What's new

WOW

After FINALLY getting the bevel set using a Shapton 1k on a cheap Gold Dollar, I continued the progression with a 6k no name stone, then a Shapton 8k, and finished with an ILR (~12K). The shave was just ok. Last night, I spent a pretty good while on the 12k under running water and then 50 laps on brown lapping film (5u?), and 30 more on a CrOx pasted balsa strop. Under 120x magnification, the edge looked almost perfect. This morning was the most comfortable shave I have ever had. Also, after a straight razor shave, I usually use Nivea aftershave because there is no alcohol in it but I used YSL L'homme aftershave today and it didn't burn hardly any.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Congratulations on your GD success! For a beginner to successfully hone a GD is a considerable feat. And you can definitely put those results down as a success.

From a 12k edge to 5u film is actually a step backward. You can skip that. You could go to 1u film after the 12k, for a slight jump up in grit, and possibly a flatter honing surface. I don't think I would want to use CrOx after every shave... much too coarse for that. But for a refresh now and then, it will keep your razor at the present level of sharpness for quite a while without honing.

If you want to up your game, consider diamond and balsa set up as in THIS thread. The .1u diamond properly set up and used leaves an edge that feels great on the face (provided you remember to reduce your shave angle!) and is crazy sharp. And you can use the .1u after every shave and never again experience an edge that has gone or is going dull on you. No further honing required.

Good job!

Give a couple of strokes on the CrOx after every shave and don’t forget to strop well on leather prior to shaving, and the next time you will need to touch a stone or film might as well be very far away.

Top Bottom