What's new

WSP Wet Shaving Products Rustic Soap

Im not as experienced as some members here are but I would like to contribute so here’s it goes...

A bit of background....I have been wet shaving for 35 years (48yo now). Until about 2 mo ago all my shaves were with cartridge razors or good disposables and Edge Gel. Then I discovered this forum and spent about $800 Since buying razors, creams and soaps. Shaving daily. Improving my technique and focusing on products I like and eliminating those that don’t.

One of the products that stands out is WSP Rustic soap. The lather is slick, thick and easy to whip up. The fragrance of each flavor is not strong after lathering. The flavors smell good most notably Blackbeard’s and Black Amber Vanille.

My shaveware was the Rex Amabassador set to 1, a new feather blade and a silver tip brush. Bloomed the soap for about 10 min in the tin. Loaded the wet brush and face lathered. I was rewarded with thick, rich , slick lather good for a 3 pass shave. Followed it up with an alum block and some face moisturizer. Amazing BBS result!

Very nice soap! Can’t imagine soap getting any better!

WSP Formula T (Tallow) is pretty good.
+1 on the tallow versions. The non-tallow versions are fine, but I find the tallow version very creamy. In fact, I'm working through about a 20 year supply of about 100 soaps and revisited WSP over the last week. I like many of their scents. I went away from WSP for awhile with all the new super fatted soaps out there lately like T&S, GD, DG, Wholly Kaw etc. However, even though WSP has much simpler ingredients, it does lather easier than most soaps and is super creamy, extremely protective and reasonably slick. Absolutely no weepers or irritation on my usual obsessive BBS shaves this week. Post shave is fine but not quite like T&S, GD, Lisa Natural Artisan, or Turtleship, but very good non the less. WSP is an excellent value. I can even live with the tin as I bowl lather and allow the copious lather generated from this soap to fall into my large timeless bowl or my Captain's Choice copper bowl. Just an excellent everyday workhorse soap that I could use exclusively if it was the only soap available.

I have most of their soaps in Formula T and Rustic and love the scents but much prefer Formula T over Rustic. Rustic has given me some good shaves must many times Rustic starts to dry on one side of my face while shaving the other side. In my humble opinion, Formula T is incredible soap and I haven't found any others I enjoy more. Again, that's just my experience and opinion but doesn't mean it works for everyone else. You just have to experiment and find what works best for you. Unfortunately, experimentation get a bit pricey.

@Jetpilot I'm also an airline pilot. For the last ten years, I've shaved with Tabac shaving stick soap and a Vulfix travel badger brush (the one I use has been discontinued), face lathering. Tabac stick is triple milled (very hard) so it lasts a long time. It's a very convenient solution for overnights. I use Tabac strictly for the performance, as I can't stand the smell.

It's performance is so good that it has been my exclusive soap for just over ten years now. I put slickness/lubrication at the top of my list. I don't care if a soap smells bad, leaves my skin dry, or causes global warming.. I want *slickness*, and Tabac delivers. Something you might want to throw in your kit for your next trip.

I like the Rustic a lot too.

Delivers well in all the things that I need in a shave soap. Plus they make a few nice scents that I enjoy.

WSP tallow soaps are great. They are just down the road from me .I stopped by and picked up 4 more versions today. They have a very nice set up.

See
IMG_20190211_125848559.jpg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I like both version / soap bases and think i get better results with rustic over t. Glad your enjoying it

This is where YMMV comes into play, but I prefer Rustic over the Formula T. Both are good, but, for me, the rustic is a little better.

I do not like the tins and wish they would switch to the plastic tubs or even sell "refill" pucks and I can use old containers that are empty.

Top Bottom