What's new

Ya like Dags? My foray into wet shaving and the honorable order of aquisition

I always learn something from your shaves- keep up the good work! You have some fantastic product at your disposal!

I've had that vacuum seal happen before, usually with some of my smaller blades. Glad to hear you were able to get a good result, even if the road wasn't as smooth as you would have liked.

Thanks Jacob! I definitely wasn't expecting the vaccum, so when it happened it scared the bejesuz out of me. I always try and look at the positives. Doesn't do any good to cry over spilled milk/blood...

Great picture Josh. As I've read through today's journals, I have seen a number of discombobulated shaves, so you were not alone. I take my hat off to you for listening to music while you shave; I couldn't do it, I'd be hopping and moving around to the beat. :lol:

Thanks for the compliment Dan. It wasn't a particularly bee-bopping kind of day, but the music certainly fit my mood, that's for sure.

I always learn something from your shaves- keep up the good work! You have some fantastic product at your disposal!

Thanks! I have the option of getting good quality product while I'm out here, so I'm taking advantage of it. When I get home, SWMBO is most likely going to make me cull my stash. Glad you are learning something from this...even if it's what NOT to do! :lol:

After a couple of days where I was getting unstable lather, I went back to basics. The only new product I used was the cream, which was TOBS Coconut. I went back to the Dubl Duck, after some work on the pasted linen and strop. I had it tree-topping hair very well, so was looking forward to another good shave from it. Here's the set up today:

Prep: Hot shower, Lucky Tiger Face Scrub
Pre-shave: Hot towel, Baume.be Pre-shave Gel
Razor: Dubl Duck Goldedge 11/16"
Brush: Edwin Jagger Super Badger
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street Coconut Cream
Bowl: Classic Edge Scuttle in Creamware
Post Shave: Alum, cold towel, Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Castle Forbes Lime Aftershave Balm
Album of the Day: Jack Johnson - In between Dreams
Song of the Day: Banana Pancakes

View attachment 681780
This morning was SO much more relaxing than yesterday's mess of a routine. After getting the pre-shave gel on, I did 40-80 on the linen/strop and set that aside to build my lather. The lather came together nicely, with the only issue being it was a bit dry on the first pass. This is an easy fix, as all you have to do is add a touch of water to the tips of your brush, whip it into the lather in the bowl for 5 seconds and re-apply. I've found this is a normal part of using a scuttle, as the heat will disipate the lather if you don't periodically add water. The WTG pass went well until I was getting around the mouth on my left side. I neglected to tuck my bottom lip in, and the Duck was quick to remind me to pay attention. It wasn't too bad though, and I continued on. XTG went well, so I lathered up for the ATG. About halfway through, the duck started pulling a little bit, (I think this was more on my technique than anything else), but I was able to finish up without an incident, if you don't count re-opening the mole I cut yesterday. I ended up with a BBS on the face, DFS on the neck, which I'm very pleased with.

The music was pleasant this morning. Jack Johnson, if you haven't heard any of his music, is reminiscent of the laid back surfing culture of California and Hawaii, so the Cocunut and Lime scent profile's matched the tunes and kept it laid back and light hearted. I've now got the "song of the day" stuck in my head...For some reason I want Banana Pancakes now...

@Smattayu I know right?

So, like always, mail call was a little bit after I finished shaving. Today was a good day for mail. I had a couple of un-expected visitors show up today...

C.V. Heljestrand MK 31
View attachment 681858

Simpson Colonel X2L in Best
$s-l160014.jpg

I got real excited that I would get to possibly shave with the CVH tomorrow morning. But, it's not even close to being shave ready. I might have to figure a way to get my lapping film into use to get the CVH ready to use. I already ran it about 150x on the CrOx and about 200x on the strop, which showed marginal improvement, but not anywhere near where it should be. It will be a work in progress. The Simpson I think is going to be used tomorrow...though the original plan was to use the Excalibur Rustics Super, which is great for creams, but horrible for soaps due to the lack of backbone. If I do end up using the Simpson instead, I'm thinking about giving MWF another shot tomorrow...load it like you hate it.

Last edited:
Excellent!!

very nice mail call Josh! The CVH looks to be in amazing shape. :thumbup:

Well, well, well, if the disease hasn't spread 1/2 way around the world. Great news! :lol: You will have fun with that beauty, and be amazed at how well and how long it holds it's edge. I am interested so see how you compare it to some of your other nice blades. :thumbup:

Thanks everyone! I'll probably be a week or two, working it daily, before I can get it to where I'm comfortable shaving with it. It's in amazing shape and feels wonderfully nimble in the hands. Very excited to try it, when it's ready!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I recommend that you start with the nostril-hair cleansing. That's much easier than scooping out the ear hairs.

Josh,

Good result yesterday from a shave that did not feel all that great. Very nice shave today with that lovely Dbl Duck. To cap off the shave with that 2-fer mail call must have been nice - beautiful razor and brush combo. I will pull up the band from yesterday to listen to them if they are like STP.

Have a good evening!

Them Crooked Vultures:

Queen of the Stone Age's guitarist and vocalist Josh Homme
Nirvana/Foo Fighters plays drums
Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones plays bass
+ Alain Johannes on rhythm guitar and keyboards

Pretty good list of talent there....

Them Crooked Vultures:

Queen of the Stone Age's guitarist and vocalist Josh Homme
Nirvana/Foo Fighters plays drums
Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones plays bass
+ Alain Johannes on rhythm guitar and keyboards

Pretty good list of talent there....

I found them by happenstance on my last deployment while surfing Amazon. It was recommended as an album I might like. Listened to the sample clip they had and bought the album. It was a good recommendation by Amazon for once!

Wow I'm late again. Welcome to the gang! Just found you! Great shaves and progress! I saw earlier you were looking for Mega Menthol soaps and AS. I humbly suggest Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite soap and AS. About as frosty as I've experienced so far.

Wow I'm late again. Welcome to the gang! Just found you! Great shaves and progress! I saw earlier you were looking for Mega Menthol soaps and AS. I humbly suggest Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite soap and AS. About as frosty as I've experienced so far.

Thanks Rich! As for the search for a mega menthol, I think for the time being I'm settled on Arctic Wyrm from Dapper Dragon. Plenty of chill and a great post shave feel. I'll definitely try the Snake Bite soap and AS later on though!

Josh, great shave and that CVH looks gorgeous! I've been looking to get my hands on some Swedish steel, but so far have come up empty. Hope that you enjoy it once you get it ready, looking forward to hearing about it.

Top Bottom