What's new

Yaqi open comb razor

hello

I ordered the yaqi open comb razor since it was affordable to me with shipping and i wanted to know people’s experience with it and is it aggressive or mild?

F74CCD1F-CA83-4927-A069-55CE41BCB662.jpeg

Its this one

The Yaqi open comb, AKA "Mellon" is the same razor as the RazoRock SLOC. You can read a lot of reviews and first impressions here on the forum. Congrats it's a beautiful razor!

(Joseph M Mellon was the inventor of the Grand Shave King safety razor, the same razor that inspired the PAA Doc and the Yaqi)

Original vintage Grand Shave King
proxy.php

Last edited:
The Yaqi open comb, AKA "Mellon" is the same razor as the RazoRock SLOC. You can read a lot of reviews and first impressions here on the forum. Congrats it's a beautiful razor!

(Joseph M Mellon was the inventor of the Grand Shave King safety razor, the same razor that inspired the PAA Doc and the Yaqi)

Original vintage Grand Shave King
proxy.php
Thank you:001_302:

Ive got one and its an interesting razor. Id say its both mild and aggressive. Its mild in that it doesnt have a lot of blade gap but its also aggressive in that its pretty efficient and has a fair amount of blade feel.

Ive got one and its an interesting razor. Id say its both mild and aggressive. Its mild in that it doesnt have a lot of blade gap but its also aggressive in that its pretty efficient and has a fair amount of blade feel.
To be honest im scared its gonna Cut my face like crazy :a1:

To be honest im scared its gonna Cut my face like crazy :a1:
Nah, it's all mental. It just looks scary because it's an open comb. If you think that's scary, try a PAA Bakelite Slant. Those things have a ton of blade exposure, are open comb and are a slant. The Yaqi isn't bad.

I normally prefer more aggressive razors, but the yaqi mellon/ razorock SLOC (same head design) is still great for me. It's the best razor I've found for a combinaton of smoothness and closeness.

It's a mid aggressive but smooth razor, I use it with Maggard MR5 handle and wilkinson sword(India) blade. It is an absolutely fantastic razor for the price.

Great looking razor! Let us know how it works out (PLEASE)!
Hello :001_302:

Just recieved the razor this morning and decided to shave with it (also got the silvertip badger brush with the black marble handle)

Even tho the razor is my first de razor i can tell it is mildly aggressive but not scary to use and very efficient, and the brush was just wonderful to use it was so soft and at the same time made an amazing lather. I had a synthetic from body shop and it was horrible, irritated my skin like hell from how rough it is.

I hope this helped

After reading articles on B&B I obtained the PAA DOC, I found it is a mild shaver however it has a nasty habit of snagging me, as the Baseplate comb has sharp teeth. So I obtained the the RR SLOC then the YAQI Mellon these both have shorter teeth on the Baseplate comb, which allows for a tiny amount more blade aggression.
Then I decided to see it it were possible obtain the real Grand Shave King on eBay.
I obtained a Grand Shave King on eBay. This razor is extremely smooth. The only fault I can find with the GSK is it is very mild, and will never achieve a BBS shave. However this being said the GSK will never nick cut or scrape your face, if you can tolerate a minor amount of short stubble anywhere on your face then you will be happy with the GSK and theextremly smooth shave it will provide with virtually any blade you can throw at it.
I will be experimenting with different blades to see it it can affect the feel and the quality of the shave.
Both the PAA DOC and the YAQI Mellon are better with sharp and stiffer blades.
I am still on the lookout for a GSK with the original monogram on the head.
Thanks for listening

Top Bottom