What's new

Yaqi Badger Brushes

What are your thoughts on the Badger choices from Yaqi?

I have the Two band , silvertip and the High Mountain White.

Used the High Mountain for the first time and like most brushes or razors I use for the first time I think it’s the greatest thing lol.

For me it was super soft with good backbone. Almost seemed like a synthetic with good splay. It is real dense and was great at face lathering.
Soft but not floppy at all. And best of all it only took a little over two weeks to arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Used the High Mountain for the first time and like most brushes or razors I use for the first time I think it’s the greatest thing lol.

For me it was super soft with good backbone. Almost seemed like a synthetic with good splay. It is real dense and was great at face lathering.
Soft but not floppy at all. And best of all it only took a little over two weeks to arrive.

I really like my Yaqi Silvertip, no secret there lol.

I find my little Maggard synthetic softer and smoother and I reach for it more often, but thats with soaps.

I bought my Yaqi for using with creams. Face lathering Captain's Choice creams is fantastic. All of what you say, soft, great backbone, nice smooth predictable splay and it holds a lot of lather.

Try soaking it in hot water for a minute or two before loading and face lathering a cream. You'll be in for a comfortable treat. Mine still has heat in it for my third pass if need be.

I only have the Silvertip, how would you describe each one in comparison to the other?

I really like my Yaqi Silvertip, no secret there lol.

I find my little Maggard synthetic softer and smoother and I reach for it more often, but thats with soaps.

I bought my Yaqi for using with creams. Face lathering Captain's Choice creams is fantastic. All of what you say, soft, great backbone, nice smooth predictable splay and it holds a lot of lather.

Try soaking it in hot water for a minute or two before loading and face lathering a cream. You'll be in for a comfortable treat. Mine still has heat in it for my third pass if need be.

I only have the Silvertip, how would you describe each one in comparison to the other?

I would say the two band has the most backbone and firmest of the three but still very soft. Great for fave lathering or a hard soap.

The silvertip is great as you know. Soft with good backbone.

I think the High Mountain is a good mix of the two band and the silvertip. Not as firm as the two band but really soft and luxurious feeling.

You can’t beat them for the price. All three together are less than some of the older established brands for one.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I think the High Mountain is a good mix of the two band and the silvertip. Not as firm as the two band but really soft and luxurious feeling.

Softer than a Silvertip with nearly the same backbone would make for a very nice brush indeed.

They are certainly inexpensive, but theres nothing cheap about them.

proxy.php

Softer than a Silvertip with nearly the same backbone would make for a very nice brush indeed.

They are certainly inexpensive, but theres nothing cheap about them.

Yes that is a better way to describe them. Quality at a great price.

I own a Yaqi Slivertip and have a high mountain white in the way. After your review, I'm so excited to try it out.

Good reading about the differences, thank you. I’ve got a Yaqi two band on order, hopefully will be here in the next couple of weeks.

I like badgers with some scritch, so the two band has been good so far (I have only used it twice). i bought it to complement the synthetic in the same handle and knot size (24mm). I have no interest in expanding my yaqi brush collection further with higher grade badgers even if they are good. Since I already have a number of high quality badgers that need attention.

Ive got a 2-band with their mysterious space handle. I believe its 24mm. Its a great brush, easily as good as any badger brush Ive ever owned and it hasnt shed a hair as of yet. For the price, you cant beat it.

I really like the Yaqi HMW Silvertip also. There are some brushes called High Mountain that seem to be a mix of silvertip and two band but I don't think this HMW is a mix of two band and silvertip. It is definitely not bleached lighter than than the Yaqi silvertip. It is definitely softer than the regular Yaqi Silvertip. In fact, it is very much like the Razorock HMW silvertip no longer carried on the Italian Barber site. I do think the HMW is softer due to the location of the hairs on the badger pelt. Also they do a pretty decent job of building the brush and stacking the hair in forming the bulb. They don't cut too many tips allowing for a very soft silvertip with fine hairs and very little prickliness associated with trimmed hair in the bulb shaping process. I have a few brushes costing 4 times as much that don't have any nicer knots. The company that I think does the best job aligning hairs in their brushes is Da Vinci who also makes cosmetic and artist brushes. The only gripe I have heard with Da Vinci is some complain of losing excessive hair although I haven't found that to be the case. Anyway, I think this is an extremely soft and reasonably dense brush with a nice bloom that doesn't hog the lather excessively. It might be a little soft for a face latherer unless your used to using synths for face lathering. If you're a bowl latherer, this brush is tough to beat for the price, especially if you have a coupon and free shipping like I had. I think I paid around $42 delivered. I have used synths quite a bit over the last year, but this brush is bringing out the badger lover in me again.

Just got my Yaki 24 MM 2 band with the space handle yesterday. I did the break-in as explained on the wiki page last night and shaved with it this morning. Wow! I really like that brush!

I bought the 24mm barber pole YAQI in best badger and it's fantastic! Beats my silvertip badger from classicedge.ca all to pieces (and at 1/3 the price).

upload_2018-5-4_10-37-1.png

IMG_0958.JPG
IMG_0959.JPG
Not that long a wait afterall. About 10 days. I lathered both brushes yesterday and let them dry. Used the red one today. Perfect for me. Some backbone and very soft tips.

Not that long a wait afterall. About 10 days. I lathered both brushes yesterday and let them dry. Used the red one today. Perfect for me. Some backbone and very soft tips.

Which ones did you get? I've got the Yaqi 24mm 2 band badger & starting to think about getting another brush from Yaqi with maybe a little more backbone.

Top Bottom