What's new

YAQI HMW Silvertip

Hello,

I recently purchased two Yaqi Badger brushes: the 24 mm HMW Silvertip with Aqua Handle, and 26 mm 2-band Mocha with Mocha Handle. I have used each brush about 6 times.

The 2-band is wonderful. It retains heat and feels like a cloudy pillow massaging the face. The HMW Silvertip, however, is a bit of an enigma. After soaking, each hair stands erect, almost quill-like. The tips were extremely sharp for the first two or three lathering cycles, too sharp for face lathering. Now, it can be used for some scrubbing but the poking sensation is not completely gone. I would imagine that consistent use would cause irritation. Will this eventually break-in?

I can scrub with my Omega 49 without any issues. Shouldn’t the Silvertip be softer than the boar and the two band? Incidentally, it is softer than the other brushes in the dry state, but soaking doesn’t seem to cause the hairs to relax as much as with the other brushes.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
AAD858F1-D59C-49A5-9DDF-6F4D7C8BD0FE.jpeg

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hello,

I recently purchased two Yaqi Badger brushes: the 24 mm HMW Silvertip with Aqua Handle, and 26 mm 2-band Mocha with Mocha Handle. I have used each brush about 6 times.

The 2-band is wonderful. It retains heat and feels like a cloudy pillow massaging the face. The HMW Silvertip, however, is a bit of an enigma. After soaking, each hair stands erect, almost quill-like. The tips were extremely sharp for the first two or three lathering cycles, too sharp for face lathering. Now, it can be used for some scrubbing but the poking sensation is not completely gone. I would imagine that consistent use would cause irritation. Will this eventually break-in?

I can scrub with my Omega 49 without any issues. Shouldn’t the Silvertip be softer than the boar and the two band? Incidentally, it is softer than the other brushes in the dry state, but soaking doesn’t seem to cause the hairs to relax as much as with the other brushes.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.View attachment 1516633
It's been some time since I used my Yaqi 24 mm HMW Silvertip. As I remember, it was not "prickly" at all.

Yes, badger brushes will break in. If your brush seems to be improving with use, keep using it and it should eventually mellow out. :)

My only issue with mine was a persistent "funky" smell. I should dig it out, whip up a couple of test lathers and see how it's doing. :)

Ah! All three of these brushes had a bad odor. The smell of the Silvertip was less pronounced, but more persistent. It took many washes with warm water and detergent to get rid of it.

In my case, it’s only prickly when I am partially splaying the brush. I don’t feel that when I am painting lather. Thanks for your advice. I’ll keep using it. I was just surprised that the 2-band broke in so much more quickly.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Ah! All three of these brushes had a bad odor. The smell of the Silvertip was less pronounced, but more persistent. It took many washes with warm water and detergent to get rid of it.

In my case, it’s only prickly when I am partially splaying the brush. I don’t feel that when I am painting lather. Thanks for your advice. I’ll keep using it. I was just surprised that the 2-band broke in so much more quickly.
Now I need to remember where I put mine. ;)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hello,

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.View attachment 1516633
I just wrote this up on a another thread on Shavemac two band badgers today and just found your thread this evening, when you where talking about this days earlier so why not share what I have concluded.

I think it depends on the species of badger, I have a Yaqi aqua 24mm High mountain silvertip(their high end badger $) and it has a ever so slight prickliness(scritch) to it and some folks really enjoy that feel. I also have Yaqi 24mm silvertip badger brushes that have no (scritch) at all to them and feels like a soft pillow on the face when face splay scrub lathering and they call them sometimes (mountain?) white silvertip badger also and there is a difference in hair color from my different badger specie of silvertip brushes. I like using both these silvertip brushes a lot, The Yaqi Aqua high mountain silvertip badger has a much softer feel to the brush when dry compared to the Yaqi (mountain?) white silvertips and it is just the species difference IMO.
Other folks have mentioned this also about the Yaqi aqua High mountain silvertip yet it still is a nice brush to use and it has very slight (scritch or prickliness) has softened over time with use also I discovered + very enjoyable face feel.
When lather painting there is no face feel difference but when scrubbing there is a slight difference of the two brushes IMO.
Over 95% of badger hair comes from China and folks who harvest them know the different species of badgers well over there.
(L)Yaqi Aqua 24mm High mountain silvertip badger..(R)Yaqi Mysterious space 24mm (mountain?) white silvertip badger. There is even a difference in color of hair & the High mountain silvertip badger has a softer feel when touched dry.
Different spiece of badger brushes..jpg

The Yaqi (mountain?) white silvertip badger has no scritch when wet and also a very enjoyable brush and has a nice splay scrub with some backbone that is softer(finer hairs than two band) than a 2 band badger IMO. Silvertip badger hairs comes from the front of the badger cheeks and neck area from my limited knowledge.
Some more Yaqi Silver tips and Yaqi 2 band badger brushes all enjoyable brushes!
Brush dispaly of holding my brushes Aug 2022..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I just wrote this up on a another thread on Shavemac two band badgers today and just found your thread this evening, when you where talking about this days earlier so why not share what I have concluded.

I think it depends on the species of badger, I have a Yaqi aqua 24mm High mountain silvertip(their high end badger $) and it has a ever so slight prickliness(scritch) to it and some folks really enjoy that feel. I also have Yaqi 24mm silvertip badger brushes that have no (scritch) at all to them and feels like a soft pillow on the face when face splay scrub lathering and they call them sometimes (mountain?) white silvertip badger also and there is a difference in hair color from my different badger specie of silvertip brushes. I like using both these silvertip brushes a lot, The Yaqi Aqua high mountain silvertip badger has a much softer feel to the brush when dry compared to the Yaqi (mountain?) white silvertips and it is just the species difference IMO.
Other folks have mentioned this also about the Yaqi aqua High mountain silvertip yet it still is a nice brush to use and it has very slight (scritch or prickliness) has softened over time with use also I discovered + very enjoyable face feel.
When lather painting there is no face feel difference but when scrubbing there is a slight difference of the two brushes IMO.
Over 95% of badger hair comes from China and folks who harvest them know the different species of badgers well over there.
(L)Yaqi Aqua 24mm High mountain silvertip badger..(R)Yaqi Mysterious space 24mm (mountain?) white silvertip badger. There is even a difference in color of hair & the High mountain silvertip badger has a softer feel when touched dry.

The Yaqi (mountain?) white silvertip badger has no scritch when wet and also a very enjoyable brush and has a nice splay scrub with some backbone that is softer(finer hairs than two band) than a 2 band badger IMO. Silvertip badger hairs comes from the front of the badger cheeks and neck area from my limited knowledge.
Some more Yaqi Silver tips and Yaqi 2 band badger brushes all enjoyable brushes!
View attachment 1517941

Have some great shaves!
The display that you have created for your collection is amazing!
View attachment 1517916

These are my two twoband and my silvertip Yaqi's. Great brushes!!
Yes, I like the Yaqi badgers and synthetics. The designs are very creative and the build quality is very, very good. Between the two badgers they may have lost two or three hairs during cleaning and use.

View attachment 1517941

Have some great shaves!
West Coast Shaving also confirmed that it the HMW Slivertip takes longer to break-in and softens with use. The hair diameter on that brush seems noticeably larger to my eyes, so that might account for some of the differences between the species or the regions from which the hair was harvested. In any case, the poor badger gave up its life. I guess I should not complain about a little bit of prickliness.

Ron R

West Coast Shaving also confirmed that it the HMW Slivertip takes longer to break-in and softens with use. The hair diameter on that brush seems noticeably larger to my eyes, so that might account for some of the differences between the species or the regions from which the hair was harvested. In any case, the poor badger gave up its life. I guess I should not complain about a little bit of prickliness.
Chinese harvest the badgers for meat(protein) and fur pelt from my limited research, humans consume almost anything that moves for thousands of years on our planet but there is lot more of us around now than thousands of years ago and it is hard on nature no doubt .
As for the very slight prickliness I really don't notice mine as when I first started using it and West Coast shaving is more than likely correct, it is a great brush and will be around for many years hopefully.

Hi Ron,

Your observations correlate very closely with what I have experienced. In my case, however, the amount of prickliness was definitely not slight. If I tried to splay the brush and lather, the tips would shred my face. Your comment about the softness of the brush in the dry vs. the wet state is very interesting. Someone had posted a review on the Yaqi storefront stating that the brush was soft in the dry state but the addition of water brought out the sharpness of the tips. That's what I am seeing. Somehow, the absorption of water is affecting the hairs in a way that increases the rigidity of the tips. We don't normally observe that with most types of animal hair. I wonder if this type of badger spends time in an aquatic environment and this is some type of adaptation.

The more that I use the brush, the softer it becomes in the dry state, but the prickliness of the wet brush is not improving as much. I might try some things to soften the tips. If I have any success, I will report back.

I think that I figured out a method for softening the tips of the HMW Silvertip. Some biological molecules, like collagen and hyaluronic acid, absorb water and form a gel-like substance. In essence, they become softer and more malleable in the presence of water. Hair is mainly composed of keratin. In most instances badger brushes, like human hair, become softer when immersed in water. My guess is that the hairs on the HMW Silvertip absorb water in a way that allows the hair to maintain some of its rigidity, thus preserving its backbone. This could be a consequence of differences in the amount of crosslinking in HMW badger hair in comparison to standard badger hair or the orientation of the keratin in this type of hair.

In any case, I exposed the tips (around 3 mm) of the HMW badger hair to water that had been heated to 65 degrees Centigrade (150 degrees Fahrenheit) for about 5 seconds. I did this after the knot had been immersed in room temperature water for 5 minutes and shaken out. Next, I worked up a lather with shaving soap and immersed the tips of the brush for another 5 seconds into 150-degree Fahrenheit water. It is important to note that the hair close to the base of the knot never got hot.

The tips of the brush are now extremely soft, both when dry and when wet, and the backbone remains intact. I am quite certain that this approach voids any warranty and I have no idea regarding the long-term consequences the treatment can cause. I don't recommend it unless you have given up on the brush. Nevertheless, I am very happy with the results.

I may have jumped the gun on congratulating myself for breaking in the HMW brush. The tips are soft, but I discovered that a good deal of the roughness comes from the back bone. Yesterday, I burned the right side of my face with slightly too aggressive face lathering.

I still think that the brush will become softer over time, but my skin can’t tolerate splaying it at the moment. Side to side motions are fine.

I just wanted to give a quick update for anyone's future reference. I have had the brush for a little over a month now. I tried another technique where you leave the brush in shaving cream lather overnight; that seemed to further soften the hairs. At this point I can splay the brush and face lather with it, but it does still have a bit of scritch. With heavy lather the scritch is less noticeable.

The knot is unusual and has enough potential to make all this effort worthwhile. Although most badger brushes break-in much more quickly, I have a feeling that this one will take two to three months to reach its full potential. I do hope that the knot retains its backbone.

Thank you all for sharing all of your experiences.

Reactions: ewk

Ron R

SLANTemper V5, SEptember 27th, 2022

Razor : Yaqi slant- Mfg 2019, well built, interesting side shields for added strength but can make getting the blade out a little harder, this aggressive slant likes a steep angle(riding the bar) and it will reward a person with excellent shaves. I place a blade shim underneath because of lots of blade reveal and it becomes one of the best slants I ever used of my 3 slants it seems. It will bite when careless with my old flabby face skin as we age a little(skin stretching slightly works).
Blade : Gillette silver blue (5) sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Ach Brito Lavanda cream
[IMG]
, nice mild minty Lavender with excellent lather qualities. Ach Brito is a Classic soap company and have been around for over 130 yrs based in Portugal.
Brush :
Yaqi Aqua 24mm high mountain silver tip, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber, excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda AS
[IMG]
with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 small nick =
[IMG]
Excellent shave with my Yaqi slant with a GSB blade.
[IMG]

Have some great shaves!

I wanted to give the 4 month update on the Yaqi HMW Silvertip. The brush is now unbelievably soft in the dry state. In the wet state it still has a tiny amount of scritch, but I can face lather as much as I want without getting brush burn.

I do have a new observation that might be of interest to fans of this brush. I noticed that water accumulates in the base of the brush, right above the handle. Shaking the brush is not enough to remove the water. After hydrating the brush, I have to squeeze the base of the knot to remove the water that accumulates there. Is it possible that the knot is set too low in the handle? I am wondering if the knot is too densely packed and some of the rigidity issues with the hairs are a consequence of the manner in which it has been set.

If I had more experience with knots, I would try decreasing the depth of the knot setting. As things stand, I don't want to take a chance on damaging the knot by exposing it to steam. In its current state the brush is not quite perfect, but it is unique and highly functional. My Mocha 2-band, on the other hand, is flawless. That is part of my issue. I can't come to terms with a 2-band being softer than a Silvertip :).

Reactions: ewk
Top Bottom