What's new

Yaqi Non Mellon head

My order of brushes and makeup brushes, etc finally arrived from Yaqi. As a pleasant little surprise they included one of their heads, non mellon variety. I figured it was worth a go so I attached it to a handle and dropped a new IP Red in it. So, some backstory first.

I like efficient razors. The R41, ATT H1, Ascension opened up, Karve F, MMOC, etc are my daily drivers. I had no expectations on this razor other than it was free.

WHAT A PLEASANT SURPRISE THIS RAZOR IS! Seriously it was efficent but not aggressive feeling. I am probably the wrong person to say that so YMMV, but it was smooth AND efficient. It took down 2+ days with ease. I could have stopped at 2 passes but i went for three. I followed up and no AS sting at all. I looked at the price. $4.00. Are you kidding me? This is a steal. I can't believe how great this razor is. Needless to say I ordered a handle for it (or to replace the Purple Tip from my R41, we'll see).

The best part, I didn't feel any stubble until 18 hours later or so and then just a little. I could have skipped shaving today and still had a DFS.

I'd like to head someone's opinion on it that prefers more mainstream razors. It's going to be a permanent addition to my den for sure.

I followed up with the Ascension this morning with the same blade, I want to see if it lasts as long. I know my R41 will, but now I am curious :)

Chen offered me a head with my next order for telling her I posted nice things about her brushes on forums. I already have a Yaqi DE razor, the matte black, and while it's nice it doesn't get used since it's well down my rotation. I like the feel of the handle. The Yintal Brass at the same kind of price is a better razor for me, and the solid brass handle gets used on my SE1.

Yaqi has some nice looking razors. I haven't tried any of them yet, but they're on my "to try" list.

I'd definitely give it a go. It's got more efficiency than the head design would have you think.

Agreed.

Since it looks like the DE89/R89 head shape, I feel people assume the Yaqi is just as mild but it's actually significantly more efficient.

I used this again, and it's not a fluke. It's definitely more efficient than the shape would indicate

I received another Yaqi order a few days ago which includes a few razors and brushes.

I was already impressed with the scalloped razor and so I ordered a couple more as I get absolutely wonderful shaves from this head.

The DOC is on the mild side for my stubble but the scalloped head is just about perfect for me. I now have it in gunmetal, gold, matte black and chrome.

I'm thinking of making one a dedicated travel razor...likely the chrome one as I like the other 3 versions more.

I don't know if it was intentional but when China cloned the EJ/Muhle head they made it a little thicker and the top cap a little narrower.

From left to right: Edwin Jagger, Yintal, Muhle (Photo courtesy of "ilrasoio.com")
proxy.php

They all look the same but if you look closer at the photo the Yintal head (same as the Yaqi "scalloped") you can see both the baseplate and the safety bar are thicker than the original:
Base plate: 6mm VS. 5,5mm
Safety Bar: 2,7mm VS 2,4mm

Top Cap (not pictured) is also 0,7mm narrower on the clone (18,5mm VS 19,2mm).

This leads to a slight change of the geometry of the Chinese head making it more efficient.

Last edited:
I don't know if it was intentional but when China cloned the EJ/Muhle head they made it a little thicker and the top cap a little narrower.

From left to right: Edwin Jagger, Yintal, Muhle (Photo courtesy of "ilrasoio.com")
proxy.php

They all look the same but if you look closer at the photo the Yintal head (same as the Yaqi "scalloped") you can see both the baseplate and the safety bar are thicker than the original:
Base plate: 6mm VS. 5,5mm
Safety Bar: 2,7mm VS 2,4mm

Top Cap (not pictured) is also 0,7mm narrower on the clone (18,5mm VS 19,2mm).

This leads to a slight change of the geometry of the Chinese head making it more efficient.

Nice comparison.
I totally agree. The EJ head was never efficient enough for me but I'm getting fantastic shaves with the Yaqi scalloped head. They've done an excellent job on the design of that head, I'm super impressed!

Top Bottom