What's new

Xform Arko Stick into a Puck

Arko works for me; but I really dislike the quarter-inch cylinders I cut from each stick and press into my mixing bowl. And placing several of them like a triad of Arko doesn't quite do it for me either. You know how large a puck you get when you buy Arko in a tin; or with many other shave soaps sold in pucks? Hold on, I'm getting there. Well, I thought I'd get a lot more soap on my brush if I had more of a substrate in my bowl. As Fagin (from Oliver Twist) said, "I likes me lather creamy; now go out and nick me a brush." Did he really say that? Uh, probably not.

"Hey! Just tell us what you did. It's not like we don't already know."
I take a new stick of Arko, let it sit in the sun for about 20 minutes, lay the stick on a hard surface, then take a piece of wood (I use a wooden coaster) and press down on the stick flattening it until it's a rectangle measuring about 2.25 inches wide. Next, cut it in half, remove all the wrapping, and place the freshly 'custom made' puck into me awaiting wooden bowl. Voila! The perfect puck of Arko. Once in the bowl I use my thumb to flatten the edges of the puck.

Thoughts after taking my evening meds (ET, is that you?)
A revelation? For me, yes. For others? The people will stipulate, maybe not so much. But now I have a mighty puck of Arko with more surface area than before that delivers a greater volume of shave soap and richer-by-comparison when compared with using stalagmite-like slices in my mixing bowl. That was a long sentence, sorry--my rationale in hindsight: it's late and I'm old.

Giving the moderator an easy out
Note to moderator: If this post is deemed useless, please delete and we won't tell anyone. But until you transform Arko into a puck, you'll never know the clarity of enlightenment, or perhaps simply the joy of a shave with a super-creamy Arko lather--I know it's one of them.

Arko works for me; but I really dislike the quarter-inch cylinders I cut from each stick and press into my mixing bowl. And placing several of them like a triad of Arko doesn't quite do it for me either. You know how large a puck you get when you buy Arko in a tin; or with many other shave soaps sold in pucks? Hold on, I'm getting there. Well, I thought I'd get a lot more soap on my brush if I had more of a substrate in my bowl. As Fagin (from Oliver Twist) said, "I likes me lather creamy; now go out and nick me a brush." Did he really say that? Uh, probably not.

"Hey! Just tell us what you did. It's not like we don't already know."
I take a new stick of Arko, let it sit in the sun for about 20 minutes, lay the stick on a hard surface, then take a piece of wood (I use a wooden coaster) and press down on the stick flattening it until it's a rectangle measuring about 2.25 inches wide. Next, cut it in half, remove all the wrapping, and place the freshly 'custom made' puck into me awaiting wooden bowl. Voila! The perfect puck of Arko. Once in the bowl I use my thumb to flatten the edges of the puck.

Thoughts after taking my evening meds (ET, is that you?)
A revelation? For me, yes. For others? The people will stipulate, maybe not so much. But now I have a mighty puck of Arko with more surface area than before that delivers a greater volume of shave soap and richer-by-comparison when compared with using stalagmite-like slices in my mixing bowl. That was a long sentence, sorry--my rationale in hindsight: it's late and I'm old.

Giving the moderator an easy out
Note to moderator: If this post is deemed useless, please delete and we won't tell anyone. But until you transform Arko into a puck, you'll never know the clarity of enlightenment, or perhaps simply the joy of a shave with a super-creamy Arko lather--I know it's one of them.
I have about 8 Arko sticks and I have taken one and made it into a puck, just as u have. It's stays in this lovely wooden bowl I have.
I use it every now and then and yes I'm able to load more soap onto the brush.

But what I do in most cases is just use my stick. Apply it on the areas I want to shave and with a brush, face lather ... what most people do, I assume. With this method, I feel there's no need for pre shave. I personally prefer using the Arko stick this way.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

IMG_1294.jpg
IMG_1295.jpg
IMG_1302.jpg

I used a cheese slicer several years ago to make half inch cuts and placed them in an empty Mike's tin. After several loadings they joined together.

I like Arko but don't use it much as AOS tallow is my everyday use.

Here's my Arko mashed into an empty hair paste container.

Attachments

• 7EC9A7CB-BD95-4697-8EFB-B24170014002.jpeg
    7EC9A7CB-BD95-4697-8EFB-B24170014002.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I use an old cheese grater and grate the Arko Stick into a Tupperware style container. I then add a few drops of water and press it down into a puck shape form. Works for me and it grates in no time. I usually grate 2 sticks at once it the puck lasts for ages and ages.

Interesting to see what others do with their Arko. Thanks, guys. At my age I have to heat the sticks to make them sufficiently malleable for molding. I used to flatten them using the palm of one hand; but I found using a firm, flat piece of wood works pretty good for me. I like Arko tins, but I need a bowl for loading my brush. I'm not the neatest brush loader.

Mark1977: I like the idea of applying Arko live a preshave. This is a great to for me. I haven't had success by rubbing the sick on my face and lathering. But using it as a preshave followed by bowl lathering would be good for me. Thanks, Mark.

I use an old cheese grater and grate the Arko Stick into a Tupperware style container. I then add a few drops of water and press it down into a puck shape form. Works for me and it grates in no time. I usually grate 2 sticks at once it the puck lasts for ages and ages.

I used to grate my Arko, but I found there was too much soap left on the grater. I wondered if I was removing some of the soap's makeup. It may have been that I was picking up the strong scent of Arko on the grater. Flattening it and using half a stick as a puck seems to work out for me. Each of us has their preferred method for preparing our shaving gear; we do enjoy the prep leading up to shaving that guy in the mirror.

I don't know why you guys cut and grate Arko. It is like play dough, just use your fingers. At least what I did when I got myself a stick

I used to shave a stick and press Arko into my bowl, but now I find that I can just press a warm stick into my bowl, I find no need to cut it up or shave it anymore. I can just make a great lather right on the puck.

I like variety in my shaving routine. I just keep a little pocket knife in my medicine cabinet and shave off a little almond sized piece of arko, tabac, or la toja when I'm using hard soap. Smash it my copper bowl, lather up and clean it out when I'm done.

Top Bottom