What's new

Wusthof 3K/8K

Hello all,

maybe anyone have tried Wusthof 3k/8k stone on straight razors? Looking to add this one on my setup. it does good job with the knives, I am wondering about straights.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Stepping up from 3k to 8k is reasonable but probably best not to finish a straight razor on the 8k synthetic as it is considered still rather course for a finishing whetstone. I would also recommend that you lap the Wusthof whetstone(s) flat between each single session and even during a session if needed.

From the 8k synthetic, you should consider finishing on a natural whetstone that is known to be a good finisher for straight razors. They will have an approximate grit rating getting up into the late teen thousands or even into the early twenty thousands. If a natural stone is beyond your budget, give serious consideration to using lapping films on an acrylic substrate. Lapping films go down to 0.3um (about 45k grit equivalent), although most stop as 1um (about 25k).

I take my straight razors to 0.1um (about 200k) but that is not to everyone's taste.

Stepping up from 3k to 8k is reasonable but probably best not to finish a straight razor on the 8k synthetic as it is considered still rather course for a finishing whetstone. I would also recommend that you lap the Wusthof whetstone(s) flat between each single session and even during a session if needed.

From the 8k synthetic, you should consider finishing on a natural whetstone that is known to be a good finisher for straight razors. They will have an approximate grit rating getting up into the late teen thousands or even into the early twenty thousands. If a natural stone is beyond your budget, give serious consideration to using lapping films on an acrylic substrate. Lapping films go down to 0.3um (about 45k grit equivalent), although most stop as 1um (about 25k).

I take my straight razors to 0.1um (about 200k) but that is not to everyone's taste.
I did not mentioned, that I currently own 1K/6K King deluxe and 12K Chinese hone. So my plan is to fill the gaps between 1k and 6k. I am thinking of Ardennes coticule for finish

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I did not mentioned, that I currently own 1K/6K King deluxe and 12K Chinese hone. So my plan is to fill the gaps between 1k and 6k. I am thinking of Ardennes coticule for finish
In that case, if it is within your budget, I would say get the Wusthof 3k/8k.

I am looking to get an Adaee 12k Cnat whetstones on AliExpress, just to see what it is like. Only a little over USD 30 including shipping. Could be interesting. My finest grit whetstone is currently a 10k synthetic. From that, I go onto lapping films.

The few naturals I had were left in the Philippines.

Last edited:
I think that Wusthoff stone is best suited for sharpening Western cutlery and not so much for razor work. If you search here on B&B you can find a thread where a member seriously disliked that stone for honing razors. I know a few guys that don't even like it for knife work. To me, that combo stone looks like the Bearmoo types on Amazon, their composition suggests they are very similar if not identical. I have used the Bearmoos and they're not plausible for razor work IMO. I'll suggest that it is entirely possible that the King 6k is 'finer' than that 8k Wusthoff.
Choosing stones is more than a matter of picking numbers to fill in the open slots. Budget is important, sure, but having to buy twice is often more expensive than buying the right thing once.

Top Bottom