What's new

Wusthof vs Made In vs Victorinox vs…

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I’m probably going to make a buying decision later today. Ive gotten by for many years with a set of Cutco knives and they have been far above average (if average is the stuff from Walmart or Target) and very serviceable. Had the serrated ones resharpened once and really can’t complain about them.

Now I need a carving knife, about 9 inches. I’m at a stage in my life where I’m not interested in cheap/chintzy stuff. I recently bought a Made In santoku knife and am pleased so far. So I’m trying to decide if I want another Made In knife with a handle that won’t match the one I already have or perhaps a Wusthof, or maybe even a Victorinox Grand Maître carving set.

It should not be made in China, as I don’t trust the quality and materials. I don’t care if it’s German, French, Swiss or USA. It just needs to be able to handily carve a turkey or large roast and last a lifetime.

So please share your experiences. Thanks.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I’m probably going to make a buying decision later today.

Now I need a carving knife, about 9 inches. I’m at a stage in my life where I’m not interested in cheap/chintzy stuff.

I'd say don't make a rush decision today ... wait and find out what you really want after you hear what we all have to say. I'd say look into potentially getting a Japanese slicing knife ...

proxy.php

... which can come with "western" handles and double-sided blade (or traditional handle and single-sided blade if you prefer.)

I have a 9" Hencles carving knife i purchased for my wife last Christmas. It has been excellent and is the first quality knife we have owned. When researching knives, I read that it is similar in quality to the Wusthof knives. If true, you will likely be very happy with what Wusthof offers.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I'd say don't make a rush decision today ... wait and find out what you really want after you hear what we all have to say. I'd say look into potentially getting a Japanese slicing knife ...

proxy.php

... which can come with "western" handles and double-sided blade (or traditional handle and single-sided blade if you prefer.)
This! A Tojiro Yanagiba at Chefs Knives to Go is $63. You will be astounded by its ability to make thin, perfect slices.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
OK, you guys have my attention. Japanese knives are not out of the question. My current leaning is this.
Wusthof carving knife and Wusthof Culinar carving fork.

But I also like this Victorinox set.

Or I could get the Wusthof fork and the Made In carving knife, even though it has a wooden handle and won’t match the red handled santoku knife.

So what I’m saying is, I won’t make a decision tonight. Give me more to think about.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

proxy.php

So which specific Japanese knife do you prefer?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I have one of these and am delighted with it. Had it about 2 years now. Price is right, too. Great feel in the hand. German steel. Not sure if a slicer is what you mean by a carving knife, though. May not be what you are looking for.

proxy.php

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have one of these and am delighted with it. Had it about 2 years now. Price is right, too. Great feel in the hand. German steel. Not sure if a slicer is what you mean by a carving knife, though. May not be what you are looking for.

proxy.php
Is that made or n China?

Legion

Staff member
Do you want carbon or stainless steel?

FWIW, I own one Chinese knife, and the quality is great. The Chinese are quite capable of making good stuff, and do. But it costs a bit extra to do so, so that is generally not what people are interested in importing. But it is out there, if you look.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Price range (max)?
Your sharpening ability/level?
Sharpening equipment you’ll be using?
Max price $200ish
my sharpening ability is probably above average and yet the most likely tool that I will use is an oval diamond sharpening steel that I bought from a restaurant supplier years ago. I’m open to getting better equipment if necessary. I have not set a budget for sharpening equipment, which of course would be shared by all of my cutlery, not just the new knife.

Both Wusthof and Victorinox make very good knives, and will serve well I'm sure, as would a good Japanese sujihiki. I'd be wary about the particular Wusthof you've linked to though; if you want something that'll last a lifetime - the 'scalloping' on the blade will get to the edge at some point, and the knife will become basically serrated.

It's also worth considering how you intend to keep it sharp. If you're intending to use a traditional honing rod or steel at all - I would go for a western knife rather than Japanese as the steel will likely be softer.

(Just seen you last post about the sharpening rod, and I'd err toward a western knife in that case. You could get a Japanese one, but a softer steel will be more robust.)

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Do you want carbon or stainless steel?

FWIW, I own one Chinese knife, and the quality is great. The Chinese are quite capable of making good stuff, and do. But it costs a bit extra to do so, so that is generally not what people are interested in importing. But it is out there, if you look.
I understand.

There are other reasons why I don’t want a Chinese made product, besides what I have already shared. I think most of the world has put too many eggs in one manufacturing basket. I work in the supply chain and have also previously managed a small machine shop, and sold steel, so I have first hand experience with the negative impact that much of the free world is seeing from relying too heavily on one nation to supply our manufactured goods. I don’t want to derail an otherwise good topic by getting on a sidetrack, so I’ll leave it at that.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Both Wusthof and Victorinox make very good knives, and will serve well I'm sure, as would a good Japanese sujihiki. I'd be wary about the particular Wusthof you've linked to though; if you want something that'll last a lifetime - the 'scalloping' on the blade will get to the edge at some point, and the knife will become basically serrated.

It's also worth considering how you intend to keep it sharp. If you're intending to use a traditional honing rod or steel at all - I would go for a western knife rather than Japanese as the steel will likely be softer.
I’m not totally sold on the scallops yet. I like that feature on my santoku knife, which is far more likely to benefit from it due to cutting and chopping things that might be more sticky. Carving meat seems to me that a feature like that may not be necessary. So I would be ok with a smooth version of essentially the same knife or same style knife.

Legion

Staff member
I understand.

There are other reasons why I don’t want a Chinese made product, besides what I have already shared. I think most of the world has put too many eggs in one manufacturing basket. I work in the supply chain and have also previously managed a small machine shop, and sold steel, so I have first hand experience with the negative impact that much of the free world is seeing from relying too heavily on one nation to supply our manufactured goods. I don’t want to derail an otherwise good topic by getting on a sidetrack, so I’ll leave it at that.
Fair enough.

My go to at the moment is a vintage carbon French Sabatier chef knife. You can still buy them new, in both carbon or stainless, made in Theirs, and under your budget.

I wouldn’t wear it out on a diamond steel though. Hit an antique store and buy a vintage regular steel, they are easy to find, then buy something else to hone with. (The Spyderco sharpmaker works well with that style of knife)

There is BTW someone selling some pretty swish old carving sets on KKF atm, and happily within budget...

Top Bottom