What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

I love Albion and have a few other samples in the queue. They're a half-step behind my absolute best soaps (as far as performance) but P&B will always be in the mix I suspect because I've enjoyed the ones I've used.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
thanks Rhody. i think I will try it out. have you gotten any compliments at all on the WSP tobacco edp?
more for the aftershave. I think wsp aftershave is more high potency than some others
i hope you enjoy .another idea is to try a sample of the as

P&B has a great soap base. Kerry had a few hicups when he first started out (soap weight and scent issues) but is back to normal. Some of the scents i dont care for but there is a wide variety to choose from. Sanskrit, Star Noir, and Citra Royale are my favorite of the ones i have tried. Soap can handle a TON of water and provides excellent protection.

@SHAVEWIZARD420 I agree that the soap base is great and up there with big boys.
I have just started with Volupta and find the P&B soap seems to tick all the boxes. As a long time users of MWF and Tabac I am happy that this is a great time for wet shavers when there are scores of good soaps around to choose from.
I did read about soap weight issues and I have to say if I open all my P&B tubs and eyeball them, they certainly seem to be little under OR over. But then I might be splitting hair over curing shrinkage.

I have the Imperial Rum which I really enjoy, soap is excellent and the balm is great, I also bought the solid cologne which I'm not crazy about but I understand they are making a regular cologne soon, The problem is they won't be able to ship it to the US.

Big P&B fan here, both the company and the products.

Scents are, of course, a very personal matter but in terms of performance they're amongst the best I've used. Of the varieties I've tried so far I have loved all the scent profiles also.

Currently I have the following:

Albion (best summer scent)
Oberon
Spitfire (my absolute favourite scent of all my soaps and creams)
V60
Whitechapel

Eyeing up the Imperial Rum for the next one I think...

Picked one up at the SWest shave show yesterday $50. When you consider what goes into a set a good price. Part 1 photos of the set. Keep in mind I had to take down the corner lumps in the razor corners so the head would fit flush. The case, mirror, handle are very nice.
IMG_20190428_105642407.jpg
IMG_20190428_105742585.jpg
IMG_20190428_105846763.jpg
IMG_20190428_105937046.jpg
IMG_20190428_105951847.jpg
IMG_20190428_110017019.jpg
IMG_20190428_110106466.jpg
MVIMG_20190428_110121248.jpg

Part 2
Weight
Gillette old total 49.9
New set. 53.2
Razor is nickle over brass
The shave
Keep in mind this is not a Gillette old. It may resemble a old but shaves differently. I noticed right off it was not as smooth as the Gillette which is perfection. The kit razor has a satin finish on the head. The kit razor provides a almost BBS. The Gillette old a BBS Everytime. I will use a Gillette old head in this kit which I like. If RE payed a little more attention to the head the kit would be perfect. But for $50 I'm happy. I'm sure there is not much profit for RE as is and they did a great job on the kit other than the head. The base plate is fine.
IMG_20190428_110343408.jpg

Last edited:
I’d have to see the side of the top cap to know for sure, but your shave might be based off of the thick cap, post 1921. I have both. I prefer the thin cap and having more choice with angle. The thick cap kinda steers you into an angle. I hated the thick cap initially but after a few shaves, I got the same results as a thin cap.

The satin is really based on preference. I opted to be patient for a mint cap on auction and didn’t have to wait long. If you want a shiny cap, you have to do the math, cost of mint versus one with brassing and having it replated.

I bought one of their ball end handles to use with a US Military set a little while back. I didn’t want to destroy an original to have a barrel replacement. Not bad for the price, it is nice and I am happy with mine.

R

romsitsa

I'm 99% sure it's a replated Gillette Old cap and comb, it just looks like a post patent head. The"lumps" and the overtightened thread are pretty common on vintage pieces but shouldn't exist on replicas as these are damages.
Nice set.

Adam

I compared it with a thick cap model. They had a lot of sets there. Unless RP has a unlimited supply of old model heads. Only they can clear that up. It was no big deal I have extras

I’d have to see the side of the top cap to know for sure, but your shave might be based off of the thick cap, post 1921. I have both. I prefer the thin cap and having more choice with angle. The thick cap kinda steers you into an angle. I hated the thick cap initially but after a few shaves, I got the same results as a thin cap.

The satin is really based on preference. I opted to be patient for a mint cap on auction and didn’t have to wait long. If you want a shiny cap, you have to do the math, cost of mint versus one with brassing and having it replated.

I bought one of their ball end handles to use with a US Military set a little while back. I didn’t want to destroy an original to have a barrel replacement. Not bad for the price, it is nice and I am happy with mine.

If you don't mind how much was just the handle

First of all congrats for the beautiful set you have there! At $50 it's a no-brainer. I've always loved the look of the Khaki set and a brand new revisitation would be a welcomed addition.
I also believe the razor is a genuine replated Old Type head. Razor Emporium is a well respected and established seller, I don't think he would put the Gillette logo on the base-plate; at that point it wouldn't be a clone, it would be a counterfeit (you know, crossing that thin-line can be very dangerous)

It looks like an original Old Type to me also. I was just wondering if your previous experience with Old Types was with just thin caps based on your description of how it shaved. I couldn’t tell from your pictures if it what you got from RE was a thick or thin cap.

I assume that trying to keep caps and baseplates from the same sets would be a heck of a chore since many are already mismatched by the 21st century anyhow. I wouldn’t be surprised if I bought a set from RE that included a numbered baseplate with a later thick cap made after 1921.

If you have a thin cap, it looks to be paired with baseplate made after 1921. Just the other way around. No big deal as I don’t think there was any difference with those baseplates except for not having a serial number.

You could take a ruler and line it up with your top cap to make sure everything is straight. I have 2 serial numbered thin capped Old Types from US Service sets from 1917. They shave the same. My 1923 thick cap Old Type took just a little adjustment over a shave or two to match the shave of the 1917s. I just attributed it to the thick cap.

If you don't mind how much was just the handle

I bought my handle a while back from RE for $25.

I do not have the mirrors for my US Service sets and the ones shown here interest me. From the pictures, I’m not sure if these would fit in my kits, these look more square than the mirrors that would have come with my kits. I know one of my kits originally had a mirror but the other, I’m not entirely sure.

If these are the same size, that might help me but again, these reproductions look too square to me.

I bought my handle a while back from RE for $25.

I do not have the mirrors for my US Service sets and the ones shown here interest me. From the pictures, I’m not sure if these would fit in my kits, these look more square than the mirrors that would have come with my kits. I know one of my kits originally had a mirror but the other, I’m not entirely sure.

If these are the same size, that might help me but again, these reproductions look too square to me.
I'll measure the mirror when I get home

Top Bottom