What's new

Yaqi Brush knots?

Hello all,
After trying Yagi's synthetic, I now prefer synthetic over my two-band badger brush. I'd like to purchase a 28mm synthetic knot to put in a different handle. Searching, I've seen so many different synthetic knots with different names like: tuxedo, and black & white. The places I've searched have been: AliExpress, Maggard, and West Coast. I've attached a pic of the knot I'm trying to match. Would anyone know who sells knots similar to Yaqi's? I have emailed Yaqi to see if they will sell just the knot. I received a reply, "Custom orders minimum qty. 1000."
Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.44.59 PM.jpg

The knot pictured is a Tuxedo. You can buy one at any of the sites that you named.

On AliExpress, two of the most popular vendors of bare knots are Oumo and Dscosmetic.

Maggard has a wide selection of synthetic knots. They use the term "Black & White".

West Coast Shaving only appears to sell one bare Tuxedo knot, but it happens to be a 26mm. It is a fan knot (as opposed to a bulb shape), but you may enjoy it as it is more compliant (i.e. softer on the face, splays easier).

While you're shopping for knots, I would suggest that you also look at Timber Wolf (also called Timberwolf) knots. They occupy the midpoint between the firmer backbone of a Tuxedo and the plushness of the Cashmere/Mink/Motherlode knots. The result is a very luxurious-feeling knot.

By the way, one of my old posts discusses the different types of synthetic knots. It'll give you an idea of how they compare to each other: Yaqi brushes: a "candy store" for wet shavers.

By the way, one of my old posts discusses the different types of synthetic knots. It'll give you an idea of how they compare to each other: Yaqi brushes: a "candy store" for wet shavers.
This is an awesome link. Thanks for the tips.

I have tried their Timberwolfe. I hated it and threw it away. It was soft, but had no support. I love the Tuxedo, firm backbone with soft tips.

I'll search the other recommendations both of you guys suggested.

Another one to consider is the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (PAA) Roswell Grey knot. It comes in both 24 and 26 mm. It was recommended to me by several members of the Forum, and I installed the 24 mm knot in a Yaqi Familia Sagrada handle. I don't believe that they sell a 28 mm knot, but the 26 might work in a 28 mm handle.

What type of hair does Yaqi brushes use?
I noticed this one says "thick" hair
OUMO BRUSH-Tuxedo
and this one says "thin" hair
Boti Brush-Tuxedo

Thanks.
There are a few fibre densities used in Tuxedo knots. Generally, they fall into the thick and thin categories. As you might expect, the thicker fibres tend to make a springier knot with more backbone (depending on the knot depth and loft, of course).

Yaqi has used both types, even in the same model of brush. For example, I have an older Red Marble 26mm Tuxedo that has very firm backbone. This was my favourite brush for a long time, so I decided to buy another Red Marble as a backup. However, the new brush had a knot that was noticeably less dense and much softer on the face.

Side by side, the brushes look identical. But on closer inspection, I found that the fibres in the new brush's knot were thinner and had a more natural hair-like spiral to them. This made the brush perform more like a natural hair brush, as well, i.e. easier splay and less springy.

That seems to be the latest trend because many people didn't like the springiness of that generation of synthetic knots. That is, the newest generation of synthetics is now designed to more closely mimic natural hair.

Personally, I like the firmness of the older synthetics. When paired with the feather-like softness of the tips, you get a combination that can be significantly different from newer synthetics (and any natural hair brush, for that matter).

Anyway, if you like really firm backbone and don't mind springiness, then the thick-haired knot might be more to your liking. The AP Shave Co. knot (called the 2BED) that @Beefdrippings mentioned comes in a high-density version that is firm, yet still compliant.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hello all,
After trying Yagi's synthetic, I now prefer synthetic over my two-band badger brush. I'd like to purchase a 28mm synthetic knot to put in a different handle. Searching, I've seen so many different synthetic knots with different names like: tuxedo, and black & white. The places I've searched have been: AliExpress, Maggard, and West Coast. I've attached a pic of the knot I'm trying to match. Would anyone know who sells knots similar to Yaqi's? I have emailed Yaqi to see if they will sell just the knot. I received a reply, "Custom orders minimum qty. 1000."
View attachment 1297838
Some times you go to a bigger tuxedo knot you might not enjoy it as much as your 24mm knot because they but so much fiber in the 30mm to make the knot that it becomes stiffer to display or lather painting thus not as pliable. I have lots of different Yaqi knots and that is what I noticed with larger synthetics and natural hair brushes IMO.

I have found out that the best size ratio for a synthetic is 24-26 mm at max. I have a 28 mm one with the most most beautiful handle but it doesn't behave anything that I expect from a brush.

Between the Yaqi 28mm Tuxedo and the Yaqi 26mm Moka Express 2 Band Badger brushes that I have when face lathering, the Tuxedo applies a thick lather and the badger applies a thin lather. I did a test by applying the same amount of water and lather to the brushes while using Tabac soap. What's the reason, and what am I looking for in a synthetic so the lather gets applied thick?

Hi,
Sorry took a while to notice this. Thewetshavingco.com sells single Yaqi knots - postage from Australia might not be all you hope for though depending on where you live. They've been great for me though. Currently waiting patiently for the silicon to dry on one that I've just dropped into an Oumo handle...

Attachments

• 20210730_111701.jpg
    20210730_111701.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 33
I have found out that the best size ratio for a synthetic is 24-26 mm at max. I have a 28 mm one with the most most beautiful handle but it doesn't behave anything that I expect from a brush.
I'll try your advice and give 26mm a try.
Is anyone familiar with this OUMO BRUSH- Synthetic hair shaving brush knots Coffee bottom white tip.
Just curious about density, backbone, and softness. It's not appearing on this site, which has been great to show the differences.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Personally, I like the firmness of the older synthetics. When paired with the feather-like softness of the tips, you get a combination that can be significantly different from newer synthetics (and any natural hair brush, for that matter).

I suspect my Stirling synthetic brush has a similar (if not the same) tuxedo knot, and I agree, it's a fantastic brush. Feels different from natural hair, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's a very reliable performer.

Worth knowing for those unaccustomed to it: the knot rewards painting strokes, not splay. Really, you do not need to splay this brush at all to get an exceptional lather, just paint.

Hello all,
See if you like the PAA stygian, it's less than $10 and fantastic. Nice soft tip with decent backbone for a synth.

There are a few fibre densities used in Tuxedo knots. Generally, they fall into the thick and thin categories. As you might expect, the thicker fibres tend to make a springier knot with more backbone (depending on the knot depth and loft, of course).

I bought a new Tuxedo in 26mm, to test the 26mm size, from Yaqi. I received it on Monday. What a mistake. The new knots basically have no backbone, and they don't seem to be filled thick enough. Now they're thin and flimsy.

I messaged Yaqi, asking if they changed their Tuxedo brushes. Their reply didn't help. It now seems that Yaqi just changes the color of their hair for different names for brushes. The new Tuxedo performs like their Timber wolf, just a different color. I like the old Tuxedo, a lot of backbone. Looks like I'm done with Yaqi.
Yaqi Brush.jpg

I bought a new Tuxedo in 26mm, to test the 26mm size, from Yaqi. I received it on Monday. What a mistake. The new knots basically have no backbone, and they don't seem to be filled thick enough. Now they're thin and flimsy.

I messaged Yaqi, asking if they changed their Tuxedo brushes. Their reply didn't help. It now seems that Yaqi just changes the color of their hair for different names for brushes. The new Tuxedo performs like their Timber wolf, just a different color. I like the old Tuxedo, a lot of backbone. Looks like I'm done with Yaqi.
View attachment 1317065
That's unfortunate. As mentioned in my earlier post, I also liked the older Tuxedo knots because they were firmer than recent iterations which more closely resemble natural hair.

Now, maybe the only way to get firmer backbone is to find brushes with a lower loft. Or re-set loose knots deeper into their handles, if possible.

If you eventually find a synthetic knot that more closely resembles the old Tuxedo, then let us know.

What type of hair does Yaqi brushes use?
I noticed this one says "thick" hair
OUMO BRUSH-Tuxedo
and this one says "thin" hair
Boti Brush-Tuxedo

Thanks.
Tuxedo knots are a little tricky. In my experience Yaqi and Oumo Tuxedos differ (I haven't tried Boti yet)

Yaqi Tuxedo is soft tips but higher backbone, with a some scrub to it.

Oumo Thick Tuxedo has a lot of scrub/scritch with high backbone. I did not enjoy it

Oumo Thin Tuxedo is the softest knot out there. No backbone, floppy, but makes lather easily. One of my favorites.

I also see that newer Yaqi Tuxedos differ a bit from the older ones... I haven't tried the newer versions so I got no say on it. My experience is from 2019 Yaqi knots.

My current favorite brush is the Razorock Beehive 28mm. It's outstanding on all fronts with a great handle to boot. I have several Yaqis including the 30mm barberpole and the Razorock beats them all.

Top Bottom