What's new

Yaqi Mercury Head

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I think its their unique design on that one, I have one in the mail I bought at the live sale a few weeks ago. There are no lather ports and is designed for folks who want a mild shave and the angle is built in already. I bought a bunch of different heads for cheap recently.

Rule number one when buying new Chinese razors is to wait between a few months or up to a year before they refine and fix all the issues they have with the first versions. Most if not all of the Chinese razors go though this and this one probably isn't going to be an exception.

I think its their unique design on that one, I have one in the mail I bought at the live sale a few weeks ago. There are no lather ports and is designed for folks who want a mild shave and the angle is built in already. I bought a bunch of different heads for cheap recently.
Let us know how it shaves when you get it, please.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Does anyone know which head they are trying to copy?
Well, with a name like Mercury there's little doubt who they're copying.

Looks a lot like an old Merkur 41 fixed head "Progress"

pre-progress.png

I've used a few of the Yaqi razor heads and aside from the Double Open Comb one I found them (Scalloped Head, Cobbed Head, Katana) all too aggressive.

I'd try another if it was a bit more on the mild side of things.

Ron R

In fairness, the same is true of many non-Chinese razors.

True, the first batches are almost always experimental and there's a risk, which is why I always wait a bit before I buy any modern razor to see mostly if it's a good shaver or not.
You fellows are correct but for what I purchased my Yaqi razor heads for the risk reward was almost nil and more on the reward side.

Wise policy. Don't get sucked up by the hype!

A lesson learned after getting fooled once or twice :D. With the vintage razors I don't have huge expectations, since I like collecting them and even if some ended up not being the best shavers, I don't care that much, but if a modern razor doesn't shave me well, then I have absolutely no reason to keep it. The Rockwell 6S was my biggest mistake, because I followed the hype and even after a few months of using it, I still didn't like it.

Rule number one when buying new Chinese razors is to wait between a few months or up to a year before they refine and fix all the issues they have with the first versions. Most if not all of the Chinese razors go though this and this one probably isn't going to be an exception.
Yup. But I'm glad everyone doesn't follow Rule number one, else there would never be a second batch of a given product.😀

• Haha
Reactions: Kix
Thanks for all the suggestions of what they may be trying to copy. I had kinda thought it resembled a Progress, but I didn't know that Merkur ever had a static version of it.

TBH, I never made the Merkur/Mercury connection...:austin1:

Reactions: Kix
Yea, and being just a head, and not an adjustable, there is not too much that can go wrong with it.
It will be fun if for $10 it gives a different type of (and good, of course) shave than the hundreds of other razors out there.

Ron R

DE SOTD, Sat, May7th 2020

Razor : Yaqi Mercury chrome head with a Rocket handle, Great mild>tame mid range, well built and designed head, good chrome coating, easy to find sweet spot angle, good for buffing & overall accuracy of blade centered is good & I bought on a recent sale whim. Very little blade feel but very efficient from audio feedback + results where excellent IMO.
Blade : Gillette 7oclock SP(1) sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity. Top tier blade.
Soap : Tabac, nice mild flowery clean scent with excellent lather qualities. This soap has been around for some time.
Brush : Yaqi Goblin 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Pinaud Clubman with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent comfortable shave with my new Yaqi chrome Mercury razor with a Gillette 7oClock black.
SOTD May 7 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom