What's new

yaqi helmet de razor first use and thoughts (headshave)

hey people so its aggresive, will bite if you give it have a chance and takes a stroke ot two to find the right angle,
i had at least 7 plus days worth of growth, it munched it down but what i didnt like was the blade chatter,
i mean even WTG it was noticable, ive never had a razor where i had blade chatter WTG,
XTG and especially ATG the blade chatter was noticable worse,
i mean i have the yaqi katana before thats a SE razor but that also suffers from blade chatter so i dont know if this is a yaqi thing? i dont know...

as with any aggressive razor you have to spend that little time longer shaving but tbh i found the blade chatter annoying as i felt even with a slick lather i had to be careful not to nick myself not due having a bit of a bumpy ride due to that blade chatter

i might try using two de blades next time i use this razor like the youtuber subie shaves does as he said it makes the blade more rigid and less blade chatter, so that will be interesting to try out...

This head is a monster. Just load a blade and take a close look at it. Try shaving off some stray hairs on the inside of your forearm. There is no angle you can take that can involve three points of contact like a normal DE (cap, blade, baseplate). The blade sticks so far out (blade exposure is HUGE) that you can choose topcap and blade, or baseplate and blade, but there are no other choices. You might be able to just do the blade alone, the exposure is so extreme.

When I use it, which is seldom, I go extremely shallow so it's topcap and blade. If you do it that way with ZERO pressure (almost feel like you are using negative pressure) you can get a good shave out of it. But honestly it's not a viable razor design. It's almost like a 5th grader just drew something on a piece of paper and they made it.

I think the head looks really cool, which is why I bought it (that, and it was dirt cheap). I also wanted to challenge myself to see if I could shave with a very aggressive razor. The answer is yes, I can, but once the novelty wears off, it just doesn't seem worth the trouble.

If only the baseplate were a mm or two wider on both sides; it would then be a really nice razor. I wish somebody would 3-D print a viable baseplate for the razor, but I'm sure nobody would do that because, let's face it, it's a 6-buck razor from China.

I'm not trying to discourage people from using the razor, but it's really stunt shaving, like gluing a blade to a popsicle stick (maybe not quite as bad, but it's on the same spectrum).

Reactions: saj
This head is a monster. Just load a blade and take a close look at it. Try shaving off some stray hairs on the inside of your forearm. There is no angle you can take that can involve three points of contact like a normal DE (cap, blade, baseplate). The blade sticks so far out (blade exposure is HUGE) that you can choose topcap and blade, or baseplate and blade, but there are no other choices. You might be able to just do the blade alone, the exposure is so extreme.

When I use it, which is seldom, I go extremely shallow so it's topcap and blade. If you do it that way with ZERO pressure (almost feel like you are using negative pressure) you can get a good shave out of it. But honestly it's not a viable razor design. It's almost like a 5th grader just drew something on a piece of paper and they made it.

I think the head looks really cool, which is why I bought it (that, and it was dirt cheap). I also wanted to challenge myself to see if I could shave with a very aggressive razor. The answer is yes, I can, but once the novelty wears off, it just doesn't seem worth the trouble.

If only the baseplate were a mm or two wider on both sides; it would then be a really nice razor. I wish somebody would 3-D print a viable baseplate for the razor, but I'm sure nobody would do that because, let's face it, it's a 6-buck razor from China.

I'm not trying to discourage people from using the razor, but it's really stunt shaving, like gluing a blade to a popsicle stick (maybe not quite as bad, but it's on the same spectrum).
i think i agree with your assessment, the head does look nice, especially when a blades loaded you can see the logo of the blades through the top cap, which is cool

im all for aggressive razors bvut this felt like an uncomfortable aggressive, not because its not forgiving but just due to the blade chatter

can you also relate to the blade chatter too?

@kingfisher forgot to say i used a gillette nacet too so one of the more sharper blades too,
cant say i was phased at all by the razor but the blade chatter was annoying lol

hey people so its aggresive, will bite if you give it have a chance and takes a stroke ot two to find the right angle,
i had at least 7 plus days worth of growth, it munched it down but what i didnt like was the blade chatter,
i mean even WTG it was noticable, ive never had a razor where i had blade chatter WTG,
XTG and especially ATG the blade chatter was noticable worse,
i mean i have the yaqi katana before thats a SE razor but that also suffers from blade chatter so i dont know if this is a yaqi thing? i dont know...

as with any aggressive razor you have to spend that little time longer shaving but tbh i found the blade chatter annoying as i felt even with a slick lather i had to be careful not to nick myself not due having a bit of a bumpy ride due to that blade chatter

i might try using two de blades next time i use this razor like the youtuber subie shaves does as he said it makes the blade more rigid and less blade chatter, so that will be interesting to try out...
I have not tried it but a comparison i saw a while showed it against the yaqi beast and if i recall correctly tbe beast was definitely smoother and a tad more efficient. I own the yaqi beast and i love it.

i think i agree with your assessment, the head does look nice, especially when a blades loaded you can see the logo of the blades through the top cap, which is cool

im all for aggressive razors bvut this felt like an uncomfortable aggressive, not because its not forgiving but just due to the blade chatter

+1

• Love

Yes, there is definitely too much blade chatter, too. The blade isn't supported well.

• Love
Well due to a friend of mine that convinced me to buy one, i have indeed placed an order. I will be doing a comparison with the yaqi beast, r41, ikon tech and knights helmet once i gets here and ill post my thoughts if that helps. I own the yaqi katana and i dont notice any blade chatter and I love that razor. I get amazing shaves with it.

I use mine now and again. Like the R41, you have to concentrate more than most other razors because it will draw blood at the drop of a hat. Like the R41, it can also deliver a very close shave.

Top Bottom