What's new

Yaqi copied the head of the Henson AL-13 razor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a direct copy.
Question is if they can also keep the tight tolerances of the Henson. Otherwise it might shave very differently.

What handle would one use with that head?

Eben Stone

Staff member
Just looking at the second photo I can tell the quality is garbage. You can clearly see machining marks. What a load of crap.

My question, is the Yaqi head mild or medium. There is no information other that its 316 stainless steel. As far as the finish its hard to tell by the picture but from experiance Yaqi razors are finished very well.

There is nothing wrong with copying? I completely disagree.

How does copying a shaving brush as an example drive shaving brush innovation?

Henson shouldn’t have to reinvent their 6 month old razor design/invention just because Yaqi copies their design. Just because it is commonplace in China doesn’t mean it is right IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
copying drives innovation.
No, it actually has the opposite effect. There is a significant cost in research, development, design, testing, . . . and significant risk. All of that is reflected in the price. Henson developed a unique innovative design and sells a premium product for $70. The design is so efficient, it is the same design used in titanium model. Yaqi assumes none of the risk and eliminates the cost to develop a new product by "copying" the Henson design. Another word for that kind of "copying" is "theft," and that is why there are patent, trademark, and copyright protections. The fact that it costs too much to enforce those property rights does not make it anything less than "theft." If one's design can be duplicated without consequence, 1. demand for the original product is diluted and 2. incentive to innovate vanishes.

I'm very disappointed in Yaqi for doing this, not surprised, just disappointed. Unfortunately, we have already seen this happen to Captain's Choice with their lather bowl and Blackland with their Vector. I enjoy picking up cheap Yaqi brushes as a way to try out different knot types and handle sizes but wrestling with their blatant design theft has me questioning how much I should support them as a company from here on out. I like my Henson razor and Captain's Choice lather bowl and I appreciate what both of those companies are doing for the wet shaving community. Maybe it is time to dump my Yaqi brushes and get a Rudy Vey or Paladin... Because really, how many $10 brushes does one man need.

They did the same to Blackland with their knock-off Vector.
How about this little beauty. Logos are identical except for the name.

Let’s rip off a Canadian guy that might make a few brushes a month….

A3C9D2C9-6D98-4006-8BDF-148AAE56D31F.jpeg
C032A5B6-B979-4445-990C-7FD8883FD0C4.jpeg

I'm already thinking about buying a Henson so if the Yaqi shaves well, I may just buy the Henson and sell the Yaqi or even just keep them both.
I have no dogs in this fight, however, just buy the original Henson with confidence.

You will get nothing but a unique high end quality tool with the Henson - and in case you don't like it you can easily get rid of it on BST without a great financial loss.

There's no need to do the "intermediate step" if you are already intrigued by the Henson.

My 2 cent only...

Edit: I really wonder, too, what's the rationale of Henson for not offering a stainless steel version (full razor).

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Gents -
Please think about what you have to say and how it comes across to other readers.
Generalizations about what "Asians" can accomplish - "C'mon man!"
Endorsement of blatant product design misappropriation.

Not going to support either prospect.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I wish to apologize for perhaps not being specific in my last post.
Let me correct that here.
There is clearly a difference between reproducing Gillette old type razors from long expired patents and which have not been in production for over 100 years, and stealing a six month old design from a company which is still currently available on the market.
There are Asian inventions and designs which are unique and ground breaking, which refutes any notion that innovation and technological advancements don't come from "Asia".
Theft of intellectual property is not innovation. It's theft.
Complacency on the part of governments fuel the problem, for example:
Chinese authorities found that Shenzhen reflective materials institute had copied 650,000 Microsoft Corporation holograms at a cost to Microsoft of US $30 million dollars.
The institute was found to be guilty of trademark infringement against Microsoft, and the punishment was that the Chinese Court fined Shenzhen reflective materials US $252.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom