What's new

Yaqi Mellon:incredible

On discussing head shaves and blades, @Babou wrote he has been using the Yaqi Mellon the past three weeks for his head shaves. "No more irritation, redness and clean in two passes".
Since this SLOC is considered very mild, I found his claim hard to accept. Having the head myself, I decided to give it a try.
For those who don't know this razor: it is part of a serie, also including my to go Yaqi DLC. Those two razors put together form the Yaqi Beast, a notorious aggressive razor.

I started with the Mellon loaded with a Iridium Super. A fantastic blade. Then I lathered my beloved Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite and off I went. I could feel and see how mild this razor is. I usually shave my beard with a Muehle R41 and am used to a very close shave. The Mellon didn't come close. I was able to achieve a nice shave, but not nearly as good as usual.

Very disappointed, I started the head shave. After two strokes it became clear that this razor and blade were not up to the tough head shave. I decided to listen to te lessons learned at Badger & Blade and try another blade. I read many times that superb blades achieving top notch shaves in one razor can perform like a dud in anonther.
So I loaded the BIC Chrome Platinum and dear, oh dear.... The tame Mellon turned into a Superbowl challenger. Two passes: bold as a snooker ball. And no nicks, no irritation, just nothing unwanted.
Truly incredible.

Even though I only started DE shaving some months ago, I recommend the Mellon, inspired by an ancient, almost forgotten American Razor, for rookies too.
I think you can only cut yourself if you do it on purpose.
8BFB5EFA-6D5A-4384-96A4-93D815F5BCAA.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Very good write up on the Mellon head razor from Yaqi, I have one also from Razorock SLOC(melon head) but RR gives a stainless steel handle when you purchase one of theirs. I also bought one for my son for Christmas 3 years ago and he uses it still off & on. I have to agree it is a excellent razor to learn with and great for seasoned shavers who can get every engineering drop of excellence out of that razor.
I'm Glade you came across one along all the distractions a person can encounter in this Traditional wet shaving experience. I also highly recommend it a # of times also because it works well and is so cool to look at.
It's a old razor design concept from "The Grand shave king self lubricating razor" and it was around for years. I found if you rinse often it traps water and brings it up to the drying soap on my face and regenerates the lather sort of and works well IMO.
Thanks to Yaqi we all can enjoy using it once again and maybe even a little better than the vintage version?
Razorock SLOC 2017 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
You might try a less sharp/ more forgiving blade? I think the BIC is extremely sharp and kind of unforgiving. When I started using it a while ago, it drew quite a lot of blood, which I don't mind at all, btw.
The Iridium had no problem with the floppy area around my Adam's Apple when loaded in the Mellon.

Very good write up on the Mellon head razor from Yaqi, I have one also from Razorock SLOC(melon head) but RR gives a stainless steel handle when you purchase one of theirs. I also bought one for my son for Christmas 3 years ago and he uses it still off & on. I have to agree it is a excellent razor to learn with and great for seasoned shavers who can get every engineering drop of excellence out of that razor.
I'm Glade you came across one along all the distractions a person can encounter in this Traditional wet shaving experience. I also highly recommend it a # of times also because it works well and is so cool to look at.
It's a old razor design concept from "The Grand shave king self lubricating razor" and it was around for years. I found if you rinse often it traps water and brings it up to the drying soap on my face and regenerates the lather sort of and works well IMO.
Thanks to Yaqi we all can enjoy using it once again and maybe even a little better than the vintage version?
View attachment 1372336
Have some great shaves!
I have never seen a vintage Mellon, would be nice if someone has one and uses it.
On the water issue: you are absolutely right, it is a bonus.
I wonder if some resent this razor, because it is Chinese. Difficult to grasp why no US company makes a SLOC anymore. A hidden gem, that could be a top seller.

@Jack Goossen , It is a pleasure to read you, now that you have found the blade that suits for you and the razor head, always keep the same combination, as I often say we do not change a winning team :thumbup:

Ron R

Where's the best place to get them from in a timely manner?
Italian barber (Razorock SLOC) might be a good deal because you get a stainless steel handle also. If you buy over $60 US of products you also get free shipping unless they changed that minimum amount. You can also just buy the head also from Razorock.

Last edited:

Ron R

I wonder if some resent this razor, because it is Chinese. Difficult to grasp why no US company makes a SLOC anymore. A hidden gem, that could be a top seller.
I believe PAA Ascension is a Double open comb but is a little more pricier than the Mellon razor because it is made from stainless steel. Never used a Ascension razor and you will have to look on you tube for some of the fellows who own it.
Razorock also had their version SS double open comb and stopped production I believe (not enough demand?).

Where's the best place to get them from in a timely manner?
I got it from the Yaqi factory, via the famous Chinese website.
They ship items from inside the EU now to avoid importtaxes and vat.
So I got it fast, from their warehouse in Spain.

I believe PAA Ascension is a Double open comb but is a little more pricier than the Mellon razor because it is made from stainless steel. Never used a Ascension razor and you will have to look on you tube for some of the fellows who own it.
Razorock also had their version SS double open comb and stopped production I believe (not enough demand?).
After my shave I find it weird that razor was no commercial succes.
Is the Ascension a Mellon too?

I was thinking that it was a quality issue. The machined version couldn't match the smoothness of the ZAMAC head. I'm not sure though. I believe that I read several bad reviews on their product page.

Ron R

After my shave I find it weird that razor was no commercial succes.
Is the Ascension a Mellon too?
It looks like a Mellon but is a different razor made from copper. They could have other versions with different materials?
Picture is courtesy of @GlazedBoker, I took from another thread.
1638576363408.png

Have some great shaves!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
It looks like a Mellon but is a different razor made from copper. They could have other versions with different materials?
Picture is courtesy of @GlazedBoker, I took from another thread.
View attachment 1372480
Have some great shaves!

They still have this in aluminum. I purchased it a few months ago and shave with it on a rare occasion. It's a decent razor actually. Love the look of it. It has a teal baseplate, but the OC topcap is a satin aluminum finish.

I was thinking that it was a quality issue. The machined version couldn't match the smoothness of the ZAMAC head. I'm not sure though. I believe that I read several bad reviews on their product page.
PAA has the Ascension, which appears to be a same kind of razor. Demand must be high, since all the models are currently sold out, according to their website. The Ascension is adjustable.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I got my Yaqi DOC off amazon for £20 it only comes in the space blue colour and just under a week for delivery. I use mine for face shaving and pairing it with a Nacet or GSB makes for a close comfortable shave. Also in the description they say the head is made of zinc alloy but the handle is brass.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I shave every day my go to razor is my Fatip piccolo but for buffing stubborn areas like my moustache in my opinion the DOC is the best razor I have. I found that using it with a sharp blade like a Nacet or GSB brings out the best in this razor were if I use an ASP the results aren't as close as with everything YMMV I hope this helps

PAA has the Ascension, which appears to be a same kind of razor. Demand must be high, since all the models are currently sold out, according to their website. The Ascension is adjustable.
I have a serious problem with that whole adjustable claim. If it's adjustable then all three piece razors are adjustable. It's like claiming a pair of pants are adjustable because you can gain or lose weight to make them fit.

I have a serious problem with that whole adjustable claim. If it's adjustable then all three piece razors are adjustable. It's like claiming a pair of pants are adjustable because you can gain or lose weight to make them fit.
Explain, my friend. I'm no physics crack.

It's "adjustable" because you can loosen the head instead of screwing the handle on all the way. That will change the gap and blade angle slightly. Gillette pointed this out several decades ago. Of course if the loose head spins because it's not properly tightened and things go bad it's your fault for not properly tightening the head. If I want a true adjustable I'll get a vintage Slim or Super Adjustable for less than PAA wants.

It's "adjustable" because you can loosen the head instead of screwing the handle on all the way. That will change the gap and blade angle slightly. Gillette pointed this out several decades ago. Of course if the loose head spins because it's not properly tightened and things go bad it's your fault for not properly tightening the head. If I want a true adjustable I'll get a vintage Slim or Super Adjustable for less than PAA wants.
I have the PAA DOC Ascension Adjustable and it is adjustable to a degree, up to a full have turn of the handle, which does noticeably alter the shave. You can not do this with all three piece razors as in most other razors the loose handle would cause too much slack between the plates. You’d have an awful lot of blade chatter. The Ascension razors get away with this because of the extreme bowing of the blade by the plates. There’s so much tension on the blade that it acts like a spring between the plates. I don’t own a Mellon and so can not comment on if it functions similarly. I do however agree that the DOC range of adjustability is much smaller than a razor with an internal spring and adjustment dial.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Mine comes from their Spain warehouse.
Should be here in a week.
Let's see if I get the first shave first 😎
I think you will :D for some reason they wouldn't let me order mine from Spain to N.Ireland so I have to wait. I'm looking forward to see what you think of it as it will be my first slant.

Top Bottom