What's new

Yaqi 24mm Aqua Badger Brush First Use Review

Today i came close to ordering a Yaqi silvertip. You are partially to blame with your review. Maybe i will still order one later on.

Well, I don't want to be an enabler...BUT...if you do, I'm pretty sure you won't regret it. :p

I am sure i won't either. Silvertip is the one Yaqi that i don't have. But i have many brushes already and they seem...big...But i am having second thoughts and who knows, i may grab one in autumn, after some months of sabbatical. I do lack a Yaqi with blue handle...

I am sure i won't either. Silvertip is the one Yaqi that i don't have. But i have many brushes already and they seem...big...But i am having second thoughts and who knows, i may grab one in autumn, after some months of sabbatical. I do lack a Yaqi with blue handle...

If you do, at least get both the Aqua and the Moka. You know you will want both eventually. :001_cool:

If you do, at least get both the Aqua and the Moka. You know you will want both eventually. :001_cool:

Blue , as in mysterious space blue. One. Slots full. Moka handle might be good for coffee pots, but might not be so ergonomic for brushes and its brown. I have already deep brown Yaqi 2 bands (2 of them). Aqua is not blue either and i would have to order it from China, because local vendors don't carry it.

Patience my friend keep watching the yaqi page as they can suddenly announce a big sale.

I am entering Sabbatical until September at least. Then, maybe i will get one mysterious space silvertip locally. I don't want to wait for China delivery. The price difference for silvertips is small and they deliver it in 2 days instead of 1+ month.

Blue , as in mysterious space blue. One. Slots full. Moka handle might be good for coffee pots, but might not be so ergonomic for brushes and its brown. I have already deep brown Yaqi 2 bands (2 of them). Aqua is not blue either and i would have to order it from China, because local vendors don't carry it.

I am entering Sabbatical until September at least. Then, maybe i will get one mysterious space silvertip locally. I don't want to wait for China delivery. The price difference for silvertips is small and they deliver it in 2 days instead of 1+ month.

Locally? Does yaqi have shops outside China?

West coast Shaving has a few of theirs, including the mysterious space brush. I am almost certain I saw Yaqi brushes at Pasteur's when I went (January this year?)... But don't quote me. I was a bit awestruck by the sheer selection. [emoji16]

Online they have AliExpress, West Coast Shaving, and apparently their own Australian website? (Just saw this...)

Very accessible products. A lot easier to find that those Wolfman razors, lol.

EDIT: just checked and WCS doesn't carry the mysterious in badger, only synth. They do have the 24mm Arctic sky blue in badger, but not space. [emoji3525]

Last edited:

In Italy they have one official reseller (who has old models only though), a few brushes have appeared in another shop (also old models) and in Amazon there is one italian seller (again, old models though, might be the same as the official reseller) and one from UK, who has some newer models. The synthetics are sold considerably more expensive compared to buying from Ali Express, the 2 bands less and the silvertips even less.

Bottom line is, if you want to buy in quantity synthetics and 2 bands, you re' better off ordering from China. If you want just one silvertip, you can order locally and you only pay a few euros more for having fast delivery.

West coast Shaving has a few of theirs, including the mysterious space brush. I am almost certain I saw Yaqi brushes at Pasteur's when I went (January this year?)... But don't quote me. I was a bit awestruck by the sheer selection. [emoji16]

Online they have AliExpress, West Coast Shaving, and apparently their own Australian website? (Just saw this...)

Very accessible products. A lot easier to find that those Wolfman razors, lol.

EDIT: just checked and WCS doesn't carry the mysterious in badger, only synth. They do have the 24mm Arctic sky blue in badger, but not space. [emoji3525]

I see well I'm in Singapore and stuff from the US or Europe takes a much longer time and price to reach me.

In Italy they have one official reseller (who has old models only though), a few brushes have appeared in another shop (also old models) and in Amazon there is one italian seller (again, old models though, might be the same as the official reseller) and one from UK, who has some newer models. The synthetics are sold considerably more expensive compared to buying from Ali Express, the 2 bands less and the silvertips even less.

Bottom line is, if you want to buy in quantity synthetics and 2 bands, you re' better off ordering from China. If you want just one silvertip, you can order locally and you only pay a few euros more for having fast delivery.

No wonder lol. Its easier for me to get stuff directly from China so its no issue for me.

I have three Yaqui brushes, the Moka two band, 24 silver tip and a 24 two band. The handles are gorgeous, the hair too. But my issue with this brushes is that they shed too much hair.

I ask the seller about the issue, and his answer was genuine:

However, for the badger hair brush, it does not shed hair so much , hair shedding is normal for animal hair products, because it is natural hair, like human hair, which is protein products, so it is normal for hair shedding for 2 or 3 hairs

My Yaqi brushes could shed 6-8 hairs for shave. I don't have to much brushes to compare but recently acquired two artisan's brushes, and I can say that they rarely shed one hair. I have the same care with the Yaqi brushes that with the artisan ones.

I have three Yaqui brushes, the Moka two band, 24 silver tip and a 24 two band. The handles are gorgeous, the hair too. But my issue with this brushes is that they shed too much hair.

I ask the seller about the issue, and his answer was genuine:

However, for the badger hair brush, it does not shed hair so much , hair shedding is normal for animal hair products, because it is natural hair, like human hair, which is protein products, so it is normal for hair shedding for 2 or 3 hairs

My Yaqi brushes could shed 6-8 hairs for shave. I don't have to much brushes to compare but recently acquired two artisan's brushes, and I can say that they rarely shed one hair. I have the same care with the Yaqi brushes that with the artisan ones.

Shedding isn't an issue unless it starts losing chunks of hair. There could be more shedding initially but it should stop then you'll get an occasional hair here n there.

So far that's my experience w my horse n boars.

@barreno The seller has no clue how brushes work. Glued in bristles aren't a living thing that regenerates, like our hair and scalps.

Bristle falls off if it wasn't seated in the glue well, or at all. It's normal to have few hairs per shave fall off initially. These are the ones they didn't manage to comb off at the factory. If you have a brush for 6 months, you shaved 150 times and you still have bristles coming off per shave, that's a bad knot that's not glued properly. Eventually it will start coming off in chunks of hair.

It happens.

I love most of my Yaqi brushes but my Moka Synthetic brush seems to shed more than others. Most shed 1 or 2 during a shave but the Moka synthetic sheds 4-5 per shave. Given their quality, I don't think shedding is a big issue.

I love most of my Yaqi brushes but my Moka Synthetic brush seems to shed more than others. Most shed 1 or 2 during a shave but the Moka synthetic sheds 4-5 per shave. Given their quality, I don't think shedding is a big issue.

The Moka is one of the new models, so it should have only a small glue bump right? All my Yaqis are old models, be them synthetics or badgers. They have an approx 13mm glue bump. The synthetics never lose a hair. The one badger that i have been mainly using, has lost 1 in the first shave. With so much glue it's hard to shed. :001_302:

Hi BF,
I'm constantly reminded of this thread whenever I'm getting a brush.
Choosing your first shaving brush

If I had taken the advice given I am pretty sure I would have not bought the 49 or 10104 and gotten a 11126 and a 51 instead which I might be happier with.

I do think that a 24 badger is pretty big especially if it's a fan knot. Although, I have just gotten a couple of 24 yaqi badgers, I'm really going to stick to the advice and moving forwards only get knots that aren't too big. Badgers<= 22mm, boars <=24mm and for syns <=24 too.

If there is one exception it would be the Aqua high mountain Silvertip as I may want the feeling of a soft cloud when I shave with straights lol.

You'll be the first to know what I think about the 2 yaqi badgers I've gotten hopefully by tmr lol.

Top Bottom