What's new

Yaqi Liberty 24mm Silvertip (long aluminium) review

I could not find the Semogue Owners Club boar that I had left at my in-laws since the last trip so bought a couple Yaqis from yaqishaving.com.au, including the Liberty silvertip, which I can't find reviewed anywhere in either the short or long handle. I think it is quite a nice option at around the same price as the SOC boar, and one of the rare providers of a solid metal handle.

The brush felt very heavy in the hand, in contrast to the larger Omega boars whose "silver" handle is shiny plastic. This was a block of sheer aluminium with quite a bit left in to fill in the bottom of the brush. In fact the brush was so heavy my hand cramped a bit on attempting my usual very fast rotations to generate lather.

No badger smell dry; a light wetting let out a whiff of animal but loading the soap got rid of it, and after the wash it is barely perceptible.

A single load lost 4-5 hairs.

The backbone was much better than expected. A hint harsher than a Plissoft out of the box, once loaded, the brush is very soft yet with significant push back, I'd argue more significant than a broken in SOC boar (but it is somewhat smaller, and heavier, which may impact the impression). It is also softer than my broken in SOCs - you can't feel any hairs.

I'm also out of my usual soaps/creams so had to use a gifted l'Occitane sandalwood, it would be unfair to review the lather on that basis, but it was slick and came up very fast. Plenty left in the brush as expected from a silvertip after two passes.

Before and after:

1569812839556.png1569812863917.png

Conclusion: I own two SOCs, multiple other Semogue and Omega boars, more synthetics and pure badgers than I can count (mostly gifted). I think for the price (USD 40 - at a local reseller! they are cheaper on eBay) this is a strong contender for entry level brush.

Thanks for the review! That handle though! That is one loooooooong handle.

I have a Yaqi silvertip and it's a lovely brush. Definitely has less backbone than my 2-band finest badgers but it's soft and makes for a good lather. Granted that it is a bit more expensive, I'll keep the one that I have but strain myself for future purchases. I have enough badgers so now, I'm only getting one for the looks... which is pretty bad.

That handle is available in two band and synthetic as well. The synthetic is around USD 20 on the Australian reseller for both the short and long aluminium handle version.

I'll freely admit that a metal handle is an acquired taste, but I had too many acrylics already (didn't stop me grabbing the Sagrada Familia as well, mostly, I'll admit, for the name). I wanted something to match the machined titanium handle from... I can't remember. But it is my favourite razor handle now, with the second favourite being the bamboo steel, also a solid heavy piece of metal.

Wood handles were an interesting idea but in practice accumulate lather deposits in an unsightly way. I prefer my acrylic Semogue to the numerous wooden ones.

Top Bottom