What's new

Ya like Dags? My foray into wet shaving and the honorable order of aquisition

Saturday, 10 March, 2018
Wholly Kaw King of Oud | Z-2 Gillette SuperSpeed Flare Tip | Gillette Super Stainless (1)
Currently on Shave #466 | Straight shaves still at #277

Today is the final day of the darker scented soaps, (oud, sandalwood, leather, etc…), and I pulled out the top of the heap and the current #2 ranked contender in the den, Wholly Kaw’s King of Oud. This is their donkey milk formulation, and it’s every bit as good as it was the first time around. Amazing lather, super dense, super slick, great residual slickness, phenomenal moisturizing, easy to lather…I could go on and on. I broke down the soap spreadsheet into another tab, just concentrating on the performance values and not anything subjective such as SoS, scent preference. There were a possible 55 points, with Declaration Grooming scoring a perfect 55, and this WK formulation scoring 53 points. For comparison’s sake, here are how other soap bases score:

Stirling, Soap Commander, Mike’s, Victory Shaving: 45
Chiseled Face, Saponificio Varesino (4.1 and 4.3): 47
PannaCrema Nuavia, Sudsy Soapery, Long Rifle (surprised here, thought LR would be higher): 48
Fine, Wholly Kaw Tallow: 49
Barrister & Mann Glissant, Lisa’s, WSP, MdC, Paladin, Eufros: 51

I have two other sheets; one that factors in scent preference and one that combines that as well as a value quotient...

Needless to say, it’s a great soap base, and the scent on this is absolutely stellar. Lisa’s Coconut Oud is a great oud scent, this takes it up a notch. For those who love oud scented stuff, this is another that is a must have for the den. Strength of scent out of the tub is a solid 3.5-4/5 and stays relatively the same through the lathering process. There is a depth to this scent that is hard to describe; it’s definitely not a one note soap. So, suffice to say, the lather was great. The blade today was the Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Stainless (green pack), and a return to the SuperSpeed. I very much liked this blade paired with this razor. It gave a great combination of efficiency and comfort. I was able to complete 3 passes with some clean up (almost a full 4th pass if I’m honest), and I’m at a true DSBBS (no G). It’s not a grail shave for the simple fact that I got a little zealous on the neck and overshaved a little. How do I know? Because the alum and aftershave lit me up on the neck. LOL. But it was absolutely quiet everywhere else on the face. Oh well…I’ll save the grail shave for another day I guess. I would put this blade/razor combination up there with my Astra/Fatboy and Personna Red/Aristocrat combos. The shave was topped off with some of the matching aftershave, some Paladin Unscented, and some Bond No 9 New York Oud. BAZINGA!
10 March 2018 SOTD.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

Excellent read Josh! Great shave and picture!

If you like "dark scents" have you tried the Le Père Lucien Oud - Santal soap?

Marvelous set up, Josh!

Thanks Chris!

Great read and shave

Thank you Don!

nice Shave Josh

Thank you Dave!

Nice shave Josh, and love the pic!

Thanks Eric...I'm still toying around with the photo editor.

Outstanding! nothing more to add that hasn't been said! :thumbup:

Thanks Rich!

Excellent read Josh! Great shave and picture!

If you like "dark scents" have you tried the Le Père Lucien Oud - Santal soap?

I haven't tried any LPL soaps yet...I'll get around to them, eventually. LOL

Monday, 12 March, 2018
WSP Barbershop | C.V. Heljestrand Mk*31
Currently on Shave #467 | Straight shaves still at #278

I had two set-ups that I had selected for this morning, and wasn’t sure which way I was going to go. After seven shaves with darker scented soaps, and before getting into fougere week, I wanted something bright and fresh. It came down to a soap that I will eventually be PIF’ing out and enjoy quite a bit (SWMBO is not a fan), or a soap that is just flat out awesome and clean smelling. I went with the latter, which was WSP’s Barbershop. When it comes to classic barbershop scents, for me it really boils down to this or Fine’s American Blend. They’re both so clean and fresh smelling, and both soaps are just top notch performers. Others, like Stirling and Mystic Water are just a bit too sweet to really remind me of that classic barbershop feel.

The Blackwolf synthetic whipped up a beautiful lather after I actually overloaded the brush. The resultant lather was typical Formula T WSP…slick, smooth, protective and a pleasure to use. The Mk*31 was nice and smooth, giving me a great 3-pass shave, resulting in a BBS. I debated only going 2 passes so that I would have a reason to shave tomorrow. But one look at the lather, and the fun I was having with it just begged for another pass. Topped off with the matching aftershave and some Sung Homme. There was a little burn from the alum and AS, but not too bad. Just what the Dr. ordered to start the day today.

The other set-up, incidentally, was Stirling Blu / Polo Blue EdP. HOTH just can’t stand it, so it will be getting PIF’d eventually, even if it is a favorite of mine.
12 March 2018 SOTD.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

Great read, shave, and picture Josh!

Another great barbershop scent is Maggard London Barbershop. If you haven't tried it.

Excellent shave and discussion of the Formula T Barbershop Josh. I have not used one single scent of soaps in my den from any commercial maker in over 6 months. I'm afraid to branch out as I might order a bunch more. Luckily the Formula T Barbershop is one that I have in my den, so no money will be spent on my part.

Happy Easter!

Top Bottom