What's new

Yaqi Bohemia

Yes.

2 on the blade side/topcap side means you are using the more aggressive side.

Awesome, thankyou so much for confirming this for me. I’m looking forward to trying this.

The Karve Overlander in Copper was my last purchase. It’s nice but really only gives a DFS+ with a Feather Super Stainless installed….. Might get a Kai blade to try in there as I believe that’s a wider blade. May get a little closer to BBS.

I’ve high hopes for the Bohimia. Fingers crossed. ;)

Out of curiosity, what blade is everyone using for the more aggressive "2" side of the razor. I saw on person using Dorco to good effect. What else are people finding good for this.

I've the following blades on hand:

Feather Super Stainless
Wizamet Super Iridium
Personna Blue
Personna Red
Dorco
Shark Platinum

I sort of gave away all the blades I didn't like such as Astra Green, Voskhod Teflon Coated, Shark Super Stainless, Treet etc to mates I'm trying to get into DE safety razors :)

Iridian

Cool and slimy
If you want the absolutely sharpest blade, try a Feather.
For aggressive razors I like often some cushioning, though, so blades that are not that likely to punish every mistake with a cut.
Voshkod or Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum (the black one) come to mind. Nacet and BIC are good if you want a cheaper but also good Feather alternative.

Shark Platinum are extremely forgiving usually though rarely give the absolute closest shave. I may experiment with those and the razor on 2 at some point….. To start with I’ll try 1 and a Feather…. I’ll also see if the Wizamet are better. The Wizamet Super Iridium match the sharpness of Feathers in my Stonehenge whilst being both smoother and more forgiving, yes Feather is smoother in the Yaqi Ghost 70. I can never quite pick when one of these blades will better the other.

If you want the absolutely sharpest blade, try a Feather.
For aggressive razors I like often some cushioning, though, so blades that are not that likely to punish every mistake with a cut.
Voshkod or Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum (the black one) come to mind. Nacet and BIC are good if you want a cheaper but also good Feather alternative.
I thought the black gs platinum was sharp? I have it on my radar to pick from India next month.. is it not on the likes of regular Gillette PLATINUM blue ones?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I thought the black gs platinum was sharp? I have it on my radar to pick from India next month.. is it not on the likes of regular Gillette PLATINUM blue ones?
It's much more coated and it becomes sharp after 2-3 shaves. That's the point when the Feather goes from sharp to an already quite worn out state.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
learnt something new today.. sharper after a few uses. Will check it out next month.
There was a website that is unfortunately down now that compared sharpness with a meter after every shave and I in general agreed to his ratings. Feather was the sharpest, but also lost its edge quickly. In general stainless steel labeled blades start out better but wear out earlier.

Edit:

Take a look, might take a while to load but it still works.

Go 100 entries and sort by sharpness, first you get blanks that were not tested and then the Feather. Notice how some blades held up better.

How would a bohemian razor be compared to KARVE Overlander? I am thinking to get the Bohemian or the Mühle r41 for some aggressive razor...

I'll let you know once I receive my Bohemia. I've a Karve Overlander in copper which is a lovely thing to use though for me at least really only gives a DFS result over 3 passes with a Feather blade whereas a Rockwell 6S on plate #2 with Feather will give me a BBS on my face and jawline though DFS on the neck, and Vikings Blade Godfather Stonehenge with Wizamet Super Iridum the same result as the Rockwell but with a slightly better result on my neck.

I'd go so far as to say if the 6S were a little wider so it covered the blade tabs, and a variant were made in copper and tripple plated it would be my perfect razor. Unlock the Stonehenge it successfully gets all the little hairs up under my nose and not quite as close on the neck is a trade off I'm willing to make though given that was my first shave with it I suspect I may be able to improve the result I get in this area. I did get about 6 small blood spots and micro weepers though the bleeding stopped pretty much immediately so I consider that a successful shave (I've very sensitive skin).

I'm rather hoping the Bohemia can match the 6S or Stonehenge in terms of shave closeness and mildness of the shave as so few razors seem to be able to do this without skin irritation or bleeding. If it can then that will put it above the Overlander though I guess only time will tell. I'm hoping the large rounded comb makes for a nice mild yet reasonably efficient shave. :)

Last edited:
Well for me using a Feather blade I got a bloody massacre….. To be fair I’ve found very few razors to be mild enough for me as I’ve exceptionally sensitive skin. I will try again in a few days with a Personna Red or Shark Platinum. Leaning towards the Shark anct. Efficiency/aggression was very high with the #1 facing the top cap. Indeed one of the most efficient razors I have used.

To be fair I need to get these 3x moles removed as the buggers will bleed for hours once nicked. I’ve an appointment regarding that next month. I think the razor shows potential but the Feather is just too much with Bohemia which makes me thing Wizamet Super Iridium might be a bit much also so yeah, probably Personna Red or Shark Platinum.

Damn, I had the base plate around the wrong way set to aggressive. Little wonder. Might try a Wizamet next. I was blaming the tool when I was at fault.

Last edited:
Reading @MattyW remarks made me put out the Bohemia again for this morning's shave.

I don't have Feather blades, dont care for them much and I find them overpriced. I chose a milder Lord Cool blade and it delivered an excellent and bloodless result. There is blade feel, but I really can't see how I could cut myself with this.
Is it at all possible that you are using downward pressure on your razor? Most de razors dont need pushing down on them, the Bohemia certain ly doesn't, given it's high weight.

I hope another blade solved the issue, because this razor really deliver some close shaves.

Gl!

Screenshot_20240625_081200.jpg

Bohemia really is a mild razor. Particularly plate 1. Plate 2 add only little bit of bite.
But I remember my first shave was not pleasant with Rockwell blade. I guess there needs to be done some blade-razor matching.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Bohemia really is a mild razor. Particularly plate 1. Plate 2 add only little bit of bite.
But I remember my first shave was not pleasant with Rockwell blade. I guess there needs to be done some blade-razor matching.
I cut myself at the chin with it yesterday, will report about that tonight but leave out the medical part.

I shave with the Bohemia and the Voshkod and other blades, all okay
I shave with the Dorco Prime with all kinds of razors, all okay
Dorco Prime and Bohemia seem jinxed, but it is likely a personal matter. I had a serious outbreak of atopic eczema one the first day of fine weather after endless rain and mud, guess I am really allergic to grass. And ran through a sea of grass on one of my preferred 6,5 km trails. But it always happens when I shave with the Bohemia/Dorco combo. It is likely a coincidence, though.

When one does an aggressive ATG cleanup, the long handle and high weight of the razor head might be to blame for cuts around the chin, that happend not only once to me.

When pushing for perfection, this one is not as safe as one would think, at least I underestimated it. But might as well just be my skin being in a bad condition to start with.

Zero pressure yes. I’m accustomed to that using my 159g Vikings Blade Godfather Stonehenge, or the Karve Overlander Copper though those are this far the two razors give me best results.

After a few days I’ll revisit the Bohemia. My biggest issue is my moles though I’ll get those removed soon. Took the head off one which wasn’t pretty. I believe with the plate correctly set to mild I’ll get a better result next time. It’s a stunning razor and I really want it to work for me so I’ll figure it out

Last edited:
Top Bottom