What's new

YAQI KNIGHT HELMET

I did not enjoy my first shave with the Knight Helmet...
'Tis only a scratch!

scratch.jpg

I own the head in the matte finish. I found it to be a very smooth and comfortable shave. It is somewhat of a dichotomy because it is definitely aggressive, extremely so, and if you look at it the first time you load the blade it is intimidating, it looks like it will take your head off. When I started using it, however, I found that correct angle very easy to locate and from that point on it was literally smooth sailing. In fact, it is one of the most comfortable shaving heads that I own, it really surprised me.

I use Astra Platinum blades most of the time, I would make sure you are using a smooth blade for this one. A Feather or other ultra sharp blade is overkill given the already aggressive nature of the head. I have sensitive skin and I can knock out a three pass shave with this with zero irritation. I would also make sure, and this is true for any razor, that you are using good products that do not contribute to irritation and provide slickness and cushion.

It does demand your attention and you will experience instant karma for bad habits like moving the blade horizontally without taking it away from your face. Aside from that it is a very nice head, and considering that you can get them for about 5 bucks it is a steal. Because I have easily irritated skin I do not do a lot of against-the-grain shaving but I gird my loins with this head and do so to clean up the areas under my chin and nose and have no trouble. As long as you keep the blade angle correct, which is very easy with this head, you will have no problems. I love it.

For comparison sake I would say that it is like an 8 or 9 on whichever of my Gillette Adjustables is more aggressive (I have a fatboy and a slim and one has more blade exposure than the other, I just cannot remember which). I would say, however, that I do not like the blade angle of the Gillettes at that setting, I usually do not go past 7, but the geometry is different with this head and I like it and have no problems despite the very significant blade exposure. I also have an old Gillette ball handle open comb and a cooper monobilt. The Knight is way, way more aggressive than the Gillette, and about 25% more aggressive than the Cooper, which is about the best overall shaver that I own, certainly the best open comb.

Great top cap design, giving better blade clamping than R41 IMHO. I've even used the top cap alone to improve blade clamping on my other DE razors.

The Knight Helmet I found was us a tad milder than the R41 nevertheless efficient

I have all yaqi safety razors except the slant.

I like R41 and iKon Tech... but these yaqi razors are just not razors. They are not efficient but just digging your face.

My first wet shaves as young and for two decades, I used only a gillette safety razor without guard. That's how my father was shaving and that's how I learned to shave myself. I really do not understand how they call them (yaqi) razors.

I like this razor head. It is extremely efficient and will mow through 10+ days of growth like butter.

I cannot stand the R41. Terrible design in my opinion.

That being said, the Knight's Head isn't an everyday shaver. But if you grow a thick stubborn beard, you'll get along just fine.

I have all yaqi safety razors except the slant.

I like R41 and iKon Tech... but these yaqi razors are just not razors. They are not efficient but just digging your face.

My first wet shaves as young and for two decades, I used only a gillette safety razor without guard. That's how my father was shaving and that's how I learned to shave myself. I really do not understand how they call them (yaqi) razors.
So are you saying that an old gillette with the guard removed is a smoother shaver than the Yaqi?

So are you saying that an old gillette with the guard removed is a smoother shaver than the Yaqi?
I'm not the guy you're replying to, but my dad also shaved his entire life with a DE razor with the guards removed (a Gillette Tech).

I inherited it when he passed away and tried in and off for 20+ years to get used to it (used maybe 2-3x per year). Nothing but horrible shaves.

About 4 years ago I discovered shavettes, and forced myself to master them. Revisiting the DEvette, it was a lot smoother, but still as smooth.

I kept at it and now it's as smooth as any DE or shavette. Very blade forward (like most shavettes), and just as bloodthirsty if you mess up, but oh so smooth and close shaving when you do things right. No margin for error though.

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but my dad also shaved his entire life with a DE razor with the guards removed (a Gillette Tech).

I inherited it when he passed away and tried in and off for 20+ years to get used to it (used maybe 2-3x per year). Nothing but horrible shaves.

About 4 years ago I discovered shavettes, and forced myself to master them. Revisiting the DEvette, it was a lot smoother, but still as smooth.

I kept at it and now it's as smooth as any DE or shavette. Very blade forward (like most shavettes), and just as bloodthirsty if you mess up, but oh so smooth and close shaving when you do things right. No margin for error though.
Love my devette. It's literally just a handle and a top cap (well, it has a rubber washer under it).

With all due respect to all my fellow shavers........I DON'T BUY ANYTHING CHINESE ANYMORE...I WILL NOT SUPPORT THEIR ECONOMY IN ANY WAY!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

With all due respect to all my fellow shavers........I DON'T BUY ANYTHING CHINESE ANYMORE...I WILL NOT SUPPORT THEIR ECONOMY IN ANY WAY!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
I can't be mad at you for that. Enough is enough. I stopped ordering from aliexpress back in February or March.

I don't know what it is about this razor that intrigues me so. I generally like mild DEs, but I keep getting tempted to try this one. I'm prolly crazy.

Top Bottom