What's new

WSP High Mountain White knots

Anyone ever use one of the wet shaving products high mountain white knots? If so, are they any good? I've got probably 2 of each kind of TGN knot already, and now looking to try something else. Looking at the WSP High Mountain White.. pricey at 90 bones for the 23/24, but what the heck... you only live once right?

I couldn't find anyone posting much about the knots.

I had the Monarch in HMW and it was very nice. It was very soft and not the densest but definitely not floppy. Supposedly it's the same HMW of Plisson fame which I would assume explains the cost.

I have their HMW brush and am not impressed. I have turned and restored 10 other brushes and for my $, they all out perform the "Monarch". Compared to a couple of Silver tip knots that I bought from "Ace Shaving" for about $25 each. The Ace knots are far better. The HMW is floppy and thin by comparison. YMMV. BTW I have no interest in Ace Shaving except I like their stuff. Best knots for the buck I've found. I have also used TGN & Bear Tooth Woods, but I am loving the Ace knots. I have another 1/2 dozen vintage handles in various stages of restore and I will be buying the Ace knots for all of them.

Ronnie

Anyone ever use one of the wet shaving products high mountain white knots? If so, are they any good? I've got probably 2 of each kind of TGN knot already, and now looking to try something else. Looking at the WSP High Mountain White.. pricey at 90 bones for the 23/24, but what the heck... you only live once right?

I couldn't find anyone posting much about the knots.

Usually a good sign to avoid them. I avoid WSP for multiple reasons, but the biggest being they are just a middle man for products (don't turn handles, don't make knots).

Even if it is Plisson, I haven't seen too many good things about them either. If you want a top quality knot that you know will perform and are willing to spend the money, I'd look to a Shavemac Knot.

Last edited:
I have their HMW brush and am not impressed. I have turned and restored 10 other brushes and for my $, they all out perform the "Monarch". Compared to a couple of Silver tip knots that I bought from "Ace Shaving" for about $25 each. The Ace knots are far better. The HMW is floppy and thin by comparison. YMMV. BTW I have no interest in Ace Shaving except I like their stuff. Best knots for the buck I've found. I have also used TGN & Bear Tooth Woods, but I am loving the Ace knots. I have another 1/2 dozen vintage handles in various stages of restore and I will be buying the Ace knots for all of them.

Ronnie

Ronnie, I agree with you on ACE. ACE knots tend to be my go to knot if they have the size that I need. The Best is a real sleeper knot that few people realize is almost as soft as a Silvertip but with more backbone and ACE Silvertips are excellent and range from 20mm to the massive 29 mm knots.

Thanks for the comments guys. I have been thinking about going Shavemac route, but I couldn't figure out how to buy them - do you have to email Bernd for a pricelist? That's about as far as I could figure it out.

I agree - Ace shaving knots are very good value for money.. I picked up two 24mm extra density knots and they outperform anything I have bought at that price. I am thinking about getting the 24mm finest - I wanted a 22mm, but they don't seem to have that size. Are their finests good? I might have to take a look at their best.

Thanks for the comments guys. I have been thinking about going Shavemac route, but I couldn't figure out how to buy them - do you have to email Bernd for a pricelist? That's about as far as I could figure it out.

I have never ordered one, just an entire brush.

I believe (don't quote me), you have to email Bernd for a price for a "knot only" and wait for him to get back to you. I think Rudy Vey also has access or stock on some Shavemac knots from what I understand and would be able to set it for you, if you didn't want to do the transplant.

I agree - Ace shaving knots are very good value for money.. I picked up two 24mm extra density knots and they outperform anything I have bought at that price. I am thinking about getting the 24mm finest - I wanted a 22mm, but they don't seem to have that size. Are their finests good? I might have to take a look at their best.

That 24 mm finest is really a good knot.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/338064-New-Den-Arrival?highlight=

I like their Best Badger Knot better than the silver tip. I have four best brushes with various degrees of knot depth and I find myself picking them up more than the others. I use the $100 WSP to re-wet my face between passes. LOL

Ronnie

Just to be clear on my last post. I haven't tried the "Finest" knot from Ace yet, so I can't comment on them.

Ronnie

Can someone please clarify the relationship between WSP and Plisson? Is a Plisson HWW extra dense different / better than the WSP/Plisson version?

Can someone please clarify the relationship between WSP and Plisson? Is a Plisson HWW extra dense different / better than the WSP/Plisson version?
I don't believe there is any relation at all. WSP and others use HWM as a grading name.

Its my understanding that WSP buy knots and handles and assemble. Whereas Plisson likely ties the knots and turns the handles.

Big difference between these two brushes.

Last edited:
But WSP uses wording like " WSP and Plisson make. . . " as if there was some co-venture.

It's all marketing. He has also used the term "Blonde Badger", but they are not affiliated with the known user of that grade, Morris & Forndran.

Last edited:
Top Bottom