What's new

Yankees

I do find it amusing that I see more Stars and Bars flags in Indiana and Illinois than I see in Fl.

Well, it may seem odd but Florida just is not The South. Somehow a lot of folks think that The South is reserved for the states north of Florida but south of Kentucky (pronounced Kintucky). Kind of like how Texas is not in The South in the eyes of many - Texas has its own thing going it seems. To me the South runs from Arkansas and Louisiana east to the Atlantic. So Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee (pronounced Tinessee), Georgia (Joe-Jahhh), South Carolina, North Carolina, and into Virginia.

Well, it may seem odd but Florida just is not The South. Somehow a lot of folks think that The South is reserved for the states north of Florida but south of Kentucky (pronounced Kintucky). Kind of like how Texas is not in The South in the eyes of many - Texas has its own thing going it seems. To me the South runs from Arkansas and Louisiana east to the Atlantic. So Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee (pronounced Tinessee), Georgia (Joe-Jahhh), South Carolina, North Carolina, and into Virginia.
Southeast Fl is New York/New Jersey south. Really, anything south of Jacksonville is on both the East and West coast.
The Panhandle is the South. Not that it matters much to me, as I'm Southern a long way back (and was born in MS). Even my ancestor who Signed the DoI was Southern.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Yes we do. Texas is the only state that was a republic before becoming a state. As a result, the Lone Star flag can be flown at the same level as the Stars & Stripes. During the Civil War, Texas did join the Confederacy, but it’s not considered part of the South.
Vermont was actually an independent republic from the American Revolution till 1791. And San Francisco & the Sonoma region were the California Republic for about 3 weeks in 1846. And of course Hawaii was a kingdom prior to the sugar and pineapple crowd moving in.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Southeast Fl is New York/New Jersey south. Really, anything south of Jacksonville is on both the East and West coast.
The Panhandle is the South. Not that it matters much to me, as I'm Southern a long way back (and was born in MS). Even my ancestor who Signed the DoI was Southern.

Exactly. With Florida, the north is Southern, the south is Northern, and its southernmost bit of North America is the northernmost bit of South/Central America.

AA

A Yankee is from the States if you are from abroad.

If you are from the States a Yankee is from the north.

If you are from the north a Yankee is from New England.

If you are from New England a Yankee is from Vermont.

If you are from Vermont a Yankee is from the Northeast Kingdom (northern most part of Vermont) who will tell you: "Each year we get nine months of winter and three months of mighty poor sledding." :biggrin1:

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

If you are from Vermont a Yankee is from the Northeast Kingdom (northern most part of Vermont) who will tell you: "Each year we get nine months of winter and three months of mighty poor sledding." :biggrin1:
Brother Cappy, you should waste more time here!

You are becoming a better writer every time you post!

I live in Jacksonville; can confirm this is mostly true. I'd say if you drew a line from St. Augustine across the state, anything north of that is the South. Also, I was born and raised in New Hampshire and Cap's comments are spot on. I'm one of those Damn Yankees your Mama warned you about!

FarmerTan

My mama is from the hills of "Kintucky", dad from DeeTroit. He called us kids "Half Breeds" when we was growing up, lol.

You know, back in the old days when a man could open his mouth and not automatically insult someone or something! Oops, hope I don't get cancelled! I'm working on a TV pilot. Fred Sanford and Archie Bunker in an old folks home. I'm gonna call it "Golden Boys".... True story doggone!

Anybody know the difference between a Yankee and a damn Yankee? I learned what it was after I moved to Mississippi from Vermont 8 years ago. (Hint: I only switched from one to the other after a few years here).

Anybody know the difference between a Yankee and a damn Yankee? I learned what it was after I moved to Mississippi from Vermont 8 years ago. (Hint: I only switched from one to the other after a few years here).
I believe I already covered that.

You made me go look up perjorative. Even Mr. Apple’s spell checker didn’t know it.

Yankee isn’t Perjorative. But Damn Yankee is.

Do you know the difference?

A Yankee is someone from up north that goes back home when their visit is over. A Damn Yankee stays.

If you are Mark Twain a Yankee is from Connecticut.

titlepage.jpg

Reactions: Avi

FarmerTan

Mark Twain was probably our first "Southern Yankee" in a way.

Missouri would have made him a Southerner to us Northerners, but he was a Yank to the English.

I live in Jacksonville; can confirm this is mostly true. I'd say if you drew a line from St. Augustine across the state, anything north of that is the South. Also, I was born and raised in New Hampshire and Cap's comments are spot on. I'm one of those Damn Yankees your Mama warned you about!

New Hampshire, where Massholes escape state taxes for ;)

Top Bottom