What's new

Yaqi adjustable razor

Hello,

While browsing Aliexpress last night I noticed Yaqi had it's adjustable razor for sale. Looks like they had a run of 153 units available. I grabbed one with 3 left. Did anyone else grab one?

Cheers
John

This one?
proxy.php

- Fayiz D.

It’s in my wish list but haven’t bought it. It’s so inexpensive, especially when you factor in free shipping, that I should just do it.

Let us know how it works for you.

I grabbed one too.... will be waiting a month or so for this to arrive....Looks pretty good and all components can be taken apart just like the Gibbs or Rex ambassador

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I recently got the dlc yaqi scalloped razor...loved the handle and was extremely pleased with the shave.... Edwin jagger style head but way more efficient..yet not aggressive... great razor...

Thats what made me order the adjustable too.... they even have a new AC style aingle edge....to compete with the razorock hawk and the vector.... they seem to know what thwir customers want.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Didn't know this had been released. I assume at that price it is a zamak razor? Would like here more reviews.

Would like here more reviews.

Yaqi have taken their "Solid Bar" head and fitted it with a Gibbs style adjustment mechanism.

They haven't fixed the problem that existed in the first version. The work-around is
1 - Loosen the twist knob and install blade.
2 - Make sure that the adjuster knob is it its most closed, not tight though.
3 - Undo the handle 1 to 1,5 turns and at the same time made sure that the adjuster knob is still loose-ish
4 - Hold the handle and tighten the twist knob.
Now that you have everything all tightened up, the adjuster knob should rotate freely.

I have a V2 and on mine the calibration is 1 number out.
Another issue is that the indicator on the adjustment dial is too small and gets lost in the chrome for me.

How does it shave:
I have the similar fixed head and have found it to be pretty mild. On the low settings this is slightly more aggressive. The fact that I can open the gap up on it has turned it into a pretty decent shaver. I found a quite a bit of blade feel but not as effecient as I would have expected for that amount of blade feel. There is also a bit of drag but the Personna has more so don't really see it as a negative.

Overall, I managed a BBS in 3Passes plus some touch-ups.

For its price it's worth it - JMHO. (& YMMV etc)

My future plans with it - Its a very unusual thread. I have two taps on the way which I believe are the right ones.
I'll make a new handle that should solve the problem and a new adjuster knob with an indicator that I can see.

This razor was 1st released last year. It originally started out as a razor to be released by Heritage Shaving but the Mfg he was using sold the project to Yaqi... I think the 1st release was around July/Aug of 2020 but I can't recall actually seeing any shaving reviews of them now that I'm thinking of it??

Here are a couple threads on it.

Its a completely different head to a Gibbs or any one of the clones / knock-offs / homages so Yaqi must have paid for the tooling to make that.

Yaqi have taken their "Solid Bar" head and fitted it with a Gibbs style adjustment mechanism.

They haven't fixed the problem that existed in the first version. The work-around is
1 - Loosen the twist knob and install blade.
2 - Make sure that the adjuster knob is it its most closed, not tight though.
3 - Undo the handle 1 to 1,5 turns and at the same time made sure that the adjuster knob is still loose-ish
4 - Hold the handle and tighten the twist knob.
Now that you have everything all tightened up, the adjuster knob should rotate freely.

I have a V2 and on mine the calibration is 1 number out.
Another issue is that the indicator on the adjustment dial is too small and gets lost in the chrome for me.

How does it shave:
I have the similar fixed head and have found it to be pretty mild. On the low settings this is slightly more aggressive. The fact that I can open the gap up on it has turned it into a pretty decent shaver. I found a quite a bit of blade feel but not as effecient as I would have expected for that amount of blade feel. There is also a bit of drag but the Personna has more so don't really see it as a negative.

Overall, I managed a BBS in 3Passes plus some touch-ups.

For its price it's worth it - JMHO. (& YMMV etc)

My future plans with it - Its a very unusual thread. I have two taps on the way which I believe are the right ones.
I'll make a new handle that should solve the problem and a new adjuster knob with an indicator that I can see.

Does the handle or any other parts like the adjustment knob fit the Gibbs?

Does the handle or any other parts like the adjustment knob fit the Gibbs?
Ha Ha, and make my "Future Plans" easy?
Unfortunately not, they are different threads.

Edit: The twist knob is standard M5 by the way.
Edit 2: Just after I received it and discussed the issue with our local agent, I asked him to send Yaqi an email asking them to make it based on their DOC head - I think that would be awesome.

Last edited:
Ha Ha, and make my "Future Plans" easy?
Unfortunately not, they are different threads.

Edit: The twist knob is standard M5 by the way.

That is funny and unfortunate for us Gibbs owners looking for some spare parts. Had it all planned out that I would pick one up, have the handle Gunkoted in black and throw it on. Oh well.

I mentioned on another thread that I wish that Pearl would have spent the time copying the Gibbs directly instead of the effort of copying the Rex. Copy the Gibbs and modify it like the Personna for standard blades. An all brass CNC Micrometric under $100 bucks, would’ve been glorious.

That is funny and unfortunate for us Gibbs owners looking for some spare parts. Had it all planned out that I would pick one up, have the handle Gunkoted in black and throw it on. Oh well.
Yes, it is a pity.

I mentioned on another thread that I wish that Pearl would have spent the time copying the Gibbs directly instead of the effort of copying the Rex. Copy the Gibbs and modify it like the Personna for standard blades. An all brass CNC Micrometric under $100 bucks, would’ve been glorious.
+1 on this.

Got mine today, used it. It's an "experimental" machine. A pain in the rear end to use....now my black beauty with a broken clicker that spins freely 360 x 3 is far better and easier to use..... Did half a face on some number mid movement (since it starts at 4-5 or 6 if tight..... . Anyway 3 passes, has some blade feel, result was close shave no accidents but some irritation..... This thing is annoying and takes away the joy of shaving..... It does work, but so does a 10 cent personna double cart and it shaves better.

Got mine today, used it. It's an "experimental" machine. A pain in the rear end to use....now my black beauty with a broken clicker that spins freely 360 x 3 is far better and easier to use..... Did half a face on some number mid movement (since it starts at 4-5 or 6 if tight..... . Anyway 3 passes, has some blade feel, result was close shave no accidents but some irritation..... This thing is annoying and takes away the joy of shaving..... It does work, but so does a 10 cent personna double cart and it shaves better.
Sorry to hear but thanks for the review. I’m still hoping Heritage Collection Shaving manages to complete their original project and put out a quality, Gibbs replica, that stays true to the original design (but adapted for standard blades of course). Alas, their website hasn’t changed for many months so who knows what is happening or not happening.

Top Bottom