What's new

Yaqi heads

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Most efficient: Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant

Almost as efficient but much more comfortable: Yaqi Beast.

If I might offer a little friendly advice, don't waste your time with Yaqi.

Aside from their classic three-piece heads, the only zamak model worth a damn is the Old Type replica, which they apparently make for lots of other razor brands (or someone makes for them -- the China razor industry is so inscrutable). And that includes the SLOC, which is another gimmick, doesn't add anything to the shaving experience and is way too mild to be practical for most people.

The rest of their line is clickbait for online stores, whether Yaqi or under other brand names. They look flashy but they shave goofy. Once you get a decent razor you will never use them again.

Also, their stuff often isn't really all that cheap, regardless how you order it. Compare prices. You would be better ordering a generic razor from a seller with some longevity and a solid reputation. Order a generic razor from a Scrabble letter seller and you will probably get junk.

I have not tried their CNC stuff, and don't intend to. There is nothing about the Yaqi designs that indicates they know how to engineer a good razor. They just seem to throw stuff on the wall and see what sticks.

For some reason I don't fully understand, members on this site have a tendency to fall into fads and manias for certain brands and designs. I guess they are always looking for something new and novel to chat about, the old stuff being so BORING. Follow their advice and you will waste hundreds of dollars.

I hate to have to tell you this, but getting a really good razor and a really good blade and getting really good shaves every day is rather boring.

A lot of what you say is true, BigSpender, but it is not true that they are not that cheap. The Knight Helmet is $5 or $6.

The other thing is, the OP didn't ask for your opinions about the merits (or lack thereof) of Yaqi heads. He asked if you could list them in order of aggressiveness. I take it you cannot?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
If I might offer a little friendly advice, don't waste your time with Yaqi.

Aside from their classic three-piece heads, the only zamak model worth a damn is the Old Type replica, which they apparently make for lots of other razor brands (or someone makes for them -- the China razor industry is so inscrutable). And that includes the SLOC, which is another gimmick, doesn't add anything to the shaving experience and is way too mild to be practical for most people.

The rest of their line is clickbait for online stores, whether Yaqi or under other brand names. They look flashy but they shave goofy. Once you get a decent razor you will never use them again.

Also, their stuff often isn't really all that cheap, regardless how you order it. Compare prices. You would be better ordering a generic razor from a seller with some longevity and a solid reputation. Order a generic razor from a Scrabble letter seller and you will probably get junk.

I have not tried their CNC stuff, and don't intend to. There is nothing about the Yaqi designs that indicates they know how to engineer a good razor. They just seem to throw stuff on the wall and see what sticks.

For some reason I don't fully understand, members on this site have a tendency to fall into fads and manias for certain brands and designs. I guess they are always looking for something new and novel to chat about, the old stuff being so BORING. Follow their advice and you will waste hundreds of dollars.

I hate to have to tell you this, but getting a really good razor and a really good blade and getting really good shaves every day is rather boring.
Respectfully I'll disagree.

I have been wet shaving for over 10 years, and have probably used almost 100 razors. Yaqis are my favorite.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have been wet shaving for over 10 years, and have probably used almost 100 razors. Yaqis are my favorite.

That's nice.

Whatever makes you happy, go right ahead.

But I hate to see other people wasting their money on poorly designed junk.

I've had a few shaves, myself.

I started shaving when I was 11, BC.

That's Before Cartridges were invented. My first blades were carbon steel, so it was also before stainless steel double edge blades regrettably became common.

Back then, we didn't call it "wet shaving"; we called it "shaving."

Have a nice shave, Sonny.

From the more aggressive heads ... Yaqi Slant, Knight Helmet, Beast.

The milder ones. Mellon, Scalloped.

I have a generic Chinese razor head that shaves on par with my Merkur 23c, my favorite razor. Blindfolded would be a tough call.

(About 10 years here too. For reference, I have a Double Ring, Old & New, Bostonian, Tech/Speed/Adj. of all sorts, (2) different German slants, Krona, Star wartime, and a Gibbs (fantastic but *** pain blades). Formerly had a Red Tip, President, & Aristocrat.)

I guess every thread has to have a tool who states highly subjective opinion as fact...

Personally, I like the Mellon/SLOC. Quite mild and quite effective. The Katana half-blade head has not been mentioned yet but I gather it's on the aggressive side, or at least has more blade feel.

Top Bottom