What's new

XM Satellite Radio

For someone such as myself who spends a great deal of time behind the wheel one of the greatest things to come out in the past few years is satellite radio.

FM just doesn't cut it when driving across the country. It would never fail that just about the time a really good song or interesting program would come on you would drive out of range of that station. Satellite radio fixed that problem.

There is such a variety of programming to choose from that one can stay entertained from Maine to LA. The stations that I listen to the most are the news channels, the classical music channels, the 1940s music channel (love the big band sound), Sonic Theater which does modern radio plays, and Old Time Radio which plays the radio shows from the 30s, 40s, and 50s when radio was in it's prime.

Now that XM has units that can be taken from the vehicle to the house as well as allowing one to listen online it has become an excellent all around radio alternative. (No, I don't work for XM :biggrin: )

Does anyone else here use satellite radio?

I have been using XM for almost two years and I really enjoy it, too. I especially enjoy the Major League Baseball channel, but I also love the variety of music and the relative absence of commercials.

In fact, I am starting to think about buying another car and one of the first requirements that pops into my mind is that it must have a built-in XM receiver.

Tim

The car I picked-up last September came with XM. I had no previous experience with satellite radio and I would have likely declined this if it was an option that I had to purchase separately. The radio came with a free 90-day trial period. Long before that trial expired I found myself hooked.

I also drive a fair bit (nothing like Mason), so having stations that never go out of range is very helpful. The opportunity to target the sort of music I feel like listening to at the moment is very nice. Finally, as an ex-pat Canadian living in the US, it is nice to get the CBC (in both English and French) so that I can get a little taste of what's going north of the border.

Over the year that I have had the car a number of passengers who do not have satellite radio have become quite interested and claim that their next cars will be ordered with this feature. Of course, as Mason points out, the latest radios actually allow you to take them out of the car and bring them inside! BTW, with an XM account you can also log-on to their web site and play the stations on your computer.

Cheers,

A side note to this post. Walmart has the XM radio "Roady" for $59 now. I think this was $99 just a few months ago. Super compact and looks to be well made.

Regards ,Todd

Phog Allen said:
A side note to this post. Walmart has the XM radio "Roady" for $59 now. I think this was $99 just a few months ago. Super compact and looks to be well made.

Regards ,Todd

I believe you are referring to the Roady XT. I had the Roady and then the Roady 2 and have been thinking of getting the XT but since I have the portable docking station for the Roady 2 and a bunch of other accesories I most likely won't change soon. I started off with Sirius almost four years ago and then made the switch to XM. I love it! I spend several hours a day in my car and it truly makes my day more enjoyable. Well that and my Verizon PCMICA card for my laptop that allows me to check the forums while sitting around.:thumbup:

I have sirius and love the hell out of it. It's makes you wonder how we could have lived before sat. radio!

Same as Danny, we got XM for 90 days on a car we purchased earlier in the year. We were hooked within a few weeks and have had it ever since.

the brand that i represent has the sirius brand of radio in some of their vehicles. It seems that people, who travel alot really love satelite radio.

I like sirius because i can get get wsm and the grand ole opry as clear as a bell....yee how !!!

mark tssb

OK, here's a dissenting opinion. My last new car came with an XM receiver built in and a three month trial. I cancelled it because when I'm in the car I either plug in my iPod (this car also has an auxiliary jack that lets me plug the iPod in directly) or to NPR in the mornings and afternoons. But I don't take long trips much; I mostly just commute.

I have had sirius radio for over a year. It came with my Jeep with a one year subscription. I just recently renewed by subscription. I spend alot of time in my Jeep.

I had XM a while ago, I had the Delphi Sky-Fi unit in my car and then I ended up cancelling XM and going to Sirius. I love every moment of Sirius.

I have Sirius also. I feel like the programming is better (e.g. they just started up an all-The Who channel.) Plus, I'm a Howard Stern fan, so that kind of colors my opinion.

ratcheer said:
I have been using XM for almost two years and I really enjoy it, too. I especially enjoy the Major League Baseball channel, but I also love the variety of music and the relative absence of commercials.

In fact, I am starting to think about buying another car and one of the first requirements that pops into my mind is that it must have a built-in XM receiver.

Tim
It does tend to spoil you for FM, doesn't it?

dszpiro said:
The car I picked-up last September came with XM. I had no previous experience with satellite radio and I would have likely declined this if it was an option that I had to purchase separately. The radio came with a free 90-day trial period. Long before that trial expired I found myself hooked.

I also drive a fair bit (nothing like Mason), so having stations that never go out of range is very helpful. The opportunity to target the sort of music I feel like listening to at the moment is very nice. Finally, as an ex-pat Canadian living in the US, it is nice to get the CBC (in both English and French) so that I can get a little taste of what's going north of the border.

Over the year that I have had the car a number of passengers who do not have satellite radio have become quite interested and claim that their next cars will be ordered with this feature. Of course, as Mason points out, the latest radios actually allow you to take them out of the car and bring them inside! BTW, with an XM account you can also log-on to their web site and play the stations on your computer.

Cheers,
I only drive about 125,000 miles a year.

I have a Roady XT and love the fact that it can be removed and used elsewhere. I also listen online when at home.

Phog Allen said:

Regards ,Todd
Yes, I paid $99 for my XT.

Quagmire said:
I have sirius and love the hell out of it. It's makes you wonder how we could have lived before sat. radio!
Yes, it does spoil you regardless of which service you use.

letterk said:
Same as Danny, we got XM for 90 days on a car we purchased earlier in the year. We were hooked within a few weeks and have had it ever since.
I think it's great they are coming as a factory option these days.

mark the shoeshine boy said:
the brand that i represent has the sirius brand of radio in some of their vehicles. It seems that people, who travel alot really love satelite radio.

I like sirius because i can get get wsm and the grand ole opry as clear as a bell....yee how !!!

mark tssb
Whether one uses Sirius or XM it's great.

peacefrog said:
OK, here's a dissenting opinion. My last new car came with an XM receiver built in and a three month trial. I cancelled it because when I'm in the car I either plug in my iPod (this car also has an auxiliary jack that lets me plug the iPod in directly) or to NPR in the mornings and afternoons. But I don't take long trips much; I mostly just commute.
That's the great thing about having choices. Everyone can have what best suits them. :thumbup1:

Austin said:
I have had sirius radio for over a year. It came with my Jeep with a one year subscription. I just recently renewed by subscription. I spend alot of time in my Jeep.
Great!

Top Bottom