What's new

YAQI Quality?

Just be cognizant of what you are getting from a Yaqi razor and you will be fine. The Mellon head for example is a nice piece of shaving equipment that isn't going to win any awards for artistry or workmanship, but for many users, it provides an outstandingly smooth, and comfortable shave. It's a workhorse and not a show horse, but it is a fairly unique one since it is based on an interesting historical razor head with the self-lubricating properties. They also have a few other fairly unique razor heads that you won't find many other sources for ( Knight's Head, their aggressive slant, etc ). So if you stick to their unique heads and know what you are getting quality wise they can be useful purchases, or maybe you just want an inexpensive beater razor for some reason.

That said if you are just looking for a DE89 clone there are numerous other vendors doing that who provide a higher quality razor.

Or buy a brand new genuine Gillette Tech, now marketed as the Gillette Super Blue and made in China. Available on the bay for just a few pounds or dollars. It comes with a plastic handle that works fine, but can be replaced if you prefer.
How close are they to the originals?

How close are they to the originals?
They shave the same as every other Tech in my opinion (and I have a few vintage ones). The baseplate is aluminium, so the head is relatively light, which I personally don't mind. The cap is Zamak and the handle is plastic, which is how they can make them so incredibly cheaply. They are still genuine Gillette razors, though. I use one of mine regularly, but usually with a titanium handle. It saves wear and tear on my vintage Techs and gives exactly the same result, imho.

20220428_193141.jpg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
They shave the same as every other Tech in my opinion (and I have a few vintage ones). The baseplate is aluminium, so the head is relatively light, which I personally don't mind. The cap is Zamak and the handle is plastic, which is how they can make them so incredibly cheaply. They are still genuine Gillette razors, though. I use one of mine regularly, but usually with a titanium handle. It saves wear and tear on my vintage Techs and gives exactly the same result, imho.

View attachment 1447184

You know what I love about this razor? Is the Gillette name stamped into the top cap. But that blade overhang on the sides is kind of a deal breaker. BTW, interesting texture pattern on the handle, I am sure they do that using a CNC drill bit, lovely knurling on the handle too.

You know what I love about this razor? Is the Gillette name stamped into the top cap. But that blade overhang on the sides is kind of a deal breaker. BTW, interesting texture pattern on the handle, I am sure they do that using a CNC drill bit, lovely knurling on the handle too.
The blade overhang at the sides is the same as every other Tech, going back to the 30's. The only thing that is obviously inferior for me is the plating of the top cap. I will say that the finish of the ones currently made in India is far worse.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
The blade overhang at the sides is the same as every other Tech, going back to the 30's. The only thing that is obviously inferior for me is the plating of the top cap. I will say that the finish of the ones currently made in India is far worse.

Man, those folks back in the 20's 30's were pioneers in the DE wet shaving world. They made so many ground breaking improvements over the next 50-years, that would bring fourth what we truly enjoy today. I wonder how many men were nicking themselves, and causing so many weepers testing out their new gear. LOL.

You know that Amazon original that is heavily popular called The Marvelous Mrs Mazel? Well, in that show, we get to see a couple guys wet shaving with a DE, and I did see him cut himself, and he did the toilet paper on face routine while walking around lol. Now we have styptic pencils, and alum blocks. Could you imagine if they had one of those back then? I am sure they would love it.

Otherwise you will get this from your co-worker. "You cut yourself shaving again?" LOL!

Top Bottom