi #1 Barber pole 24mm 2 band badger(2).jpg

This Yaqi"Ever-helpful" 2 band badger is the best for scrubbing and has soft tips but is high density 22 mm knot with short loft and is the best scrubber out of my 8 badger brushes.
Yaqi #1 ever-helpfull 22mm 2 band badger.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have their 28mm ocean on the way, looks like a big boss knot.

View attachment 1435546
I was looking at that handle and brush and if I did not have so many brushes now, it is very tempting. Where the knot goes into the handle it changes colors as it is slowly turned the sales lady was showing during a sale. 26 mmm is large for myself and they will come out with a 24 mm down the road no doubt knowing Yaqi.

Top Bottom