What's new

Yaqi Mercury Head

Tried the Mercury head today on a Maggard stainless steel handle -- I think it is an MR11. Very nice DFS shave in 2 1/2 passes. It is a mild razor despite the big gap. Blade exposure seems about neutral to a hair over. Same results as I got yesterday with a Vintage Post-War Tech, but with slightly less effort. (I used the same Gillette Light Blue Plat (Swede)). Like the Tech, there is a very narrow range of angles to use (for me).

Blade tabs are covered, and the alignment was perfect -- I loaded it with everything upside down on the counter-top.

For $3 shipped, I'm quite impressed.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Tried the Mercury head today on a Maggard stainless steel handle -- I think it is an MR11. Very nice DFS shave in 2 1/2 passes. It is a mild razor despite the big gap. Blade exposure seems about neutral to a hair over. Same results as I got yesterday with a Vintage Post-War Tech, but with slightly less effort. (I used the same Gillette Light Blue Plat (Swede)). Like the Tech, there is a very narrow range of angles to use (for me).

Blade tabs are covered, and the alignment was perfect -- I loaded it with everything upside down on the counter-top.

For $3 shipped, I'm quite impressed.
Sounds similar to my experiences with the Yaqi chrome Mercury razor also, I also have the Yaqi tile razor head and was thinking I should have a shave with them for a daily double dual one of these days this week. The Mercury razor like you mentioned has small window angle and will just stop cutting beard if you wander out of the sweet spot. I find the finish in chrome on the Mercury head very good also, I have so many yaqi razor heads (Zamak) mostly that daily double shaves appeal to me. I think for what we paid it is a bargain regardless and shipped free is excellent deal. I will post when I have this daily double if I remember. @NoahYoung860 if you want a little more blade feel in that razor you can also use a extra wide Kai SS blade because it is wider than a standard Gillette Astra blade by 9/1000 of a inch or 4.5/1000 inches per side. It gives a nice boost in efficentcy and aggression but nothing over top to worry about. I use this blade in my milder razors and razors that I want a little more blade feel.
YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide-2.jpg
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Sounds similar to my experiences with the Yaqi chrome Mercury razor also, I also have the Yaqi tile razor head and was thinking I should have a shave with them for a daily double dual one of these days this week. The Mercury razor like you mentioned has small window angle and will just stop cutting beard if you wander out of the sweet spot. I find the finish in chrome on the Mercury head very good also, I have so many yaqi razor heads (Zamak) mostly that daily double shaves appeal to me. I think for what we paid it is a bargain regardless and shipped free is excellent deal. I will post when I have this daily double if I remember. @NoahYoung860 if you want a little more blade feel in that razor you can also use a extra wide Kai SS blade because it is wider than a standard Gillette Astra blade by 9/1000 of a inch or 4.5/1000 inches per side. It gives a nice boost in efficentcy and aggression but nothing over top to worry about. I use this blade in my milder razors and razors that I want a little more blade feel.
View attachment 1463946
Have some great shaves!
Actually, I like mild feeling razors. I really liked this Mercury head -- that's saying a lot for just the first shave. No irritation whatsoever, even though I had to go over some areas again -- which I seem to have to do with any razor. As long as I get a close shave with no redness, I'm happy. The key for me was the 3rd pass was really just a 1/2 pass, which to me is really touch-ups or 2 on certain areas. With the Tech yesterday, is was 3 full passes with touchups to get the same result. And like I said, I just moved the blade from the Tech to the Mercury.

Looks like the Fine Marvel.
Yes, though I never used that razor.
Looks a lot like this, too:

Yaqi seems to have a live session at least once a week on Ali. They change the list of what they have deals on each session, but I highly recommend it if you can get it for $3 shipped.

Reactions: Kix

Ron R

Yaqi Mild razors daily double, Thursday, June 2nd 2022

Razor : Yaqi V2 Tile Stainless steel head(right side), Mfg 2021> mild range, Very efficient, well machined, easy to work the face and has a small angle widow because of it's design. Excellent shave this morning using this one.
Razor: Yaqi chrome Mercury Zamak head(left side), Mfg 2022> mild range, well designed, easy to work the face, also has a small angle window because of design of top cap design, Great audio feed back, close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Gillette 7oclock SP(1) sharp & smoooth, used on V2 SS Tile head.
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP (4) sharp & smooth, used on the Mercury head.
Soap : Ach Brito Lavanda, nice unique scent of lavender + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi 24mm
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :9.5 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my V2 Yaqi Tile razor with a Gillette 7oClock SP.
Results : 9 or CCS,DFS, BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Mercury razor with a Gillette 7oClock SP.
My shave off with these 2 fine mild razors indicate that the Tile head is slightly more efficient and I enjoyed both razors this morning, the Tile razor also had a fresh blade(1) compared to the Mercury head blade(4) that could of made a difference also. Excellent shave regardless of blades. It all gets shaved off tomorrow again! My nice change up for a different shave for my morning shave.
SOTD June 2 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Not sure I like this head, but I do like mild razors. It has close to zero blade feel, but perhaps the gap is too large for my preferences. Maybe I need to adjust to it a little, but most of my other standard razors feel more comfortable having more blade feel(exposure) and less gap.

I love how it looks next to my progress, the most obvious difference is the top cap but it fits well with the Ikon B1

Attachments

• AA0CEAF2-469D-4FF1-9FA5-E11984A53763.jpeg
    AA0CEAF2-469D-4FF1-9FA5-E11984A53763.jpeg
    585 KB · Views: 90
  • 23F6689C-5149-43EA-9B33-DC9B80D6474D.jpeg
    23F6689C-5149-43EA-9B33-DC9B80D6474D.jpeg
    537.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 9990E880-9DB7-4F7B-BED1-3C4A33E9915D.jpeg
    9990E880-9DB7-4F7B-BED1-3C4A33E9915D.jpeg
    526.2 KB · Views: 76
  • C06C5AC1-8362-4601-836F-7B6D73555216.jpeg
    C06C5AC1-8362-4601-836F-7B6D73555216.jpeg
    680.5 KB · Views: 91

Ron R

A couple of fine looking razors there, looks like you made some bottom twist nobs on bottom of both handles to changer things up a little. Very nice & thanks for sharing.

I received yesterday and used today for the first time the Yaqi Mercury head. I think it's difficult to make a final veredict, but I enyoyed it. I know that are two complete different animals, but I prefer a simple super speed flare tip. But I will give it some more chances
20220920_093718.jpg
20220920_093854.jpg
20220920_093904.jpg
20220920_093919.jpg
20220920_094001.jpg

lasta

Blade Biter
Yaqi Mild razors daily double, Thursday, June 2nd 2022

Razor : Yaqi V2 Tile Stainless steel head(right side), Mfg 2021> mild range, Very efficient, well machined, easy to work the face and has a small angle widow because of it's design. Excellent shave this morning using this one.
Razor: Yaqi chrome Mercury Zamak head(left side), Mfg 2022> mild range, well designed, easy to work the face, also has a small angle window because of design of top cap design, Great audio feed back, close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Gillette 7oclock SP(1) sharp & smoooth, used on V2 SS Tile head.
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP (4) sharp & smooth, used on the Mercury head.
Soap : Ach Brito Lavanda, nice unique scent of lavender + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi 24mm
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :9.5 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my V2 Yaqi Tile razor with a Gillette 7oClock SP.
Results : 9 or CCS,DFS, BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Mercury razor with a Gillette 7oClock SP.
My shave off with these 2 fine mild razors indicate that the Tile head is slightly more efficient and I enjoyed both razors this morning, the Tile razor also had a fresh blade(1) compared to the Mercury head blade(4) that could of made a difference also. Excellent shave regardless of blades. It all gets shaved off tomorrow again! My nice change up for a different shave for my morning shave.
SOTD June 2 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!
Hi Ron,

What's the diameter on the hexagonal handle?

I'm getting a third batch of custom handles made, really trying to dial-in the sizing. This handle looks too fat...

Ron R

@lasta I had a few minutes this morning!

I won both Yaqi razors with Flipside heads on the handles in the Yaqi live sale raffles over the last 6 months, the Brass handle is heavy with the indents much deeper also. I enjoy the Aluminium handle slightly more because it less heavy but the indents are less.
Yaqi Hexagon handles I won in raffles.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Ron R

DE SOTD, Thursday, January 12th 2023, Photo retake (Blurry) while waiting for new camera lens glass for my phone.

Razor : Yaqi "Chrome Mercury" , Mfg 2023> mild to tame mid range, excellent chrome coating of head, easy to figure out angle, very enjoyable affordable (cheapie) razor when bought on sale IMO.
Blade : Gillette silver blue, sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Gillette Pure cream, nice sweet clean scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Moka express" 26mm 2 band badger, excellent lather generator, big pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter.
Post shave : Witch hazel beard area cleanse +Nivea refreshing AS:001_wub: + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 weeper =:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi Chrome mercury with a GSB blade.
SOTD Jan 12 2023 .jpg

Have some great shaves!

How efficient would you guys say that this razor is? What other razors is it comparable to?
I have this Yaqi Mercury razor head too. I would say it has the efficiency of the Rockwell 6C between the plate 3 and 4.
It is as smooth for me as the plate 3 of the 6C, so very smooth.
Very foolproof razor head, quite small angle of effectiveness and very loud audio feedback (watch the Yaqi Mercury head video from Kevy shaves, where you can clearly hear this razor head).
Works best with the sharpest blades (Bic Chrome Platinum).

The Fatip piccolo OC is more efficient as a point of comparison, also the Yaqi SLOC is more efficient, but both less smooth (altough with good technique the piccolo is fantastic ):biggrin1:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have this Yaqi Mercury razor head too. I would say it has the efficiency of the Rockwell 6C between the plate 3 and 4.
It is as smooth for me as the plate 3 of the 6C, so very smooth.
Very foolproof razor head, quite small angle of effectiveness and very loud audio feedback (watch the Yaqi Mercury head video from Kevy shaves, where you can clearly hear this razor head).
Works best with the sharpest blades (Bic Chrome Platinum).

The Fatip piccolo OC is more efficient as a point of comparison, also the Yaqi SLOC is more efficient, but both less smooth (altough with good technique the piccolo is fantastic ):biggrin1:
Thanks!

Top Bottom