What's new

Wrist support

A few weeks back some crazy bastard tried to attack my son and I and a good freind of mine and in the process of deffending us I hurt my left wrist. Since then I have been wear a splint and have not been in the gym for fear of doing more damage. A couple days ago I thought it would be safe to hit the gym and wound up hurting it all over again. Is there something I can do to support my wrist and enable myself to work out again.

gage0921 said:
A few weeks back some crazy bastard tried to attack my son and I and a good freind of mine and in the process of deffending us I hurt my left wrist. Since then I have been wear a splint and have not been in the gym for fear of doing more damage. A couple days ago I thought it would be safe to hit the gym and wound up hurting it all over again. Is there something I can do to support my wrist and enable myself to work out again.

Sean, it really sounds like you need to see a doctor for xrays. Sometime hairline breaks become worse if not treated.

I had a hairline fracture in my arm and had to stop lifting for close to six months. I probably didn't have to wait quite that long, but everytime I tried to start up again after a month or so, it started hurting again right away. I finally played it safe and it never bothered me again. I saw my doctor and he said I just needed to wait for it to heal. It didn't need a cast, just time.

I went to the doctor for xrays and he said were the splint....sadly it was to lat for my right hand when I finally went. My pinky finger and knuckle are bent and apparently thats how they will stay:frown: Thankfully it doesnt hurt but damnit if my left wrist doesnt....I guess staying out of the gym a little longer is my option.....

Sean,

For what it's worth taking a couple of weeks off from the gym can seem like shear torture I know. I had a knee injury last winter. I run and workout to relieve stress more than anything. It drove me bananas not being able to do much on an injured knee. So I figured I'd approach things from another angle. I laid off the running and lower body workouts and concentrated on more core workouts and stretching for a couple of months. I think doing so improved my overall fitness and helped me feel better faster...? This is not the solution but another approach. Good luck!

Sean,
I am nursing a badly sprained ankle and am sharing your frustration. It's been about two months now and I still can't do anything other than swim the breaststroke. It's not the same quality workout but you might try swimming. You can get a wrist brace, wrist guard (like for rollerblading) or even just an ace bandage to keep the wrist in place and secured. The muscular workout is not as good as lifting but this will allow you to at least keep your toning.
Good luck,
Jeff

I hurt my wrist awhile back and had some wrist straps from http://newgrip.com/ The grips and straps helped a lot. Of course I had to take it easy and only use weights and machines that didn't stress the wrist very much. If you think about it, there are plenty of machines that keep your wrist from flexing back. You could even wear the splint and do some of them. It sounds like your injury is worse than mine so I would advise to take plenty of time off and then start very very very light. Don't worry, you're better off doing that then trying to do too much, too fast. I've learned the hard way doing that. I've been lifting weights for about 40 years and have learned that some time off will not hurt you. Only help you if your body needs it. When I was young like you I thought I couldn't miss a workout. As I got older and wiser I figured out more of what my body needed and knew when to back off. Take it easy!

Wrists and hands are very tricky business. Make sure that you see either an orthopedist or plastic surgeon who specializes in wrists or hands. There is a lot of mobility and dexterity there and thus it is a full time speciality; preserving that is ciritical. If this doesn't get better soon you may need to have either a bone scan or more likely and MRI to evaluate this.

MJB

Top Bottom