What's new

Wrong Brush

After a loooooong wait, my package finally arrived from Vintage Scent. I opened it tonight and found a SOC in Ash... Wait... Ash??? I ordered Cherry. :crying: This is truly a disappointment as I had to wait extra time because Cherry was out of stock when I ordered. :cursing: It would sure be nice if their website let you know that a product was out of stock before you order it.

Unfortunately I disliked Ash and fell its a cheap hardwood. I really had my heart set on Cherry and just don't know that it's worth the time, trouble or effort to return it. Then start the waiting game all over again, hoping and wondering if they'll get the order right the second time.

I'm curious if any of you have returned stuff to Vintage Scent?

Thanks for listening to me moan.

Updated 1/31/14

I contacted Vintage Scent and explained the issue. They responded quickly letting me know a Cherry SOC would be on it's way, and making me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Their customer service is outstanding! Thank you Leon & Vintage Scent.

Last edited:
I can imagine your disappointment in receiving the wrong brush after having to wait so very long. Since you truly had your heart set on the Cherry handled brush, I think it would be worth the extra effort to arrange an exchange. In some cases, one shouldn't settle, and this is one of those cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rather than return it, I'd explain the situation via the "contact us" link, here:

http://vintagescent.com/index.php?main_page=contact_us&zenid=0536c8bf0acfcc7c1e46154727376282

id use the current brush, order a new one and sell the one they originally at a slight loss on the bst (which may be less than return shipping). I'd rather use the brush until the new one arrives instead on not having it, having to return it and have to wait for the cherry soc.

Sorry if that was an incoherent mumble- time for coffee.

strop

Now half as wise
If the Emerald Ash Borer continues to spread thruout North America, Ash will go the way of Elm and become a very rare wood!

I'd sell it on BST and get what you really want!

Rather than return it, I'd explain the situation via the "contact us" link, here:

http://vintagescent.com/index.php?main_page=contact_us&zenid=0536c8bf0acfcc7c1e46154727376282

id use the current brush, order a new one and sell the one they originally at a slight loss on the bst (which may be less than return shipping). I'd rather use the brush until the new one arrives instead on not having it, having to return it and have to wait for the cherry soc.

Sorry if that was an incoherent mumble- time for coffee.

i love no-brainer problems. Don't use the brush. Don't take a loss of even one penny. Just contact the company and explain that they have sent the wrong product and send you a prepaid mailer to return the Ash handle brush in. If they are willing they could just send the brush you have already paid for and include the return mailer. You only pay shipping if you are unhappy with a product and it is not the vendor's fault. Perhaps they would be willing to deeply discount the brush they sent in error. So you could have a spare. If you paid by credit card you have other avenues open to you which gives you leverage. If you are using Paypal or the purchase was through Ebay, you have plenty of protection. Hopefully the seller will make this a pleasant experience and hopes for a repeat customer.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
While it's true that Ash is a bit cheaper than Cherry, you've only got a tiny chunk of wood for a brush handle. I you are going to be unhappy every time you look at the brush I think it's a no-brainer: get the cherry and they should really pay for the shipping both ways.

I have an SOC in both woods and they are both fine handles, but you should end up with the one you really want.

Obviously, I think you should have both! :001_smile

I say go ahead and order the Cherry brush, but keep them both. I have one of each SOC, so that one could be drying while the other is in use.

My 2 SOCs developed very unique personalities, even though they are both the same age and went through the same break-in. The Cherry is scritchy with plenty of backbone, the Ash is nice and soft but a bit floppy. Both of them are great brushes and produce lather like crazy.

But even if you do decide to sell the Ash, it will go quickly on the BST. I agree that the cost and effort to return it is not worth the hassle. Better to take a slight monetary loss and get the situation straightened out the easy, quick way.

i love no-brainer problems. Don't use the brush. Don't take a loss of even one penny. Just contact the company and explain that they have sent the wrong product and send you a prepaid mailer to return the Ash handle brush in. If they are willing they could just send the brush you have already paid for and include the return mailer. You only pay shipping if you are unhappy with a product and it is not the vendor's fault. Perhaps they would be willing to deeply discount the brush they sent in error. So you could have a spare. If you paid by credit card you have other avenues open to you which gives you leverage. If you are using Paypal or the purchase was through Ebay, you have plenty of protection. Hopefully the seller will make this a pleasant experience and hopes for a repeat customer.

+1. Good advice!

It is a matter of courtesy to contact the vendor first and try to solve this misunderstanding between the two of you. And that should be done in amicable terms.
Unless one really likes to moan in public.

My opinion, only.

I would give the vendor the opportunity to make it up to you. Cherry - some special cherry? Burled or patterned? Or just regular cherry? In my experience, cherry is fairly easy to get. Even in small quantities. If you'd like I can PM you some resources to pass along to them if you'd like. One of the most extraordinary ways is to go to a woodworking catalog in Germany. All there woods are totally dry (this is important) and they subtract the taxes (VAT 17% - ish) so the cost is a wash with shipping. it's called Dictum GmbH hey have beautfiul flint knives and japanese saws fun to look through either way :) http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/page/homepage.htm?lang=en . A bit off topic but I hope they straighten it out for you. Could just be wrong brush in the wrong box.

+1 It's definitely a bummer that you have to wait longer to get what you ordered. Don't settle for what you don't want in this case though.

Ben

Let Vintage Scent know the error, I'd be shocked if you weren't made more than whole. This is a much respected vendor and responds to emails. Several years ago I had a similar problem, I received immediate service and the problem was satisfactorily resolved, I have continued to shop from this site.

Any news?

It's in the OP:

Updated 1/31/14

I contacted Vintage Scent and explained the issue. They responded quickly letting me know a Cherry SOC would be on it's way, and making me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Their customer service is outstanding! Thank you Leon & Vintage Scent.

Last edited:
It is a matter of courtesy to contact the vendor first and try to solve this misunderstanding between the two of you. And that should be done in amicable terms.
Unless one really likes to moan in public.

My opinion, only.

Absolutely correct. Anyone that's ever ran a business would want the same courtesy.

Bruno (Leon) at Vintage Scent is right up there at the highest levels of customer service. Glad that it worked out for the OP.

I'm glad they resolved it for you. Good to know there are still some good people out there offering great customer service.

Top Bottom