What's new

WW2 Boot camp, bring from home

I was searching for something else awhile back. One the results was an article about what to bring from home for WW2 boot camp. The article gave your allowance amount. By bringing your own comb, save a dime, your own razor, save $2. So by bringing your own stuff you could save your allowance, which would follow you during your service. Then went on to say that you would get $X a month. This would give you extra money to buy extra socks, shirts etc....
I wish I had bookmarked it!!
Anyone know the site?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Watch the documentaries you can find on Youtube, of all military branches of service, in regards to boot camp life. And what do they all have in common at orientation? They are forcing everybody to get rid of all their junk. I got the sense real quick, the military doesn't want you bringing anything to boot camp. They confiscate everything that isn't on a super short list of allowables. And if you can't follow directions at orientation, well, they got your eye on you for the rest of boot camp training, so you better not give them any reason lol.

I was searching for something else awhile back. One the results was an article about what to bring from home for WW2 boot camp. The article gave your allowance amount. By bringing your own comb, save a dime, your own razor, save $2. So by bringing your own stuff you could save your allowance, which would follow you during your service. Then went on to say that you would get $X a month. This would give you extra money to buy extra socks, shirts etc....
I wish I had bookmarked it!!
Anyone know the site?
This is useful State of Oregon: World War II - Sending Them Off to War: Pre-Induction Information Programs - https://sos.oregon.gov/archives/exhibits/ww2/Pages/services-induction.aspx particularly the PDF's at the end. Also this short report from the QMS on what you will be issued World War II Inductee Clothing Issue - Army Quartermaster Foundation, Inc. - https://www.quartermasterfoundation.org/world-war-ii-inductee-clothing-issue/

Seems like you got a complete issue, including a razor, most likely one of the WW2 Techs, and 5 blades in a tuck. They may have issued non Gillette razors, like Schick or GEM types systems too. War service kits of these exist.

They told inductees to bring a few things if there were supply foul ups, so I suppose razors that were unneeded after being issued GI razors were shipped home.

"After getting affairs in order and saying goodbyes, draftees were sent for 3-5 days at a reception center. Men were cautioned not to "celebrate on the night before you have to leave for the Reception Center" since they would be given a battery of tests and "you'll want to be on your toes." They were also told to travel light: "Don't pack a trunk. Take along a small overnight bag with razor, toothbrush, change of underwear, extra handkerchiefs.""

There doesn't seem to be a system of getting allowances recouped by bringing your own gear. Everything was provided for, all clothes, food even cigarettes. I think it was a pack a day. 20 pack Cartons could be bought at the PX.

"The pay was small but, according to pre-induction meetings, it was decent compensation if all the benefits were calculated. Buck privates and apprentice seamen earned a paltry $50 a month. The highest noncommissioned officers, master sergeants in the Army and chief petty officers in the Navy, earned $138 a month. But Office of War Information officials said people should include room, board, and other benefits in the equation "to show what a private or apprentice seaman really gets" per year: Cash - $600; Food - $576.50; Shelter - $120; Equipment - $170; Health care - $100; Life insurance savings - $63.40; Cigarettes savings - $10.95; Laundry savings - $32.50; Postage and barber savings - $26.65. The optimistic total rose to $1,700 per year.Footnote16 "

This may give you more of a flavour. I love the historical dimension of stuff.

Last edited:
I can comment on Marine Corps Boot Camp from early 1966. Almost anything brought with you was sent home the first few hours of our arrival. Wallets were ok after they were inspected along with wedding rings and possibly religious medals. Every thing else went home. All toiletries were issued and charged against our first months pay. BTY an E-1 private’s pay was $89 per month.

The good old days!

I can comment on Marine Corps Boot Camp from early 1966. Almost anything brought with you was sent home the first few hours of our arrival. Wallets were ok after they were inspected along with wedding rings and possibly religious medals. Every thing else went home. All toiletries were issued and charged against our first months pay. BTY an E-1 private’s pay was $89 per month.

The good old days!
That's interesting @Cannon Cocker

Did they issue you with a Tech and blades? They seem to have been on issue up to the 70's at least, and I've seen blades in 100 boxes with an NSN No. from the late 60's early 70's.

Something like this
Vintage Gillette Spiral TECH Double Edge Safety Razor W-4 1976 Military England - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394331854750?hash=item5bd002979e:g:LyAAAOSwPfNixGmZ&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAABIAlF5DiUXJKdkNrmQ9hraKMywuNlSpWBdClGvMYpRLkgshCMKUXqYMA7qdUGZa4%2FWF2hpEH1ajxC7EgKm%2FSWBrbh0kZNGT7EgdGkSd7iL6%2F117%2F1jgCce70ueliDU37bxNsFCFtwCggZFc0%2BCrcsJqM%2Bg9BFwfX9kf%2BazxkE%2F7oAFckie6DgDhqQ8qbuXGK6SwMn5KJNzk7za4TLoK1v%2BrkMGHjWtzbpZJXpHPBi4Nh39Be%2BGVJm6dLQldn%2BBAnsxh9Xe7hNDBHbU5njultOXzSAp2oTedKLjx5wWnAizLOQb8yd8DLsMejo9Q1UfyV%2B%2BaAxx9SALeAm1G7ifAa%2B8jnS5EzaijebMv6ULZuJNaQECc7SsIFdnTCCPqonwVkFzg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBM7ovs7KFh

Looks to be 70's but the stock codes look similar to what you may have got issued to you in the 60's.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

The good old days!
Inflation is real!
This is useful State of Oregon: World War II - Sending Them Off to War: Pre-Induction Information Programs - https://sos.oregon.gov/archives/exhibits/ww2/Pages/services-induction.aspx particularly the PDF's at the end. Also this short report from the QMS on what you will be issued World War II Inductee Clothing Issue - Army Quartermaster Foundation, Inc. - https://www.quartermasterfoundation.org/world-war-ii-inductee-clothing-issue/

Seems like you got a complete issue, including a razor, most likely one of the WW2 Techs, and 5 blades in a tuck. They may have issued non Gillette razors, like Schick or GEM types systems too. War service kits of these exist.

They told inductees to bring a few things if there were supply foul ups, so I suppose razors that were unneeded after being issued GI razors were shipped home.

"After getting affairs in order and saying goodbyes, draftees were sent for 3-5 days at a reception center. Men were cautioned not to "celebrate on the night before you have to leave for the Reception Center" since they would be given a battery of tests and "you'll want to be on your toes." They were also told to travel light: "Don't pack a trunk. Take along a small overnight bag with razor, toothbrush, change of underwear, extra handkerchiefs.""

There doesn't seem to be a system of getting allowances recouped by bringing your own gear. Everything was provided for, all clothes, food even cigarettes. I think it was a pack a day. 20 pack Cartons could be bought at the PX.

"The pay was small but, according to pre-induction meetings, it was decent compensation if all the benefits were calculated. Buck privates and apprentice seamen earned a paltry $50 a month. The highest noncommissioned officers, master sergeants in the Army and chief petty officers in the Navy, earned $138 a month. But Office of War Information officials said people should include room, board, and other benefits in the equation "to show what a private or apprentice seaman really gets" per year: Cash - $600; Food - $576.50; Shelter - $120; Equipment - $170; Health care - $100; Life insurance savings - $63.40; Cigarettes savings - $10.95; Laundry savings - $32.50; Postage and barber savings - $26.65. The optimistic total rose to $1,700 per year.Footnote16 "

This may give you more of a flavour. I love the historical dimension of stuff.
Lots of good info here! Thanks my friend! And thank you @bakerc7 for an excellent thread!

It was a TTO Gillette razor in a plastic container box with Gillette blue blades. I don’t remember the razor model, but I sure remember the blades…ouch.

Top Bottom