What's new

Wusthof vs Made In vs Victorinox vs…

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Update: Passed by a brick & mortar chef supply store…
4DF28692-FC72-4471-A7A8-19AA524F9246.jpeg

I still don’t have the slicing knife that I had originally set out to get. But I got a nice Wusthof boning knife and utility knife. Plus a magnetic holder and a cheese knife for Mrs. OldSaw so she doesn’t cut the tip of her finger off again.

They only had the classic line and I didn’t want to get a slicer in that model, so I’m not done shopping yet, but close.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
That turkey doesn’t stand a chance.
F932BF0B-7032-4103-85A0-660E6E013A1F.jpeg

The back up plan is in place. With the new Wusthof Classic boning knife and utility knife, that I picked up at the chef store today, added to the Cutco slicer I think the turkey carving will be ok (I put the santoku knife in the shot because I like the red colored handle).

So while I have this to tide me over, I’ll be processing all the previous input in this thread and probably agonizing over my carving knife decision. Clearly I did not allow enough room for things like a more advanced sharpening system. In fact, I may completely refocus on sharpening and not get any more knives until I get that dialed in.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I‘ve been keeping an eye out for specialty cooking supply stores lately so I can get my hands on a few items before buying. I finally spotted one in Minocqua, Wisconsin today and called to see if they had Wusthof knives, she said they did. I was able to park my semi truck about a half block away, which was nice.

I was slightly disappointed that she only carried the Classic line of Wusthof knives and none of the Ikon series. I picked out a few to look at and quickly settled on the boning knife and utility knife. I didn’t have hours to shop, but took a fast look around. I snagged a couple of natural bristle pot scrubbers, some knife guards, a cutting board, and a plastic cheese knife for my wife.

By this time I was already a few hundred dollars deep and asked for recommendations on whatever she was pushing today. I mean, I was practically begging to spend more money and she couldn’t offer me much more than what I already selected. I was mostly focused on thanksgiving and only adding to what I already have, so I wasn’t interested in a Lodge porcelain cast iron Dutch oven. However, I could have easily been talked into buying a few more impulse purchases of $20 or so. But that’s okay, I said I would stop in again with my wife and let her pick a few things.

I did think that this was pretty cute though and couldn’t resist.
276AE68F-D6F2-439B-ABF5-9FC20E8A4CC3.jpeg

Western and Japanese knifes are sharpened at different angles. Some sharpening equipment is specific to the angle. Japanese are smaller angle. Fine cooking stores sometimes have classes and will give you a discount after taking a knife skills class. Some fine cooking stores will let you demo a knife in the store - if you just ask. I rarely use a slicer. A Golbal G-5 vegetable knife gets the most use in my house. I am astonished at how much use a Global bread knife gets at my house. Global may now be made in China. I think mine are made in Japan. I got a great deal on a Global set and like them a lot. It also helps to make a decision on how you are going to store your knifes. Nearly all the knifes at thrift stores are crap. If you know what to look for you might find some stuff that just needs to be sharpened. Western knife sharpening stuff often seems to end up in thrift stores because people don’t know how to use it. Is the picture of a Cutco bread knife? I don’t get how that can work well. I would use the Santoku for the turkey this year and try to figure out what you like. I could also see a Wusthof chef’s knife in your future which is has greater use than a slicer. The place I see a slicer used the most is a sushi shop. Enjoy your search and find a better cookware store. Henkel sells knifes made in China, (I think Brazil), Spain and Germany. If you know what to look for you can tell them apart without looking at the blade which is labeled.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Western and Japanese knifes are sharpened at different angles. Some sharpening equipment is specific to the angle. Japanese are smaller angle. Fine cooking stores sometimes have classes and will give you a discount after taking a knife skills class. Some fine cooking stores will let you demo a knife in the store - if you just ask. I rarely use a slicer. A Golbal G-5 vegetable knife gets the most use in my house. I am astonished at how much use a Global bread knife gets at my house. Global may now be made in China. I think mine are made in Japan. I got a great deal on a Global set and like them a lot. It also helps to make a decision on how you are going to store your knifes. Nearly all the knifes at thrift stores are crap. If you know what to look for you might find some stuff that just needs to be sharpened. Western knife sharpening stuff often seems to end up in thrift stores because people don’t know how to use it. Is the picture of a Cutco bread knife? I don’t get how that can work well. I would use the Santoku for the turkey this year and try to figure out what you like. I could also see a Wusthof chef’s knife in your future which is has greater use than a slicer. The place I see a slicer used the most is a sushi shop. Enjoy your search and find a better cookware store. Henkel sells knifes made in China, (I think Brazil), Spain and Germany. If you know what to look for you can tell them apart without looking at the blade which is labeled.
I have a few chefs knives. The carbon steel one on the left was in really bad shape when I got it for a couple bucks somewhere. It has a lot of pitting and looks rough but still cuts well. The one next to it is a Cutco and the one in a paper sleeve is serrated.
938F7424-B152-433D-82DE-020A3734C915.jpeg

The Cutco bread knife works amazingly well for things like slicing a roasted ham. I know a lot of knife aficionados downplay Cutco knives, but they get the job done, the price wasn’t too bad (if buying a set), and helped a college kid make money while learning sales. I really can’t complain, but I’m ready to move on to other brands as I add different shapes, which is why I started this thread.

So the two knives that I bought today were a bit of an impulse, but they filled a couple of holes in my lineup.

I really like the Made In santoku knife. I find myself reaching for it instinctively. I know it’s new and still a novelty but I still prefer it over my chef knives for basic slicing, dicing, and chopping. The grip is smooth and comfortable in my hand and it has an overall feeling of well balanced heft and quality that I like.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Also, Global is on my radar as well and I almost bought a few from Cutlery and More.

I have a few chefs knives. The carbon steel one on the left was in really bad shape when I got it for a couple bucks somewhere. It has a lot of pitting and looks rough but still cuts well. The one next to it is a Cutco and the one in a paper sleeve is serrated.
View attachment 1354083

The Cutco bread knife works amazingly well for things like slicing a roasted ham. I know a lot of knife aficionados downplay Cutco knives, but they get the job done, the price wasn’t too bad (if buying a set), and helped a college kid make money while learning sales. I really can’t complain, but I’m ready to move on to other brands as I add different shapes, which is why I started this thread.

So the two knives that I bought today were a bit of an impulse, but they filled a couple of holes in my lineup.

I really like the Made In santoku knife. I find myself reaching for it instinctively. I know it’s new and still a novelty but I still prefer it over my chef knives for basic slicing, dicing, and chopping. The grip is smooth and comfortable in my hand and it has an overall feeling of well balanced heft and quality that I like.

That one on the left is feckin awesome! Looks like an old American-made version of a Sab.

Wustohof Classics should serve you well. I've sharpened them often for other people - properly put together knives, with decent grinds, decent steel, and just generally all-round good and dependable :).

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
That one on the left is feckin awesome! Looks like an old American-made version of a Sab.

Wustohof Classics should serve you well. I've sharpened them often for other people - properly put together knives, with decent grinds, decent steel, and just generally all-round good and dependable :).
Many years ago I had a carbon steel Henckels made in Brazil that looked very much like (identical to) the one on the left. It was a wonderful knife. I still miss it, but it met an unhappy end. It had one little guy in the logo, not the usual two in the Twinwerks logo employed for Made in Germany Henckels. It was replaced by a first generation polypropylene handled, Made in Germany Henckels. The new one was much heavier, had much more belly, and was a little hard to sharpen. I don't miss it. Most of my knives for the last forty years have been carbon steel Sabs, which are wonderful, and a couple of cheap Tojiro ITKs which are the ones I now grab most. I like to cook with only one knife. I'll get out a specialty knife like boning or slicing when needed, but for getting the meal done, there is nothing that cheap 240 gyuto won't do with ease and aplomb. That old Brazilian Henckels was close.

Last edited:
I was gifted a Cutco pie server. Did not use it for 15 years as a single guy. Now I use it and it’s purchase was to help someone out how needed help.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

Just put up a new holder. The Wusthof’s are staying in the drawer, away from users who don’t appreciate good knives. The Cutco knives are also great for the “good enough” crowd. If I can keep good enough knives available for everyone else in the house then I can hopefully keep them away from the good knives.
AEDFE222-F0AA-450E-83AE-C1E04648CCED.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
Just put up a new holder. The Wusthof’s are staying in the drawer, away from users who don’t appreciate good knives. The Cutco knives are also great for the “good enough” crowd. If I can keep good enough knives available for everyone else in the house then I can hopefully keep them away from the good knives.
View attachment 1354995
That is the way it works in my house.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
So far, here’s what I’m thinking. The Japanese knives are absolutely wonderful, worth every penny, and probably out of my league as far as care and sharpening goes. Which means they are off the radar for now, but still viable for the future.

I’m totally sold on forged knives, as the set of Cutco knives that I already have are stamped and it doesn’t make sense to get any more of that style if I’m looking to up my game. Plus I’m keeping the Cutco knives for every other person who wants to use a knife in my house.

I now have three Wusthof products and one Made In knife. As much as I like the Made In knife, it’s not a significant savings over other high quality knives. Wusthof has been around for a few more weeks than Made In and are likely to continue to be there for a long time. So I’m leaning toward getting more Wusthof products in the Ikon or Classic Ikon series.

If anyone wants to try to talk me out of Wusthof and into something else I will listen, but the arguments will have to be strong.

To improve my sharpening game, I ordered a Work Sharp Ken Onion sharpener. I’m also going to be getting a better steel or ceramic stick and most likely a strop or paddle.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
So far, here’s what I’m thinking. The Japanese knives are absolutely wonderful, worth every penny, and probably out of my league as far as care and sharpening goes. Which means they are off the radar for now, but still viable for the future.

I’m totally sold on forged knives, as the set of Cutco knives that I already have are stamped and it doesn’t make sense to get any more of that style if I’m looking to up my game. Plus I’m keeping the Cutco knives for every other person who wants to use a knife in my house.

I now have three Wusthof products and one Made In knife. As much as I like the Made In knife, it’s not a significant savings over other high quality knives. Wusthof has been around for a few more weeks than Made In and are likely to continue to be there for a long time. So I’m leaning toward getting more Wusthof products in the Ikon or Classic Ikon series.

If anyone wants to try to talk me out of Wusthof and into something else I will listen, but the arguments will have to be strong.

To improve my sharpening game, I ordered a Work Sharp Ken Onion sharpener. I’m also going to be getting a better steel or ceramic stick and most likely a strop or paddle.
Sounds like a good strategy. Enjoy it all! Never forget, it's all about what you put on the table!

I have used my Henckels knives since the ‘70s. They still see a lot of kitchen duty. When I was working as a prep chef, I used a set of Tojiro DP knives in the restaurant. Never a glitch. Held an edge throughout an entire service (or longer) and proved to be quite durable. Still use them regularly.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I can’t wait any longer. Especially after perusing the Wusthof company store and seeing items out of stock. How can this be? I would think that the manufacturer would have everything in stock.

I’ve had excellent service from Cutlery and More, who almost always have my orders delivered in two or three days. So I ordered the 8” Ikon Creme (exclusive). The price was pretty reasonable too, about $30 less than the exact same knife with a black handle.

93FF7F61-DF8B-4558-B506-ADF377344EAE.jpeg

I can’t wait any longer. Especially after perusing the Wusthof company store and seeing items out of stock. How can this be? I would think that the manufacturer would have everything in stock.

I’ve had excellent service from Cutlery and More, who almost always have my orders delivered in two or three days. So I ordered the 8” Ikon Creme (exclusive). The price was pretty reasonable too, about $30 less than the exact same knife with a black handle.

View attachment 1355498

Cream handle's rather nice eh. Even without the $30 saving you've done well there I think :).

The whole handle design is actually quite smart, with the integrated bolster and end cap. All looks pretty swish!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Cream handle's rather nice eh. Even without the $30 saving you've done well there I think :).

The whole handle design is actually quite smart, with the integrated bolster and end cap. All looks pretty swish!
Thanks. It should arrive before I get back home on Friday. Also new sharpening equipment. So I should be set for a while.

Nice knife. Wusthof makes a fine blade. Reason yours is $30 less is probably because of the handle. The Classic Ikons handles are made from African Blackwood. The cream handle has to be a synthetic of some kind. But…you don’t cut with the handle, right?😉

Top Bottom