What's new

Yaqi Moka Express Two Band - First Impressions

After much delay due to the USPS, my Yaqi Moka Express Two Band Badger finally arrived yesterday. I had previously owned the Moka Mew Brown synthetic brush, so I knew that I would like the geometrically cut amber handle. The badger version, however, is a 26 brush vs. the 24 mm synthetic, and to my eyes the smaller handle is more aesthetically pleasing. That said, the larger handle fits my hand better and is more pleasant to use. But larger in every way is what first struck me. Except for some large synthetics I have never used a brush this large. Here is what it looks like next to a Duke 2 and a West Coast Shaving 24 mm silvertip.

Yaqi 26.jpg

After receiving it yesterday I shampooed it to both relieve some of the stiffness I felt in the knot and to try to neutralize the natural badger smell. In the process it lost 3 or 4 hairs which caused some brief concern, but in its first use on today's morning shave it did not lose any more. When I picked it up this morning I thought that I had successfully removed the smell, but as I began using it, I discovered that it was still clear that this was a brush made of animal hair. It wasn't overpowering or particularly unpleasant, but even with a heavily fragranced soap like Wet Shaving Products' Olympus, the natural badger smell still poked through.

The first thought I had after loading it and whipping up plenty of lather in my bowl was that it was extremely soft. I first thought that it might be too soft and lack backbone, but that turned out to be a false fear. Behind the softness there is plenty of backbone. Flow through was good, but not as good as my Maggard 20 mm two band, but that may well be due to the difference in density between the two. The Moka holds lather to about the same degree as the Duke in best badger or the WCS Silvertip, but it's softer on the face than the Duke and provides more backbone than the WCS silvertip.

This brush will definitely be used regularly, alongside the others in the photo, the aforementioned little Maggard 2 band, an SOC Mistura, a Zenith boar and a Yaqi Rainbow Brown synthetic. All are fine brushes with their own unique characteristics and I love the variety.

Great review. The 26mm Moka Express is one of my favorite badgers because it is balanced in its softness/backbone/scrub. It's got a perfect amount in all three IMO.

I was also surprised at the size of it. I had the synthetic Moka express at first and the badger one seemed like double the size. Luckily, my hand can grip it well without much trouble and it does take in more soap. Still, it gives for a great face feel and excellent perfomer. It's a no brainer purchase when given the right price.

Great you liked it, and great review..

Also if you check, the Moka 26 has an octogonal handle which is more on par as the Bialetti Moka pot. This design is the one that resembled more the original one. The 24 mew is hexagonal I believe. I have a 24 mm silvertip chubby that was a prototype it has the hexagonal design too... i Like the 26mm more...

Cheers

IMG_20200216_235528_317.jpg

Enviado desde mi Moto E (4) mediante Tapatalk

I absolutely love my moka two band!
The 26mm knot is bigger than what I prefer with badger brushes but it's great and the only large knot badger I have kept in the den.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the review. They are a nice looking brush and I have thought about purchasing one.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
+ Have the Moka synthetic and agree, handle ergonomics are great.

+ Have the MARPAT two-band and agree, Yaqi makes a great badger.

= Agree that has to be a fine brush! Enjoy!

AA

Great review. Yaqi makes fantastic badgers at any price point. I prefer the two-band over their silvertip, but both are more than worth it.

I have a synthetic version of the Moka, so no lost hairs and no stink. Of all my brushes, it may be the best to strike that perfect balance between softness and backbone. And I love its nostalgic look.

I have one it’s an absolutely brilliant brush. Great balance of springiness and backbone with real softness. I got the 26mm 2band which is maybe a tiny bit on the large side for my face so I bought a Yaqi Silvertip with mysterious Space blue handle in 24mm and gave the Moca to my dad. Yaqi really do make outstanding brushes for the money.

The Yaqi Moka Express two-band is the only natural hair brush in my rotation right now. As mentioned by others, it combines firm backbone with luxuriously soft tops. Overall, it's a great performer.

Also, since it's only $25 US (due to the AliExpress 10th Anniversary sale), I believe that it's one of the best bargains in the shaving world right now

The 2band in part of my main 3 brushes rotation. I like it so much even though it shed hair every time I used it. Well recently it looses a hair in 2 or 3 shaves making the experience much more enjoyable.

I WISH Yaqi would release more badger brushes in 26mm.

Took my new Yaqi Moka 26 Silvertip for a test run this morning. I am very impressed - it is a great looking brush and has the beefiest handle of all my brushes, extra large knot with a perfect amount of backbone and nice soft tips. This brush is going to have a prominent place in my brush rotation. Probably should have de-funked it before the maiden voyage - it came with a lot of stink, but I know that will diminish over time, so no complaints there. I actually shampooed the brush after I used it today and that seemed to help a lot. For the money, it definitely punches above its wight! If you are thinking about pulling the trigger on this one, you will not be sorry.
A8159854-CDD3-438B-98B8-E26C3A3225ED_1_201_a.jpeg

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Really good review.

I don’t need another brush... I don’t need another brush...I don’t need another brush...I don’t need another brush...I don’t need another brush...I don’t need another brush...I don’t need another brush...I don’t need another brush... I don’t need another brush...I don’t need another brush...I don’t need another brush...I don’t need another brush...I don’t need another brush...I don’t need another brush...

repeat again.

This is the real deal. I had used a Shavemac last year, to see if I will buy one, but when I saw this beast in this price, I was like....***???

Now after a year or so, has never lost a single hair, has become really really soft and backbone is there. Splay is fantastic, very natural. It stopped stealing lather too. To me, there is no need to get an expensive badger just for a great quality handle.

I ordered also a backup just in case (Shaveapocalypse), when it was 13 euro on 11.11. Can you believe it?

Top Bottom