What's new

WOW I'm amazed

Tonight was a definite night to remember in my straight razor journey.... I had 2 days growth and did a quick 3 pass shave but changed up one thing I was keeping the same angle with my blade for all 3 passes.... when I did my across and against passes tonight I had the blade almost flat a very very minimal angle to it and WOW I can't believe how quickly it went by and absolutely NO irritation. I go to bed one happy and learned man tonight :a14:

Excellent! This is inspirational for me to read as I prepare to embark on learning a to straight shave. Thanks, Monoxide!

Yep. Glad to see the old myth that you should shave at 30 degrees is finally dying. Been arguing for a flat shaving method for a decade now.

Took me a couple of stubborn years to bring that spine down. Amazing how the ingrown hairs don't happen so often anymore. Keep at it.

I still can't get over it... I was feeling my face all day long instead of working LOL I couldn't keep my hands off myself I'm having way too much enjoyment from this new straight razor shaving... good thing I can't find a shop near me that sells supplies or I'd own one of everything they sold by now

one thing I can ask though... can you use too much aftershave.. I LOVE the scent of my brothers grim aftershaves but the Nivea post shave balm seems to work wonders so I end up using both one for the effect and then the other on top after a bit for the scent.

can you use too much aftershave

Speaking as the guy that gets into the elevator as you get off, yes.

The tricky thing is that "too much" for me may be "almost nothing" to you. That in addition to the fact that we tend to get used to anything that we are constantly exposed to.

The rule of thumb I have heard is that if you can smell yourself you are wearing too much scent.

LOL very well put I was more asking as towards the moisturizing properties can you over do it to when it becomes bad instead of good I use axe deodorant so no matter what aftershave I use no one will ever smell it but me

I use both regularly. Some aftershaves seem to have more of an oil after initial dry . If I apply balm after that I do not like the shine on my skin.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
A tight angle is indeed the key to a comfortable shave. A 30 degree angle is likely scraping your skin. I’m retired and spend most of my day with my Schnauzers and they have never complained about my aftershave so I use as much as I damn well please. However, if you spend your day around humans, use caution. As for deodorant, I just use an alum block.

Yet again tonight.... I did a 3 pass shave after work same low angle on the second and third passes and once again NO irritation... however there was blood I tried a new grip for this hard to get spot below my jawline from ear to chin... the second it hit my skin I new I was bitten but I look at this as learning but it seems that the low angle is my key to not having a neck on fire for a day :)

It makes me feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it a little bit lets see if the next shave is just as successful!

I"m 100% shocked right now... still sticking true to the XTG and ATG passes being VERY LOW ANGLE 3 out of the last 4 shaves have been the best I've ever had tonight being the #1... it was my gold dollar with my own handmade custom walnut scales, Barrister and Mann seville soap, An alum block from Maggardrazors (first time ever using one)Nivea after shave balm and a synthetic brush from Shavenation. all I can say is OMG I had no idea the skin on my face could feel this smooth... I know there is talk about BBS in the wet shaving world but tonight I put BBS to shame this face right now is MonoxideSmooth!!:a11: I have no idea if it was the soap the alum block or if I"m actually starting to get the hang of the SR but I just can't keep my hands off of my face right now. I stand here patting myself on the back for a job well done and also I would like to thank EVERYONE here on B&B for all the info and help. My name is Monoxide (or Ray if you prefer my real name) and I'm addicted to wet shaving and I will NEVER have it any other way for the rest of my life!

Repeatability is the proof that "you got it"! Congratulations!
:a14:

But do be prepared. Change the razor, the soap, or the brush, and you have to relearn that specific combination. Subtle differences, but differences none the less. That's one of the things that keeps this hobby challenging and fresh for years and years.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I"m 100% shocked right now... still sticking true to the XTG and ATG passes being VERY LOW ANGLE 3 out of the last 4 shaves have been the best I've ever had tonight being the #1... it was my gold dollar with my own handmade custom walnut scales, Barrister and Mann seville soap, An alum block from Maggardrazors (first time ever using one)Nivea after shave balm and a synthetic brush from Shavenation. all I can say is OMG I had no idea the skin on my face could feel this smooth... I know there is talk about BBS in the wet shaving world but tonight I put BBS to shame this face right now is MonoxideSmooth!!:a11: I have no idea if it was the soap the alum block or if I"m actually starting to get the hang of the SR but I just can't keep my hands off of my face right now. I stand here patting myself on the back for a job well done and also I would like to thank EVERYONE here on B&B for all the info and help. My name is Monoxide (or Ray if you prefer my real name) and I'm addicted to wet shaving and I will NEVER have it any other way for the rest of my life!
It isn’t the soap. It looks like you are learning to shave. Congrats.

Top Bottom