What's new

X-Razor Shavette

3560BE0F-049D-4595-AC72-BD074462CD50.jpeg
DE-blade shavettes are often thought of as the poor relations of the straight razor family but if you’ve used one you’ll know that they can deliver a superb shave.
You have to be at the top of your game technique wise or they will punish you severely but they reward good technique with some amazing results.
There are also some very classy models available like the Focus Slim, IBC and the Universal (which is an ergonomic masterpiece!)

The X-Razor comes from Italy and is a 60g all metal construction which sure looks good and I was attracted to it at first simply by its aesthetics.
It arrived here in Devon yesterday and I was excited to try it.
F3B6CC31-55C7-4F94-909F-F88838555470.jpeg

Italy is the home of good shavettes where the Vanta, Focus Slim and Universal all come from and the X-Razor not only ships from Italy but also proudly says “Made In Italy” on it.
However the supplier quickly sent me a link to a Pakistani instrument maker if I wanted to buy in bulk so the true origins of this razor are obscure.
The nominal manufacturer is a company called Kingmetalpro but their website is currently down so perhaps more information will emerge there.
The QC was pretty good - there are a few irregularities in the black coating on mine but I paid <£10 for this so I’m happy.
It also comes with a good quality carry pouch which looks a lot like the Sanguine/Coolcut razor pouches.
EE487F20-8C4A-4431-B466-B544E5208BEC.jpeg

So down to business - this is NOT a beginner’s razor!
There’s a lot of blade exposure, blade flex and the blade corners are unprotected too which all means that if your technique is subpar then the X-Razor will hurt you badly.

In fact there’s so much blade exposure that I initially thought this was just a bad and careless design - until I shaved with it and discovered that actually this is an extremely manouverable razor which gives a superb shave.
It’s designed for barbers use so I guess all that extra blade exposure is actually deliberate right?
This razor is also perfectly balanced and feels great in the hand.
The shape of the tang combined with the long monkey tail give the X-Razor a very good grip.

So use the required high level of concentration and technique and the X-Razor turns out to be a very powerful and precise shaving instrument indeed.
I like fierce razors and this is now a new favourite!

Great review!

I’ve certainly not seen that design anywhere else yet as a generic brand, so either it’s just coming out or it is indeed a single brand production.

Quite a bit of exposure in the first photo, yikes!

Thank you mjclark for the review: like you I appreciate shavettes with a lot of blade exposure, so it is highly appreciated :001_smile

Second shave with the X-Razor and I’m beginning to appreciate how well designed it is.
The exposed blade corners don’t present any problem and allow for very because of the shape of the razor head.
This makes possible very fine trimming under the nostrils etc and combined with the extra blade extension this makes a really focussed pro-level shaving tool.
As described in the OP this is a very precise instrument.
So the X-Razor definitely demands a mindful attitude and the end result is excellent.
Razors like this make shaving so much fun!
62BCF30A-9DF1-4A47-B308-0A1180F6D02D.jpeg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
It's a very industrial looking piece of kit. I too think shavettes are a little underrated, I really like my Dovo, and it's good to hear there's yet another good performer out there.

Came back to the X-Razor this morning after a week of straights.

This is such a great shavette.
Looking at it again I wondered if the exposed blade corners would be a hazard but somehow the head design prevents that - the protruding notch at the end of the head not only acts as a catch to lift the head out of the scales but also stops you from making an angle to the face where the corner could dig in. Clever!
CB9927D7-CE86-4898-9113-4658A78DC6BE.jpeg

Towel stropping the blade before and after every shave and palm stropping just before the shave means this half-Bolzano is still going very strong on shave #6.
The ability to strop the blade in a shavette really does seem to extend blade life considerably.

Top Bottom