What's new

x39, I can understand. x54r?

Armor has gotten significantly better, especially the last 18 years. Helmets these days now use pads on the inside, much like a football helmet so they soak up and attenuate much more blunt force than the old headband styled systems as well as being way less painful and fatiguing to wear. They’ve also gotten lighter the last couple iterations from the K Pot.

That looks like a pretty flat shot into the helmet, and I’m impressed that he wasn’t knocked slap out by the impact, at least.

I never liked wearing my Kevlar but they sure are better than the old metal pots they had when I first joined. Glad mine didn't get anything but scratches from being out in the desert.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I shot a lot of Combloc (Polish, Russian, Finnish) 7.62x54r like 10-15 years ago; the stuff was $39 for a tin of 440 rounds (as I think I recall). Corrosive of course, but I always kept a Mosin oiler bottle, one half with Ballistol, the other half with water / windex. Just wipe your bore before you go home, never a problem. Anyways.

The "heavy ball" x54r with the yellow tip was great ammo, but it kicked like a mule - make that a bear.

Can't even imagine being on the receiving end. Even with full body armor.

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I used to shoot some 7.92x54 when I needed more range or accuracy than I got from my Dirty Thirties.But the 30-30s certainly were easier to tote around than the old Mauser.

The "heavy ball" x54r with the yellow tip was great ammo, but it kicked like a mule - make that a bear.

AA

Shoots pretty well if you can stand up behind it. I shot some through a M44 once....never again. I don't even shoot it through my M91/30 anymore. I use it only in my Finnish rebuilt M39. Heavier, plus a wider butt plate.

Shoots pretty well if you can stand up behind it. I shot some through a M44 once....never again. I don't even shoot it through my M91/30 anymore. I use it only in my Finnish rebuilt M39. Heavier, plus a wider butt plate.
I had an M44 as well. At one point I squirreled away around 1500 rds of 54r ammo. It does kick, 5-10 rounds at the range was enough. Sold all of it and rifle for a nice profit when I moved. Didn't feel like packing that much dead weight across the country. Same guy bought all my 8mm and Mauser rifle too.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A Mosin-Nagant is always worth having around, IMHO ... they don't get any tougher - or much cheaper!

"Canoe gun." If it goes overboard ... ah.

AA

Jay-sus. Lucky bastard. Hard to believe any soldier would be against wearing their helmet - I'm guessing that will inspire quite a few to keep their helmets on.

Yeah, I gotta say, that doesn't make much sense. A lot of that 54r was made with steel cores. I would think it'd go through that helmet no problem. It's basically a .308 round. Im sure his head bounced around a bit lol.

Top Bottom