What's new

XTG/ATG shaving when you have very coarse hair.

O.k, so I've read enough to know that I probably shouldn't do an XTG/ATG pass for a little while as I venture into the world of DE shaving.

However I have a query that needs to be addressed.

My hair is thick and extremely curly and coarse, so it takes some time to actually realize how long the strands are. Now, when I do a WTG pass there are still hairs that remain which are so tightly coiled to the skins surface that I really don't think the blade will even reach them.

Considering that these are the very same hairs that cause the damage of razor bumps and/or ingrown hairs, how am I supposed to rid of the problem without and ATG pass.

I have shaved ATG in the past (pre-DE era though) and it's only then that i really noticed much of a difference in the reduction of bumps. The issue is when the hair begins to grow again.

So what is my best option.

Would it be advised that I remain with the WTG bi-daily shave, or would it be safe to try maybe a single ATG pass on a daily basis?

Do you properly stretch your skin when you shave? If you stretch it out properly you should be able to get the hairs cut off at skin level without them being able to curl, because they should be forced to stand.

Nonetheless, I would probably just try an ATG pass. I started doing ATGs immediately and never looked back. You won't know til you try!

Do you properly stretch your skin when you shave? If you stretch it out properly you should be able to get the hairs cut off at skin level without them being able to curl, because they should be forced to stand.

Nonetheless, I would probably just try an ATG pass. I started doing ATGs immediately and never looked back. You won't know til you try!

No I don't stretch the skin. From what i've read and heard I always thought that stretching the skin was a no-no; because you're actually cutting the hair that sits beneath the surface, thus creating a more certain opportunity for those ugly things to surface. NO?

G

gone down south

You have to stretch your skin enough to create a smooth surface for cutting, while not stretching too much and allowing cut hairs to sneak down under the skin and cause ingrowns.

How much is too much? All together now..... YMMV! :)

You have to stretch your skin enough to create a smooth surface for cutting, while not stretching too much and allowing cut hairs to sneak down under the skin and cause ingrowns.

How much is too much? All together now..... YMMV! :)

I agree 100% stretch a little but not too much. I use to have a similar problem with extrafollicular ingrowns. Some of the hairs on my cheek are thick, course, and curly and of course they seem to naturally grow parrallel to the skin. My solution is to do a localized final pass ATG *** lightly *** on these problem areas. In addition to a ***light*** localized ATG, I check for extrafollicular ingrowns the night before and use tweezers to free the hairs. Typically, it's only a few stubborn hairs that do this. The worse thing you can do is apply pressure to the razor in order to get at those hairs.

- stretch a little (YMMV with this)
- use tweezers the night before to check for extrafollicular ingrowns
- do a ***light*** localized ATG on the final pass

Good luck and keep us posted

Edit: Did I mention that you should take it ***light*** on that ATG pass?

Last edited:
I agree 100% stretch a little but not too much. I use to have a similar problem with extrafollicular ingrowns. Some of the hairs on my cheek are thick, course, and curly and of course they seem to naturally grow parrallel to the skin. My solution is to do a localized final pass ATG *** lightly *** on these problem areas. In addition to a ***light*** localized ATG, I check for extrafollicular ingrowns the night before and use tweezers to free the hairs. Typically, it's only a few stubborn hairs that do this. The worse thing you can do is apply pressure to the razor in order to get at those hairs.

- stretch a little (YMMV with this)
- use tweezers the night before to check for extrafollicular ingrowns
- do a ***light*** localized ATG on the final pass

Good luck and keep us posted

Edit: Did I mention that you should take it ***light*** on that ATG pass?

when you say 'localized' do you mean that the ATG pass should only be done in the areas where hair is still distinctively present?

One question i've forgotten to ask, is ...

Did any of you move on to DE shaving whilst your bumps/ingrowns were still present?

I don't just mean one or two either, I mean a proper cluster all under the chin.

Cheers.

One question i've forgotten to ask, is ...

Did any of you move on to DE shaving whilst your bumps/ingrowns were still present?

I don't just mean one or two either, I mean a proper cluster all under the chin.

Cheers.

I did. Conventional wisdom says wait several weeks for your face to heal then start DE shaving. When I first started DE shaving and to this day whenever I have a **** poor shave and get razor bumps I wait 2-3 days without shaving and then shave the neck area with Wahl Balding clippers. For reasons I can't explain, the ingrowns and bumps are gone within the next couple of days. This is counterintuitive and probably goes against what most here would advise. However it works for me. (YMMV). Also, above when I mentioned localized ATG I was referring to my final ATG touchup where needed. For me it's typically on the cheeks only because the hair there is thick, course, and grows parrallel to the skin. ATG in this specific area helps me with this problem.

I did. Conventional wisdom says wait several weeks for your face to heal then start DE shaving. When I first started DE shaving and to this day whenever I have a **** poor shave and get razor bumps I wait 2-3 days without shaving and then shave the neck area with Wahl Balding clippers. For reasons I can't explain, the ingrowns and bumps are gone within the next couple of days. This is counterintuitive and probably goes against what most here would advise. However it works for me. (YMMV). Also, above when I mentioned localized ATG I was referring to my final ATG touchup where needed. For me it's typically on the cheeks only because the hair there is thick, course, and grows parrallel to the skin. ATG in this specific area helps me with this problem.

I know exactly what you mean with the clippers. My first method of shaving for years on end was to use an Andis Outliner. Then I started getting the odd bump. Add to that the constant need to trim only to be rewarded with a 5 o'clock shadow of a finish at best, I thought the blade would be the answer.

Since the blade, nothing but a full coat of bumps. It's hideous to tell the truth.

I'm thinking that maybe I ought to grin and bear the full grow out until the fully dissapear.

I know exactly what you mean with the clippers. My first method of shaving for years on end was to use an Andis Outliner. Then I started getting the odd bump. Add to that the constant need to trim only to be rewarded with a 5 o'clock shadow of a finish at best, I thought the blade would be the answer.
Since the blade, nothing but a full coat of bumps. It's hideous to tell the truth.

I'm thinking that maybe I ought to grin and bear the full grow out until the fully dissapear.

The blade was/is definitely the answer for me. It just took me a few months to perfect my technique to the point that I don't get ingrowns and bumps. The only time I get them now is when trying a new blade (most recently Derbys) that doesn't work for me....or when I do a poor job building lather. The clippers for me are like a quick reset button to get past the ingrowns and get going with the DE again. I'm sure things will improve with the blade. After a while, you will have it down pat and won't look back. Good luck and please keep us posted

Top Bottom