What's new

WTG or ATG

I am not new to wet shaving, been doing it for about 10 years. But I am new to DE, only about 3 times now. I have been reading that you are to NEVER shave AGT unless you want razor burn. I have always shaved ATG with cartridge razors and never had a problem. I tried to shave only WTG with the DE and it was not a CCS, I still had lots of stubble. The next day I went WTG then AGT and it was close to what I was getting with a cartrigde with no ill effects. Is the WTG, XTG, AGT just personall preference or is there something to it?

Ron

The whole idea of making multiple passes with a DE comes from the fact that you cannot remove all of your beard with one pass. By starting with a WTG pass (the easiest to make) and then making XTG and ATG passes, you are gradually cutting closer to the skin and getting a smoother shave. I normally make do with WTG and XTG when using a DE.

I am not new to wet shaving, been doing it for about 10 years. But I am new to DE, only about 3 times now. I have been reading that you are to NEVER shave AGT unless you want razor burn. I have always shaved ATG with cartridge razors and never had a problem. I tried to shave only WTG with the DE and it was not a CCS, I still had lots of stubble. The next day I went WTG then AGT and it was close to what I was getting with a cartrigde with no ill effects. Is the WTG, XTG, AGT just personall preference or is there something to it?

First, welcome to B&B, Ron!

I had been wetshaving with a brush and cream for more than 30 years before I made the change to DE's a few months ago, and I was surprised at just how much of a learning curve a had. I figured that I could do the same routine as shaving with my M3: a WTG pass followed without relathering by an ATG pass. My shaves were fairly close, but usually bloody.:blushing: In retrospect, I think I would have much done better if I got my technique down before jumping into shaving ATG, and re-lathered before each pass.

Most advise new DE shavers to avoid going ATG at first in order to avoid the bloodbath and major razor burn that the combination of poor technique and and ATG pass usually result in. That said, if it works for you, have at it.

It's been my experience that an ATG pass results in a markedly closer shave than merely going WTG and a slightly closer shave than a WTG/XTG combo, but at the expense of possible irritation unless your technique is solid. My usual routine now (about 6 months into DE shaving) is WTG/XTG/ATG plus touchups, but if I'm in a hurry a two-pass WTG/ATG gives me a pretty great shave in a hurry. All this, and with zero irritation and only an occaisional weeper that my alum bar takes care of easily.

Since you're new to DE, just remember the big three and you'll do just fine:

PROPER ANGLE
NO PRESSURE
TAKE YOUR TIME

Speed and closeness will come with practice. It's a distinctly different technique and much more of a learning process than shaving with a cart. Enjoy the journey!

WTG, XTG and ATG are only guidelines to give the idea. If you can start with ATG, more power to you.

The only mistake I recognize as a mistake is one that doesn't give you a satisfying shave.

John has given great advice above.

Myself I Use the WTG/ATG with a few touch ups.

I also believe that you must get used to the razor and experiment to see what it takes to achieve your BBS.

Ron your shaving routine sounds a lot like mine. I have always done at least one ATG passes and most of the time two. I am a person who likes a close shave so I learned to go ATG years ago. Some people can handle it and some can't. It sounds like your one of the lucky ones who can. Good Luck and Welcome!:thumbup1:

Take your time and experiment. You won't find what works for you right away, you'll discover it as you go along. Don't get frustrated, enjoy the journey.

Personally, I go WTG, XTG and then ATG. Sometimes a touchup or two. But now that I have the angle down and understand my rotation of razors (they'll all slightly different) I can get much better shaves than I ever did with cartridges.

Now, this wasn't an overnight change. My first few weeks with the Fatboy were challenging and I thought about giving up and buying another pack of Fusion carts. But I kept seeing all the success stories here and kept going. Gradually, the shaves got better and better. When I went back to the Fusion (out of curiosity) a few weeks ago, I was shocked at how badly it shaved.

So keep going and trying new things. Sooner or later, it will "click" and you'll be thrilled with your choice to go DE!

If I don't do ATG, I cannot get BBS. That being said, if I don't do ATG SLOWLY and PROPERLY, I will have BBS...and one hell of an irritated face.

Sometimes it's honestly a tradeoff: closer with irritation, or CCS with zero irritation. Of course, the 'hazel makes irritation much less of a worry.

OK, I guess that I am ok then, like I said I have always went with a ATG and never had any issues. I was just making sure. For now I will stick with WTG, XTG, and finally ATG. I have never done the XTG but mabey it will give me a closer shave.

Thanks

Ron

All good advise, everyones face and skin is different and do what is best for you . If you were going ATG before you should have no problem. Make you other 2 passes first and see what happens. I shave WTG then ATG to get a BBS.

Welcome to B&B :jump:

Like so many things you can hear about nearly anything, my motto is; if it works, do it. If it doesn't work, then change one thing at a time until it does.

No two faces or beards are exactly alike, so don't worry

:shaving:

I can do ATG with a cartridge razor but as soon as I tried doing it using a DE my neck was severely irritated... Although the cartridge ATG eventually leads to ingrown hairs...

you need to a spend a bit of time mastering blade angle and trying different blades before attempting an ATG pass. I shaved with a DE for 3 months before trying one. it was worth the wait, the shave was sensational and after making errors in the past, I'm now confident in my technique.

don't rush anything in this game

S

stubble trouble

Be the blade......... Nananananana. Best of luck and enjoy yourself!:thumbup:

Top Bottom