What's new

YAQI Quality?

Okay. I'm two months into wet shaving and really loving it. I am using a $35 Wahl which is working well, but I know in a month or so I'm going to crack and upgrade to something a bit more aggressive. I'm curious about the YAQI razors. How's their quality? How do they shave? Any input regarding experiences with these razors I'd appreciate. Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty new to wet shaving as well - got a YAQI final cut adjustable, and it's really good - BUT - it's not precision workmanship. Mine requires some care with blade alignment, but shaves really nicely with Astra SP. There are lots of reviews out there for others, but for the price, I'm happy so far. Sometimes I wonder if I should have spent a little more and gotten the Parker Variant instead. I do have a Yaqi stainless tile on the way which I got for a cheaper price on their livestream through the Aliexpress app. They seem to stream weekly, and you can get their brushes for very good prices. They just finished one about an hour ago ( I have to stop spending money with them...)

DSCosmetics CNC razors have a reputation for more precise machining, which may be another option - though the Gamechangers are already pretty competitively priced if you are USA based .

**** I'm curious about the YAQI razors. How's their quality? How do they shave? ****

IMHO Yaqi quality is just ok.... but they are worth the price you pay. I only buy Yaqi on sale, they are certainly worth the 30 to 50% off sale price. Yaqi has many razors, some shave great others not so well. I have a Yaqi Mellon and a Katana, they give a good shave and are certainly worth the $14 - $16 each that I paid for them on sale.

But remember, lowest price does not always mean it's the best value. IMHO for the best overall value, Razorock products are hard to beat.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Personal experience, I purchased a Yaqi... their ac razor, and there were alignment and quality issues on the head with the finishing. Customer service was good, and they sent me the "newer" version when it came up, but that also had lower tolerances than I was used to/willing to deal with. Having said that I do know ppl who enjoy and use their razors, and even more so their brushes.

IMHO Yaqi quality is just ok.... but they are worth the price you pay. I only buy Yaqi on sale, they are certainly worth the 30 to 50% off sale price. Yaqi has many razors, some shave great others not so well. I have a Yaqi Mellon and a Katana, they give a good shave and are certainly worth the $14 - $16 each that I paid for them on sale.

But remember, lowest price does not always mean it's the best value. IMHO for the best overall value, Razorock products are hard to beat.

Thanks for that. I'd rather pay more and get something that's great quality. I've looked at the Razorocks and they look damn good. I guess at the end of the day you get what you pay for. Appreciate the info.

I'm pretty new to wet shaving as well - got a YAQI final cut adjustable, and it's really good - BUT - it's not precision workmanship. Mine requires some care with blade alignment, but shaves really nicely with Astra SP. There are lots of reviews out there for others, but for the price, I'm happy so far. Sometimes I wonder if I should have spent a little more and gotten the Parker Variant instead. I do have a Yaqi stainless tile on the way which I got for a cheaper price on their livestream through the Aliexpress app. They seem to stream weekly, and you can get their brushes for very good prices. They just finished one about an hour ago ( I have to stop spending money with them...)

DSCosmetics CNC razors have a reputation for more precise machining, which may be another option - though the Gamechangers are already pretty competitively priced if you are USA based

The brushes are good for the most part, razors are a mixed bag. Mostly, they are clones of well-known designs. The quality of the Mellon razor head (aka Dual Open Comb) I got from them is pretty good. Quality of some of the other razors is "you get what you pay for". IMO, buying a really cheap razor is not the best way to save money. You can get something decent for $25 - $60 and that is a one-time cost unless you have the dreaded Razor Acquisition Disorder.

The Yaqi Mellon is a good razor head and I highly recommend it. I've got their scalloped razor as well and it will give a good shave. It's slightly more aggressive than the 89s it copies, but the quality isn't as good. Unless you find the Yaqi highly discounted something like the King C Gillette razor can often be found for cheaper or the same price at a much better quality. I paid less than $8 for my scalloped Yaqi during a 50% off sale and the KCG was $10 on Amazon recently.

The Yaqi timberwolf brush is excellent.

Depends on where you're at. Here in Aus, they're a complete bargain. Their brushes are frankly unbeatable at any price (particularly in the synth space) and their delivery and customer service for me has been exemplary. I have the AC raster V3 and its not the best quality. It takes a bit of finangling to get the blade set in right but it also cost me $25 shipped....in Australia. Typically free shipping involves spending $100 or buying from a large scale brand. Naturally, the razors aren't amazing quality and you can certainly do better by spending more but pound for pound I doubt it. Brushes on the other hand are fantastic as I said before.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
@Olddognewtricks

I am also two months into wet shaving as well! And from what I can gather, Yaqi are known for making nice brushes for an affordable price. But they are not however known for, making quality razors, which is a shame. And I am so sorry that your first experience with wet shaving, involves a Wahl safety razor. Wahl are known for making excellent clippers and detailers, so it makes newbies think, well, their clippers are good, their safety razors probably are too.

You'd honestly have a better experience with a Merkur 34C, then you would with that Wahl of yours. I own a Feather AS-D2, which is a high quality non adjustable safety razor, which is super mild. I also own an Rex Ambassador, which is a high end adjustable razor, which I absolutely love, because I can adjust the blade aggression.

Having said that however, let it be said that sometimes cheaper adjustables are nice too. Which is why I literally just an hour ago, ordered a Merkur Futur adjustable razor, which will also be my very first Merkur razor of any kind. I really like the design and features of the razor, thats why I ordered it, and I also overall futuristic look of the razor.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, maybe consider Merkur 34C, or if your willing to try out an adjustable, why not give the Merkur Futur a spin. Tip, don't buy it on Amazon, they are overcharging for it there. If you buy your razors at New England Shaving, they offer you a discount for signing up, which you can use to drop the price on the razor further.

Last year Alliexpress had the Yaqi DLC head for $1 and change with free shipping so I bought it. Didn't arrive for like 4 months, got a refund and thought I was done. It arrived like 2 months later, used it with a no name handle for a while and thought it was a good razor. Then I purchased a "Lemonwald" hand for a couple bucks from Alliexpress it arrived 3 weeks later, put the Yaqi head on it and it may be the best razor I own, or at least the top 5. I have about 100 vintage and new razors and this $3ish razor is one of my favorites.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Yaqi brushes are good quality mostly what I have experienced and would not hesitate to buy a 24-26mm synthetic or badger 24mm Silvertips or 24mm 2 band badger brush from them. They also offer boar brushes and I have a 4 of them also and are reasonable good quality boar brushes.
I'm not sure you can beat their prices when they have sales for brushes & razors any where.
I have some Yaqi razors & what I suggest is buy a razor that has been in circulation for a while because they have refined the razor, QC on new models of Yaqi razors are a hit and miss when they are introduced but the later revisions are usually reasonable buys and surprisingly good IMO. I think the Yaqi "The Final Cut" adjustable is a good value for someone starting out or a seasoned shaver wanting a adjustable.
Razorock(Italian barber) also makes great stainless steel razors with good finishes with excellent QC for a decent price IMO & I have the GC.84 + Wunderbar slant & Lupo.72 stainless steel and very happy with them!
Good luck shopping!

Last edited:
Top Bottom