What's new

Wyoming Bear Attack - Empty Chamber, Glock 20

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have nothing but sadness for a loss that should have been avoided.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Processing a downed animal that was downed the night before? It seems to me, a bear or bear's, could/should have been expected? Where was the shotgun with slugs?

We had an incident in AZ that mirrors what can happen under pressure. An individual had by his nightstand a pistol that had two safeties. Two individuals entered his house in the early a.m. When he realized the intruders entered the house he pulled out his pistol from the nightstand. When they entered his bedroom he aimed and pulled the trigger. Unfortunately, in his panic he did not release the hammer safety. He ended up in the hospital with stab wounds and a missing pistol. When he was interviewed he said he had used the pistol on the range but in a real-life situation he forgot about the twin safeties.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
You simply can not practice enough. Pratcice the draw, pratice reloading, pratice dry firing, pratice with live ammo, pratice pratice pratice. The situations in which you should familiarize yourself with are unlimited. You do not ever know beforehand when you will need to draw your weapon.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
In 32 years carrying a pistol I have ALWAYS carried a round chambered and if the weapon had a safety it was always disengaged.
After all these years and the muscle memory training and practicing has entailed I would be just like a person who has never used a handgun if in an instant draw and shoot situation and the weapon I had did not have a round in the chamber or the safety was engaged.
No way I would remember to chamber and/or disengage the safety.
MP5? Safety on? No problem

I still know folks who think that carrying with a round in the chamber is unsafe. It is actually safer to have a round chambered. It's one less thing you have to remember to do when things go wrong. Usually, those who think it is unsafe don't practice as often as they need to. My primary carry is a 1911. I practice drawing it from the holster and sweeping off the safety during the draw. I want everything I need to do in a self-defense situation to be muscle memory.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Remember what the (apocryphal) Russian said about the Mosin-Nagant's "safety" ...

"Is gun. Is not safe."

All guns are always loaded anyways, eh.

AA

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Great endorsement for revolvers.
A far better endorsement for proper training & then additional training after that. Though I have a S&W 500 (4”), I feel far, far more comfortable carrying a Glock 20 & 16 rounds of hardcast when backcountry fly fishing up in NW Wyoming.

B3E73ABA-423B-42A2-998E-0ED215BE6170.jpeg

I agree it’s all about what makes one comfortable. I live in bear country. Were it a perfect world, I’d wander the hills with my BAR .300 Win Mag. But, that’s not really practical.
My go to ordnance is my S&W .44 Magnum with two speed loaders. It will get me out of any bad situation I can readily think of.

That's why I like Sigs, no safety. All I have to remember in a high stress situation is to draw, aim, and squeeze.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
When the heck did they start adding VigLinks to the posts?

Not only is that distracting...it's annoying.

Click bait?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
A far better endorsement for proper training & then additional training after that. Though I have a S&W 500 (4”), I feel far, far more comfortable carrying a Glock 20 & 16 rounds of hardcast when backcountry fly fishing up in NW Wyoming.

This is what I'm thinking also. I Do Not Want To Reload If A Grizzly Is Bearing Down On Me. Worse case scenario. 6 shots on his way to me, 6 shots just before he gets to me and 2 shots left to shove down his throat if he begins eating me.

Speaking from a lack of experience of course... :)

Not knowing beans about pistols or revolvers, I had to look up the Glock 20. Was impressed by what I found. This will be a stupid comment from someone who doesn't know beans, but looking at a photo shows the magazine release well behind, but near the trigger. If someone didn't know that you just pull the trigger, they may have pushed the magazine release thinking it was a safety. If there wasn't a round in the chamber, he may have pushed the release thinking it was a safety, dropping the magazine. But wouldn't that have dropped the magazine where he stood?

I still know folks who think that carrying with a round in the chamber is unsafe. It is actually safer to have a round chambered. It's one less thing you have to remember to do when things go wrong. Usually, those who think it is unsafe don't practice as often as they need to. My primary carry is a 1911. I practice drawing it from the holster and sweeping off the safety during the draw. I want everything I need to do in a self-defense situation to be muscle memory.

FWIW, when I was a teen, a friend working at a restaurant got shot in the leg when a customer dropped something, bent over to pick it up, and his firearm dropped out of his pocket. This was in the 1970s, in a low income area, so it probably wasn't the latest and greatest firearm.

Top Bottom