What's new
  • Welcome back Guest!
    If you have been away from our site you may have to request a new password. Simply click on the link for "lost" password in the log in page.
    Thank you.
    The BST is now open, please note the changes in our guidelines to address the recent fraudulent activity. Ensure you read the guidelines prior to creating a sale thread in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum with special attention to the new photo and payment requirements.
    Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Yaqi copied the Vector

It's not a cut-and-dried issue. People should receive a fair reward for the work they do - but no more than a fair reward.

A reasonable reward for innovation is fair, based on exclusive production rights, but if this runs on indefinitely at some point it will become an economic rent and then the only fair way to compete is on production costs/quality.

Imagine if the guy who first rubbed two sticks together had tried to patent fire...
I agree. at some point there is Always competition.. Picture someone saying because it has a body and tires and an engine only one person can make one...
We would all be driving this G03.jpg
the first car

or this Instead of your current Tesla since this is the FIRST electric car !!!!!!!!!

Capture_d’écran_2016-10-14_à_21.26.28.png

Last edited:
I have just read the thread. I feel for Shane regarding Chinese copies. It is heartbreaking to see your design blatantly ripped off. I have friends who make high end eye wear. We were discussing the fact that they would take there product to a trade show only to find exact copies of their designs produced using cheap quality materials but looking exactly like theirs in always. It happens in many industries and not just by the Chinese. The music industry has been rife with these issues for decades. The fashion industry is totally direct in a way that constantly rips off style and design.

The first issue for me is not about censorship but about awareness. If I am aware that something is a direct violation of someone else's design then personally I will avoid the copy. The issue of affordability is very real for many people and I will not condemn or vilify anyone for that decision. Each person spends the hard earned how they wish.

If it was an incremental bettering of the design using quality materials then I am understanding that things sometimes progress that way. But blatant cheap copies are another thing.

Anyway with Shane's new model and production methods seem to be heading in the right direction and I wish him all the best.

I thin
I have just read the thread. I feel for Shane regarding Chinese copies. It is heartbreaking to see your design blatantly ripped off. I have friends who make high end eye wear. We were discussing the fact that they would take there product to a trade show only to find exact copies of their designs produced using cheap quality materials but looking exactly like theirs in always. It happens in many industries and not just by the Chinese. The music industry has been rife with these issues for decades. The fashion industry is totally direct in a way that constantly rips off style and design.

The first issue for me is not about censorship but about awareness. If I am aware that something is a direct violation of someone else's design then personally I will avoid the copy. The issue of affordability is very real for many people and I will not condemn or vilify anyone for that decision. Each person spends the hard earned how they wish.

If it was an incremental bettering of the design using quality materials then I am understanding that things sometimes progress that way. But blatant cheap copies are another thing.

Anyway with Shane's new model and production methods seem to be heading in the right direction and I wish him all the best.
I think it's all about affordability.Who would want a copy over the real thing?The only copy i've got is a cheap Chinese copy of the captains choice bowl.I'd love a real bowl but to get it sent here in the UK with postage,taxes and custom charges i simply couldn't aford it.I paid £10 instead of probably £100.You can see the difference in quality between them in the picture on page 1 of this thread mines the one on the right lol.So for some people only cheap chinese copies is viable.If i win the lottery i'll buy a captains choice lol.Take care happy shaves.

As long as WE keep buying cheap copies of anything, they will keep making and selling them.
If the consumer doesn't buy , they won't make them.
Or if the original maker patents it and then takes legal action against the copy.........(unfair: you design and make the best thing and then have to spend money in lawyers to survive......).
Talk about fakes: they are making and labeling N95 masks and selling them to hospitals....these fakes can get the health workers sick....now these people making and selling should be in prison!!!!!

Talk about fakes: they are making and labeling N95 masks and selling them to hospitals....these fakes can get the health workers sick....now these people making and selling should be in prison!!!!!
N95 mask or any medical equipment or medications for that matter are a whole different subject !!

People who buy a $200+ USD razor like the Vector have no interest in cheap Chinese knockoffs... So, this entire debate is pointless.

BTW, this Yaqi AC is not a Vector replica, as it has no similarity to it other than being an AC-type SE razor. It's head is bulky and tick, a sort of mix between Colonial General and RR Hawk v3, it doesn't resemble ultra thin Vecto's top cap the least bit. The handle also is totally different, nothing like Vecto's handle.

Last, but not least it's el cheapo zamak and not SS.

I don't really get what's all the fuss about...

People who buy a $200+ USD razor like the Vector have no interest in cheap Chinese knockoffs... So, this entire debate is pointless.

BTW, this Yaqi AC is not a Vector replica, as it has no similarity to it other than being an AC-type SE razor. It's head is bulky and tick, a sort of mix between Colonial General and RR Hawk v3, it doesn't resemble ultra thin Vector's top cap the least bit. The handle also is totally different, nothing like Vector's handle.

Well from what I understand all the fuss started when Shane tried to get any mention of the Yaqi censored out of websites discussions because he said it wasn't fair for someone to make them and didn't think they should be allowed to sell them.. I think its funny because a lot of people will buy the cheap razor to see what its like before spending that much on the blackland one while also knowing the blackland razor will be somewhat similar as well as different and if they like it they have no problem buying one of the blackland razors. A lot of people would rather try something cheap first before dropping several hundred dollars on a razor they don't even know if they will like the format of.. If we went by when someone came out with a design first we would have to remember that the vector was Not the first artist club safety razor to come out... Razorock came out with the Hawk before he came out with his razor so they should be complaining that someone copied their concept of a safety razor that uses Artist Club style blades..... So you See this is really a discussion that I also don't understand why is being had either....

Just as a note this post in in no way meant to offend ANYONE....
I can see the positives AND the negatives of both razors for different individuals... I agree the Yaqi is made from cheap materials and has poor quality control while the Vector is made from Far superior materials and excellent quality But at the same time some people CAN'T afford to spend that much on a razor ( Vector ) because they don't make enough or whatnot so in that aspect the Yaqi can fill that gap . Also if someone who CAN afford a Vector wants a travel razor BUT doesn't want to take the chance of it being lost or stolen then the Yaqi is cheap enough to fill that spot also..

Last edited:

BTW, this Yaqi AC is not a Vector replica, as it has no similarity to it other than being an AC-type SE razor. It's head is bulky and tick, a sort of mix between Colonial General and RR Hawk v3, it doesn't resemble ultra thin Vecto's top cap the least bit. The handle also is totally different, nothing like Vecto's handle.

What about the person that has $100 saved up and is planning to save another $100 to buy it? What will they do when presented with a $25 option? Just a hint: the SE forum had a thread full of people who made the decision to buy cheap.
I agree. at some point there is Always competition.. Picture someone saying because it has a body and tires and an engine only one person can make one...
We would all be driving this View attachment 1258998
the first car

or this Instead of your current Tesla since this is the FIRST electric car !!!!!!!!!

View attachment 1259006
There's a reason patents expire and there are thresholds for reasonable differentiation. Pellet grills, as one example. First made by Traegger for 20 years exclusively. Once the patent expired, the market exploded to include cheap and super high end versions. Gave the originator a fair head start and imitators an opportunity to plan their approach.

As for the "well I can't afford one" argument, it doesn't pass the sniff test. I can't afford (or refuse to pay for) a lot of things, doesn't mean I'm entitled to derive pleasure from something that potentially harms the creators of the original creation. I'll say it again, if these knock offs were made ethically, the price would be much higher (and yes, I consider artificial currency manipulation, a human rights record Stalin would be envious of, and the environmental perspective of a comic book villain all very unethical things). But then again, if they were ethical, they wouldn't be making knock-offs.

What about the person that has $100 saved up and is planning to save another $100 to buy it? What will they do when presented with a $25 option? Just a hint: the SE forum had a thread full of people who made the decision to buy cheap.

There's a reason patents expire and there are thresholds for reasonable differentiation. Pellet grills, as one example. First made by Traegger for 20 years exclusively. Once the patent expired, the market exploded to include cheap and super high end versions. Gave the originator a fair head start and imitators an opportunity to plan their approach.

As for the "well I can't afford one" argument, it doesn't pass the sniff test. I can't afford (or refuse to pay for) a lot of things, doesn't mean I'm entitled to derive pleasure from something that potentially harms the creators of the original creation. I'll say it again, if these knock offs were made ethically, the price would be much higher (and yes, I consider artificial currency manipulation, a human rights record Stalin would be envious of, and the environmental perspective of a comic book villain all very unethical things). But then again, if they were ethical, they wouldn't be making knock-offs.
20 years of market protection is like a crime against humanity. That crap reasoning shouldn't belong in any market.

Well from what I understand all the fuss started when Shane tried to get any mention of the Yaqi censored out of websites discussions because he said it wasn't fair for someone to make them and didn't think they should be allowed to sell them.. I think its funny because a lot of people will buy the cheap razor to see what its like before spending that much on the blackland one while also knowing the blackland razor will be somewhat similar as well as different and if they like it they have no problem buying one of the blackland razors. A lot of people would rather try something cheap first before dropping several hundred dollars on a razor they don't even know if they will like the format of.. If we went by when someone came out with a design first we would have to remember that the vector was Not the first artist club safety razor to come out... Razorock came out with the Hawk before he came out with his razor so they should be complaining that someone copied their concept of a safety razor that uses Artist Club style blades..... So you See this is really a discussion that I also don't understand why is being had either....

Just as a note this post in in no way meant to offend ANYONE....
And Colonial before them, and Cobra before them, Etc., Etc.

It's not just that they made an AC razor, it's the complete copy of the entire head. Anyone can say whatever they want, but the flat screw through the blade is a definite innovation and unique. It was shady as $%!+ (Poop) to blatantly steal the idea.

20 years of market protection is like a crime against humanity. That crap reasoning shouldn't belong in any market.
Really? You don't say? Please enlighten us as to what is fair? Or is your perspective that inventors/creators have no rights?
But you can kiss most medical and technological (and many other) advancements of the last 100 years goodbye because no for-profit enterprise (and many universities) would kill their research and development budgets.

Really? You don't say? Please enlighten us as to what is fair? Or is your perspective that inventors/creators have no rights?
But you can kiss most medical and technological (and many other) advancements of the last 100 years goodbye because no for-profit enterprise (and many universities) would kill their research and development budgets.
Personally, I'm all for free circulation of ideas, and red inside (as a true Euro 😁 aren't you Greek or something? or a traitor?)

Anyway 20 years is like one fourth of the life of a well-nurtured Western guy, even more if we consider world average, it's abominable to give that long of a market protection to ANY kind of business, aside from razors (which are a nice distraction, yet anything but critical...)

Personally, I'm all for free circulation of ideas, and red inside (as a true Euro 😁 aren't you Greek or something? or a traitor?)

Anyway 20 years is like one fourth of the life of a well-nurtured Western guy, even more if we consider world average, it's abominable to give that long of a market protection to ANY kind of business, aside from razors (which are a nice distraction, yet anything but critical...)
Όταν όλα είναι ελεύθερα και δωρεάν, τίποτα δεν έχει αξία. And in case you're not Greek: when everything is free/open and unearned, nothing has value. And I'll assume you're not Greek because if you were, you'd understand the ignorance of your statement and the harm the "gimme" culture has done to one of the oldest and most storied cultures on this big blue marble.

My signature used to read παν μέτρον άριστον, everything in moderation. You shouldn't have only corporate interests, but you also shouldn't completely devalue creation. Because, if you do, no one will create (without incentives, which those "red" systems you support usually enforced through abuse of persons and those close to them)

Top Bottom