What's new

Wow! The NEW is amazing!

I just got my 30s long comb NEW bar handle in the mail today....and wow this razor blew me away! It's easily my favorite razor I own now. I didn't think they could get much better than the Slim/SS/Tech/Krona/34c razors...this thing is effective and mows down any growth standing in it's path. I didn't even feel the blade against my skin like I could in other OC razors I've tried(Fatip Piccolo). This razor is a perfect medium between mild and aggressive. A+ all day for this little guy. I used a Shark Super Chrome in it just to be safe. That combo works great. When it's time to change that blade out, I'll put in a trusty GSB as those are my main blade.

One thing I noticed while shaving tonight, was that I could feel a weird vibration in the handle as soon as I hit stubble with the razor. Kept making me think the head was coming loose. Is that normal for this kind of razor?

Cheers, and Happy 2016 everyone!

Awesome score and congrats.

Not sure about the vibration but some have posted they believe it's because those razors were designed to hold a blade of approximately .006" thickness but blades today are nearly universally about .004" thick.

I have used my NEW LC with thinner blades but didn't seem to notice anything out of the ordinary, but who knows.

Congrats on the new NEW! I love my SC still need a LC though. Blade vibration or chatter is usually caused by to steep of an angle, but in your case I would blame it on the Sharks. Sorry I went through a 5 pack of them and wanted to like them, but more often than not they tore me up.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Congrats on the new NEW! Do you have any pictures of this razor (one of the best IMHO)

Congratulations! I got a NEW LC a while back and absolutely love it. I am still rotating through several razors that I have acquired, but the NEW and my Red Tip have quickly become my favorites. I'm now looking for a SC to go with it.

The New LC is a favorite of mine too! I've used it with a shim and have had some of my best shaves ever.

Sadly I don't have a camera to take pics of the razor. I'd give it's condition a 7/10 being in decent shape. It has all it's plating no loss. Just a bunch of scratches on the top cap and pocket worn spots on the 4 corner teeth. It's gold with a copper top cap.

Shark SCs are not my favorite blade, and I only shaved with about 3 blades before this one. They seem forgiving and sharp enough to cut through my thickish beard. As to the "chatter" I don't think it's gonna be as issue as I got a BBS shave last night just fine. Not sure how I feel about using a shim either. If I was to go that route, an old razor blade with it's edges cut off would work right?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Sadly I don't have a camera to take pics of the razor. I'd give it's condition a 7/10 being in decent shape. It has all it's plating no loss. Just a bunch of scratches on the top cap and pocket worn spots on the 4 corner teeth. It's gold with a copper top cap.

Shark SCs are not my favorite blade, and I only shaved with about 3 blades before this one. They seem forgiving and sharp enough to cut through my thickish beard. As to the "chatter" I don't think it's gonna be as issue as I got a BBS shave last night just fine. Not sure how I feel about using a shim either. If I was to go that route, an old razor blade with it's edges cut off would work right?
what part of NE OH. you from?

Welcome to the world of the NEWs.

proxy.php

I wouldn't worry about shimming unless you want it to be more aggressive.

As to the "chatter" I don't think it's gonna be as issue as I got a BBS shave last night just fine. Not sure how I feel about using a shim either. If I was to go that route, an old razor blade with it's edges cut off would work right?
Yes I believe that is the shim suggested.
But, sssssssssh, don't let anyone know about NEWs. It'll drive up the price. Let's just keep it as our little secret.:thumbup1:

The Gillette NEW LC is my favorite vintage razor. I put a heavier handle on mine and I think I will get it re-plated (rhodium?) someday, but it certainly shaves like a dream.

I have used mine with a shim, and I found it did make it more aggressive -- maybe about like a FaTip. I find mine shaves best without a shim -- when I want aggressive I like a Mühle R41.

why did you shim it? To make it more aggressive?
I had read that it was designed for thicker blades. I've used it with and without a shim. With (just one blade thickness) was slightly more aggressive, but not overly so and gave me incredible shaves with 2 passes.

Top Bottom